Auto Insurance

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Anybody here use AAA for auto insurance? In the past month my son became a licensed driver and my wife added a new BMW to the driveway. Those two items more than doubled our insurance bill from Liberty Mutual.

I've been looking around online for better rates and I am trying to figure out why AAA is so low. Broker claims he went through existing policy and matched our coverage. His quote is less than I was paying before last months changes. Seems too good to be true.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I had liberty and it was,stupid expensive. the quote you got from Aaa was probably legit.

I went with allstate and saved a bunch

rick81721

Lothar
We have NJ manufacturers which supposedly has good rates but when you are adding a new driver, esp a boy, expect rates to increase dramatically.

moose35

you could also try NJ CURE.
got a great price from them.( several thousand less per year then anyone else )

Dingo

I have allstate. Got a quote from liberty just to see if it would be less. Nope, it was 900.00 more for less coverage. No accidents or claims in 40+ yrs of driving.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
you could also try NJ CURE.
got a great price from them.( several thousand less per year then anyone else )

Never heard of them so I just googled them. Read the reviews, think I'll pass. Liberty may be overpriced, but I've never had any problems when we made a claim.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I used to change insurance every 2-3 years. Found most places gave lower quotes then creeped up every renewal even though we had no accidents or tickets. Currently with Plymouth Rock who does NJ Teachers Insurance and they've been pretty good, rates haven't increased in 2 years. Not sure if that's the teachers part of it, but they may be worth a look.

Edit or it might be because both my wife and I are in our 30s now..... never considered that late 20s might have been a higher risk group back with those other policies

AndyJ

Watch out for the teaser rates. Most auto insurance companies give a "prior insurance" discount for having a policy at a competitor in order to try to get you to switch. That discount either disappears completely after the first year or phases out over time. I had been looking at the rate sheets filed with the state a few months ago when doing an insurance check-up, and with some companies, that discount was significant... up to 40% in one case I saw (in that case, the discount was phased out over a few years, so unless the base rates went down, you were guaranteed a yearly increase in your bill.) Of course, you could just keep switching companies every few years...

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have allstate. Got a quote from liberty just to see if it would be less. Nope, it was 900.00 more for less coverage. No accidents or claims in 40+ yrs of driving.

i guess they think you are due?

stick with mutual companies. someone needs to explain to me why insurance companies are publicly traded entities.....

"Hi - we estimate it is going to cost X to insure you, so we are going to charge X*1.1 so we can cut dividends to our investors"

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I used to change insurance every 2-3 years. Found most places gave lower quotes then creeped up every renewal even though we had no accidents or tickets. Currently with Plymouth Rock who does NJ Teachers Insurance and they've been pretty good, rates haven't increased in 2 years. Not sure if that's the teachers part of it, but they may be worth a look.

Edit or it might be because both my wife and I are in our 30s now..... never considered that late 20s might have been a higher risk group back with those other policies

I ignored as it crept up from $2k to $3k over the years. But at over $7k I figured it was worth the effort to start shopping around. Checked Progressive and they were stupid low because they recommended almost no coverage for 2 of the 3 cars. AAA was almost as low, but they matched our exiting coverage line by line.

roc

I ignored as it crept up from $2k to $3k over the years. But at over $7k I figured it was worth the effort to start shopping around. Checked Progressive and they were stupid low because they recommended almost no coverage for 2 of the 3 cars. AAA was almost as low, but they matched our exiting coverage line by line.
Check out New Jersey manufacturers, great insurance, good pricing. Anne bundle it with your home insurance.

Dingo

You've all been scammed. No insurance, best insurance.
I almost have no insurance. My 10 yr old car that I bought brand new has never had collision ins. Everyone says thats stupid, well its 10 yrs that I did not pay into fixing other peoples wrecks. Took my chances.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I almost have no insurance. My 10 yr old car that I bought brand new has never had collision ins. Everyone says thats stupid, well its 10 yrs that I did not pay into fixing other peoples wrecks. Took my chances.

That's an expensive gamble if you're starting with a $50k car.

Dingo

Asked a friend that works in a body shop. Liberty and Progressive are the hardest to deal with as for getting claims paid or covered. NJM is his recommendation, if you can get in.

Another bad experience from a coworker. His cheesy $3000.00 home depot trailer was rear ended while stopped at a light. He had full coverage from NJM. Since it was the other persons insurance, he had to go through them to get it repaired or paid for. Progressive fought him tooth and nail to not pay out. They were dealing with the wrong guy. 3 month later he did get paid full value, and many hrs on the computer.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We have NJ manufacturers which supposedly has good rates but when you are adding a new driver, esp a boy, expect rates to increase dramatically.

just as an FYI it is now against the law in NJ to charge different rates based on gender, so a new female driver will jack up your rates as much as a new male driver (not what was meant to happen, but the rates for girls went up :/)

i can second NJM as if you can get it, do, they are super easy to deal with should you need to.

I will also recommend avoiding geico, they have paid out both times i have had to deal with them, but the process to get that to happen was insanely drawn out like they were hoping id give up and go away

THATmanMANNY

I have NJM but I really feel like they are gouging me on my USED Nissan Leaf I paid below market value for.

Are there any providers that I can insure the car (comprehensive and collision) where we agree on the value? To me it's only worth $6k.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have NJM but I really feel like they are gouging me on my USED Nissan Leaf I paid below market value for.

Are there any providers that I can insure the car (comprehensive and collision) where we agree on the value? To me it's only worth $6k.

do you have a lien/loan? I'd self insure at the $6k level. (meaning no collision, if i f-it up, i pay)

the chance of getting hurt adds to the cost - the metro costs more than the envoy, even with the extra seats.

Danimal

i just got my Farmers insurance bill today. Wish i paid more attention to it. It started at 1600 ish every 6 months 3 years ago, then crept up to 1800 ish in the last year. Todays bill is almost 2600!! wtf?! No accidents or points. My broker is a friend of mine, he's gonna be getting a ear full tomorrow!

Top Bottom