AXS self-preservation mode works

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I gotta give credit to SRAM engineers for designing in this safety feature that would have probably destroyed a conventional rear derailleur. During my ride at Port Jervis yesterday a stick about 2 feet long and about 1.5"-2" in diameter got stuck in between the derailleur and the cassette. The front of the stick was near the bottom bracket. I heard something but kept going for about 5 to 10 feet before I looked down and saw that stick. If the front of that stick caught a rock it would have jammed it back and do some real damage. I was able to stop right away and pulled the stick out of the AXS derailleur. As soon as I pulled it out I can hear the servo bring the derailleur cage back to the correct position and I was able to keep riding with no issues. This means the derailleur gave way to accommodate the stick instead of letting the stick bend or snap something. Great job, SRAM.

Glad it worked out for you . I have a x01 axs that I killed . Tried a log ride and slid off on drive side . My ego and wallet were equally hurt 🤣🤣
I guess no matter how much thought, testing, M&S you put into a design if you wack it a certain way hard enough you can destroy anything. It's just a game of chances.

I have an AXS Rd on my Xc bike and my enduro race bike....id say im up to about 6 good saves now.

My battery was dead today. So was the other one. Luckily there was one with a little juice.
This is why now I carry a spare battery for both the derailleur and shifter. At the same PJ ride I thought about how I haven't charged the derailleur since I started using it, good thing I have a spare one if it runs out today. I was going to swap out the battery at the next stop to get ahead of it but I decided not to because another thought came to mind, I wondered if the engineers thought about the event of running out of battery while riding and programed it to shift to the lowest (easiest) gear the moment before the battery cuts out. So now I'm going to just keep running on the original battery until runs out of power and see what happens.

Oh, to those who have actually download the SRAM AXS app on their phone, does it show the power level state of discharge of the battery?

This is why now I carry a spare battery for both the derailleur and shifter. At the same PJ ride I thought about how I haven't charged the derailleur since I started using it, good thing I have a spare one if it runs out today. I was going to swap out the battery at the next stop to get ahead of it but I decided not to because another thought came to mind, I wondered if the engineers thought about the event of running out of battery while riding and programed it to shift to the lowest (easiest) gear the moment before the battery cuts out. So now I'm going to just keep running on the original battery until runs out of power and see what happens.
It stays in what ever gear your in when it dies . Also removing battery for transportation greatly increases its life before needing charge because the movement while driving is constantly waking it up .

It stays in what ever gear your in when it dies .
Maybe I should make the suggestion of programming it to shift to lowest gear before the power cuts out to SRAM if I can figure out how to do it... unless someone has a reason why that would be a bad idea.

Oh, to those who have actually download the SRAM AXS app on their phone, does it show the power level state of discharge of the battery?
Update the firmware. Should increase battery life.

As a side here, my Rallon has a shimano cass, KMC chain and Sram axs der. This bike seems smoother and quieter than my all SRAM bike. I also run a 34 x 10/51 on this bike. Seems the setup to have. I could pretty easily have like a 13/51 cass for how I actually use the bike, but the rare road section does find me in the 10.

AXS upgrades are wildly common in the shop this year and we have more than doubled what I estimated would be our sell through.

At this point, this technology is far from futuristic. It's the now.

Those with an Eagle NX or SX kit can really see a improvement with a GX AXS upgrade it. I also recommend saving your mechanical der and shifter such that you can bring the axs stuff to your next bike.

There is a next gen of this stuff coming shortly which will be nice if your bike has the UDH hanger. Can't say yet that its worth waiting for, but it does appear way more low profile and streamlined

1664116524821.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom