Attention Bergen County Riders!

ElZoller, you were sorely missed at the table I was at.
Velocity Boy, good to meet you and also to meet others at the meeting.

Thanks for coming out. There was a decent mountain bike turn out, which is a good. We were broken up into tables of mixed users and some tables may have been mostly hikers according to the table feedback. If you did not take the survey, please do so.

I ended up at the table that was being run by the main guy Rob that was speaking. Of course some people right away said stuff about mtn biking was bad due to trail erosion and I was able to straighten that out by saying that this was an old way of thinking with all the advances in educated trail building etc. By the end of the session ROb made a picture of a mtn bike on our table map on the northern section...Glad I was there.

So its all good??
Can I go now to Ramapo Mountain (Valley County) Reservation ??? :rolleyes:

VB, gimme back my beer!

For those of you who live in Bergen County, this is a very important opportunity. Some of you attended the early stages of this process 3 years ago! Your voices were heard, and one of the plan proposals (plan C) includes the potential for mountain biking.

We encourage Bergen County residents to attend the open house and speak up for your rights. You should not be sent elsewhere to take part in the healthy and environmentally compatible outdoor activity of mountain biking.

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/DocumentCenter/View/1961

==

Memorandum
Ramapo Mountains County Park Management Plan
County of Bergen
Department of Planning & Economic Development
One Bergen County Plaza • 4th Floor
Hackensack, NJ 07601

Date: September 16, 2013
Re: Bergen County Ramapo Mountains County Park Management Study
• Draft Management Plan Alternatives Newsletter & Public Open House
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
The development of the Ramapo Mountains County Park Management Plan Study moves forward.
We are pleased to issue a newsletter as part of the next step in the planning process and invite you to drop-in on the Open House to learn more about the management plan study.
To view the newsletter, please visit the Project Website at: www.co.bergen.nj.us/index.aspx?NID=202 and select the “DRAFT Alternatives Newsletter” link.
This newsletter was developed by taking the initial comments and suggestions from participants to form preliminary concept ideas on natural and cultural preservation, recreation use, and transportation and partnership options for the park. These preliminary concept ideas, or alternatives, lay out different directions for the park.
We invite you to review the draft management plan alternatives and share your thoughts with us. The comment period begins on September 3, 2013 and extends until November 4, 2013. Please provide comments electronically on the project website.

Ramapo Mountains County Park Management Plan Open House:

• Thursday, October 17, 2013, 5 to 8 p.m., Township of Mahwah Administration Building, Senior Activity Center, 475 Corporate Drive, Mahwah, New Jersey. (The entrance to, and parking for, the Senior Activity Center is located at the rear of the building.)

We hope you will take this opportunity to help us shape the vision of the Ramapo Mountains County Park, and we look forward to meeting you on October 17th.

This is a huge opportunity to create legal bike access and legal sustainable trail improvements. It only comes along every 10-15 years, so your comments are important in the next week.

If you were unable to make last nights open house, you can still leave comments in the drafts alternatives comments section. The 3 alternatives listed are not set in stone, and you are free to comment on any of them as often as you think of things. This opportunity will be available until Nov 4. They will be gathering the comments to draft new alternatives to be voted on by the county at that time.

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/index.aspx?nid=202

ny nj trail conference email

I just recieved this:

Dear Trail Conference Member and Supporter,
Do you enjoy the footpaths at Ramapo Valley Reservation, maintained by Trail Conference volunteers?
If yes, now is the time to let park managers know that you want to see these footpaths maintained as single-use trails (foot use only) into the future.
A master planning process for the park is now accepting public input on alternative visions for the park's future. Many would like to see mountain biking introduced as a new use at the Reservation.*
The Trail Conference does not oppose development of new mountain bike trails in appropriate areas of the 3,313-acre park. But we do oppose allowing mountain bike use on the footpaths that our volunteers have built and maintained for decades.
We encourage our members to defend single-use *footpaths at Ramapo Valley Reservation by leaving a comment before 5pm Monday, November 4, on this Bergen County Parks Department page:
http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/index.aspx?NID=202 or sending it directly to the master plan project manager Adam Strobel,
ramapoparkmp@co.bergen.nj.us.

do we have any form emails or way to get the word out?

Anyone draft anything that we can mass email (with valid points) to our riding community?

Yes, I got that too. If you would like to see multi-use trails, please leave your comments on the above link in the submit comments section. If you run out of space use the last box or submit many times to include all your comments.

Basically, what we have suggested is that the trails that intersect Ringwood State Park all be considered for multi-use and open for mountain biking. This would include Cannonball, Yellow and most trails on the western side of the mountain. The people steering the planning know this, but it is up to all of you to make this sound popular.

Please comment by Nov 4.

Just left my comments. If anybody wants to copy/paste, here is what I entered.

I would like to see multi-use trails.
I suggest that the trails that intersect Ringwood State Park all be considered for multi-use and open for mountain biking. This would include Cannonball, Yellow and most trails on the western side of the mountain.

The County of Bergen is once again working on a Park Management Plan. The Management Plan is a guide that lays out the vision for where the park wants to be and provides direction for getting there over the next 15-20 years. Your ideas and concerns will help create that vision for what kind of place the Bergen County Ramapo Mountains will be in the future.

As you may be aware, the current policy within Bergen County Parks is to prohibit mountain biking on county-owned lands. Its one of 3 counties that have an outdated policy on this issue so important to many of us.

If you're concerned about the lack of legal riding in Bergen County, especially if you're a county resident, you should get involved in this management plan's details and make your voice heard. Here's what to do:

The survey is at the following link:
https://cues.rutgers.edu/bergen-park-system/
Anyone can take this survey even non-county residents.

and.....more meetings!

Back
Top Bottom