Atrocious Bugs

xc62701

So Wildcat/Splitrock was BAD with deer flies yesterday. Any other parks having the same issue. Tourne Park - which is not far was ok. How’s the other northern parks? I’m a little shell shocked and deet didn’t deter those carnivorous flies.

Robin

Stewart was awful. I got bit on my back a few times today and even stopped to pick up a stick to swat my back.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i haven't been out, but i've discussed this with @mattybfat before - we don't have the attack flies down here in the RV, sourlands, or chimney rock.

Kaleidopete

ma latest non bike related purchase $15
Image1.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
I rode thru a swarm of gnats yesterday on the sourland ridge (road ride). Arms and face peppered, probably inhaled a few dozen

Dingo

Chimney rock ride Wed.
Just pedal the climbs faster than the bugs. I was at the top of 4-way, 5th gear and still could not out run them.

new breed of bug, or another hint I'm getting slower?

xc62701

I’m going to start wearing extra layers just so the bugs have more to get through before attacking.

mntal

Rode on the road yesterday and had flys (admittedly not my fastest climbing performance, but still). It's eat'n szn. As I was typing this, was wondering why we even have flies so had to look it up. I guess we need them, if not for anything else but to clean up my morning "accidents" in the woods when there was too much coffee and not enough prep time before riding time. So in essence, we are being chased by evil beings fueled by poop.

"From the maggots that break down organic matter in garbage, to pollination of our flowers and crops, the fly fills a niche in the ecosystem. Adult flies act to recycle when they feed on decaying waste such as dung and dead animals."

Mountain Bike Mike

Rode on the road yesterday and had flys (admittedly not my fastest climbing performance, but still). It's eat'n szn. As I was typing this, was wondering why we even have flies so had to look it up. I guess we need them, if not for anything else but to clean up my morning "accidents" in the woods when there was too much coffee and not enough prep time before riding time. So in essence, we are being chased by evil beings fueled by poop.

"From the maggots that break down organic matter in garbage, to pollination of our flowers and crops, the fly fills a niche in the ecosystem. Adult flies act to recycle when they feed on decaying waste such as dung and dead animals."

yeah ok but they are assholes.

Top Bottom