Anyone ride Rockleigh Woods?

Mick

I have been looking for a place to ride in Bergan county for the days I can't make it up to Ringwood. I just saw a thread about Rockleigh Woods on JORBA's site and was wondering if anyone on this board rides there? Where is the trail head? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

RNG1

Hey, a couple of us have been wondering about this as I am local also. I am not sure if I have been through this and just never knew that it was called this. It comes up googled as rockleigh woods sanctuary and lamont reserve. You can view the map as well. Let me know if you check it out as I would probably head there with you as I am in closter.

Mick

Definately want to check it out

I definately want to check it out, would you prefer a weekend or midweek after work?

RNG1

If it is a weekend it has to be super early, otherwise I can probably bag work early do a late afternoon during the week.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd like to check it out too as it's close by. Let me know what day you guys are planning to ride .. Early weekend is good for me as well some afternoons .. just not this weekend .. it's probably a swamp anyway.

Mick

Update on Rockleigh Woods

Today I finally ventured out to Rockleigh woods. I took the dog and decided to hike around. Next time I am definately bringing bike. Ringwood it is not, but it definately is worthy of exploration. Someone is riding in there. I saw bike tracks and logs that have been chewed by ig rings.. I also came upon some well hidden single track. I hope to get out there again this Monday. Anybody around?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let me know when you are riding there .. I've been meaning to get out there, but always pass in favor of going to Ringwood, etc... But I gotta check it out sometime since it's pretty close by.

Mick

Riding Rockleigh

I am planning on checking out Rockliegh woods tomorrow morning around 9am. I will be parking behind the municipal hall.

Mick

Rode Rockleigh today

Well I finally got around to riding Rockleigh today. It was my first bike excursion there. I ended up seing most f the mappped trails. I climbed the ridge using the roaring brook trail. It is a steep at points, but definately ridable. I followed the single track I mentioned yesterday and it terminated at route 9. It looks like it was primarily used by dirt bikers gaining entry in to the park.

After more riding I found myself in the Alpine Boyscouts camp, so I turned around. I think that Rockleigh is definately not a destination riding site, but it is good to get some dirt under you. I did enjoy the climb up the ridge. I will be back.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the review. Sorry couldn't join you .. lots of stuff going over the weekend.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finally went to check it out. I road my bike there which is like 10+ mile ride. I accidently entered at the scout camp red trail .. Google maps says it's a road! The red trail was pretty good riding.

Rockleigh itself was .. how do I put it nicely .. not very fantastic. It's ridable, but I had to dismount a bunch. The trail building techniques are not very good, sometime I felt like I'm riding through an eroded ditch. Had to dismount a bunch because of freezing water crossings, random ditches, downed tree, too steep incline, etc.. The red trail was short but pretty good with some medium rocky sections. Riding down it was best.

I only got to ride a part of it since my water was frozen and I was starting to get thirsty. I'll probably go back at some point to check out all the trails .. it's good for when I don't want to drive & want to do a combo of road and trails.

Winds were pretty nasty today and my toes were cold even with warmers. GPS:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21228128

ebineezer

any updates about this?? saw few videos on youtube and it looked pretty good
Yes, many people ride here and link it with the scout camp. Fortunately, rockleigh is one of the few legal parks in the area. Be sure to check out Blauvelt which isn't far from there.

jerzey111

Blauvelt is my closest park. Been there few times but just discoved rockleigh through Tenafly bike shop website but the climb from rockleigh boro parking looks tough. Any other good spots to park?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Blauvelt is my closest park. Been there few times but just discoved rockleigh through Tenafly bike shop website but the climb from rockleigh boro parking looks tough. Any other good spots to park?

on Anserson & Ruckman .. but you will still have a climb up

mustclime

I park at the borough and have not been bothered. I prefer to ride the scout camp. The main loop is 3.2 miles. The climb up to red dot and then over to Rockly and back is about 8 miles. There are a couple side trails in the camp now for different loops.

Top Bottom