Are Continetal GP4000ii "ok" for gravel?

02camaro

I have a road bike (giant defy) and i want to take it down the delaware/raritan tow path, i just dont want to be getting flats all the time. Currently i have 25mm Conti gp4000ii on there and that is the max i can fit. Am i going to be ok with these on the gravel tow path?

The googler says ill be ok, they certainly wont be the best and the conti 4 seasons would be better, but i dont feel like spending the moneys on new tires.

02camaro

We are second fiddle to google?

In that case, I will say go ride it and let us know. lol
you are more trust worthy than google lol.

im going to try it tomorrow just trying to plan how many tubes to bring :cool:. route i have planned is 30mi probably half road half tow path

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i've got a set of 25mm gatorskins set up on 10 spd rims if you want to borrow them
it will beat the hell out of an expensive tire, even if you don't get a flat......

qclabrat

You can and may escape a flat, but will be terribly uncomfortable. That's why so many here have ditch their road bikes.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
These GP4000’s are really nice and compliant road tires, I use them myself. But unlike @stb222 who can get a gazillion miles out of his, I get one season (at like 1/32 his annual mileage). Not from wear, from small cuts in the tread area. User error for sure, but I can’t imagine the towpath gravel not doing a number on the tire.

Just my 2c-

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
there was sections on the canal path by six mile i used to ride when i would commute to twork on my road bike with 25mm tires. i even rode over that drainage spill with the vertical bricks with no issues.

the chisel/screwdriver analogy is perfect though, it is the wrong tool for the job

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thise GP4000’s are really nice and compliant road tires, I use them myself. But unlike @stb222 who can get a gazillion miles out of his, I get one season (at like 1/32 his annual mileage). Not from wear, from small cuts in the tread area. User error for sure, but I can’t imagine the towpath gravel not doing a number on the tire.

Just my 2c-
I rip the shit outta the towpaths on 4000s II and any of the HOH dirt sections. I also rode places like Mercer meadows (prestine mixed use crushed stone paths) with zero issues. That being said, I switch to Vitoria CGIII for HOH.

I appear to be abnormal with these tires, I don’t know what it is but aside from some minor issues, they be good.

02camaro

Wrong tool for the job. Ever tried using a screwdriver as a chisel and it slips and barely misses going through your hand? It's like that.
this made me laugh. thanks guys for the solid words of wisdom.

i held off on my grand plan and will save it for another day with other tires. just got back from allaire with a few friends and now they put in my mind i need a fast rolling tire for my mtb and dhf/dhr is too much for allaire (i know they arent wrong). oh how its soooo easy to spend other peoples money lol

Terravail lickskillets. Your lift ticket to ride a road bike on the canal.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/pro...MIva_J8ayC2QIVkB2BCh24dgCcEAQYASABEgKfrvD_BwE
cant fit dem 28s doe. i tried before and it doesnt worky worky

Last edited:
Top Bottom