Are kids 12" tires obsolete?

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I have a Specialized Hotrock 12" that my son burned the tires off of with countless laps around the Manasquan reservoir.... passed on to his younger sister and i'm looking to put some fresh shoes on it.

It has 12x2.125 tires, which I can't seem to find at any of the usual online retailers. I found tons of 12.5x whatever tires, but when I compared to our stroller that has 12.5x2.50 tires the rim size is definitely different.

So I either suck at online searches (possible), they've been replaced long ago by 12.5" tires/wheels (also possible), or they're LBS only (all of which are closed right now and im too impatient to wait until this weekend to drive around to find the answer).

Anyone else run into this?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Saw those ones on ebay but didn't seem very confident. The stroller is pneumatic tires (actually the same ones, just smaller, that came on the 16" Cannondale I got from Halters). Originally I thought the same, but took a look and noticed the rim size is different between the two... so i know i can't take the 12.5 tires off the stroller and put them on the bike.

Looks like your spot on with the 12x2.0... looking at the new Specialized bikes that seems like the size. Guess no one else uses the 12" tire size so I'll swing by LBS this weekend and see what they have.

Was just surprised at the lack of 12" offerings. My son also wore out his 16" Cannondale tires in a year and there were lots of options for replacements. Was expecting the same for the 12s.... but then again, how many kids put enough miles on a 12" bike to ever need the tires replaced! lol

YoBikeLady

Is there an ISO number(the 2nd of the dashed numbers) on the 12" tire? That is the real measurement of the tire. If it is 203, then that is the same measurement as the 12 1/2".

BShow

I ordered some tires from schwalbe for my kids strider... this thread makes me hope that they're gonna fit!

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
All the kids are riding 14" wheels now - shallower angle of attack for rolling over obstacles, smooths out the trail chatter. Until next year when all the manufacturer's will tell you that 13" is the best of both worlds...

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Is there an ISO number(the 2nd of the dashed numbers) on the 12" tire? That is the real measurement of the tire. If it is 203, then that is the same measurement as the 12 1/2".

Winner winner!

The bike has 47-203 and the stroller has 62-203..... blew my mind because the wheel on the stroller is seemingly larger. Turns out the mag wheel on the stroller just has a higher wall than the metal rims on the bike, making it approx 1/2" larger overall OD. Put the stroller tire on the bike rim for added sanity check.

Props to fidodie who called it out in the first reply. I was blinded by the visual wheel size and never even thought to check the actual ISO number on the tire

Thanks! :)

Rogueldr

Was just surprised at the lack of 12" offerings. My son also wore out his 16" Cannondale tires in a year and there were lots of options for replacements. Was expecting the same for the 12s.... but then again, how many kids put enough miles on a 12" bike to ever need the tires replaced! lol

Wait, you have a 12" Specialized Hot Rock AND a 16" Cannondale?!! Did you rob my garage or something?!! Those are the exact 2 bike I have for my rug-rats!

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Lol....by any chance have you eyed up the 20" Trek Superfly for the next stage? If so, I highly recommend it. ;)

Top Bottom