Anyone interested in a beginner ride at Lewis Morris this Saturday?

Gary B

Is anyone interested in making a beginner type ride at Lewis Morris this Saturday? I haven't been on my bike in over a month so if you don't mind a guy who would probably have to walk most of the higher ascents, I would appreciate the company. I was looking at some time on Saturday afternoon but the time is still to be determined by how many people can make it by a set time. Let me know what time you can make it if you are interested. I'd like to get as many riders as possible. I'm relatively new to Lewis Morris trails with only some trail experience there, but I have a map if others don't know the trails better. I'd be happy to follow along instead of try to lead, I'd just like to get out on my bike again with a group.

Gary B

I'm interested. Never been there, but been wanting to check it out. I'm not great at climbing yet myself, so might be walking some too if its steep and/or rocky. I'm good for anytime

Last edited:
I should be getting my bike put together within about a week or 2 hopefully , so once thats done i could guide you guys around LewMo ... I know it pretty good and i havent been trail riding in months ! lol so i think we would be on the same level . Seems like we all live close by to each other as well .

Having an experienced guide with Lewis Morris would certainly help. I've been riding along in another Thursday afternoon beginner-intermediate group at Lewis Morris that just broke for the winter because of the lack of daylight. We had a leader there too to follow who knew all of the trails, so my memory to locate the less technical trails is vague.

Just in case anyone wants to join us (but things might be put off for a week, ....things are yet to be determined...), here is the address to Lewis Morris Park and the Sunrise Lake Parking Lot where all the mtn bikers meet:

Lewis Morris County Park
270 Mendham Rd
Morristown, NJ 07960

- Sunrise Lake Parking Lot
--Once inside the park keep to the right on the main road (not the dog park turn-off that goes to the left) and follow the road markers for Sunrise Lake
--Meet in the paved Sunrise Lake Parking Lot further down the hill inside the park. (not the gravel lot on the main road). The parking lot is right next to Sunrise Lake.

Thanks for the offer. I'll wait to hear what your hours are for Saturday. Three o'clock might be the latest we can start being it gets darker on the trails with all the tree cover before it gets just as dark in the parking lot. A 90-minute to 2-hour ride would be great, but it all depends on how well we are still in shape to do it and the time we can do it in before dark. As you know, Lewis Morris isn't rocky, but it is very hilly and some trail sections are covered in endless tree roots that can slow people down. They recently did Trail Maintenance there a few weeks back so the trails should be in pretty good shape. I'll wait for your reply. The weather for Saturday (so far) is planned to be sunny and around 70 degrees. I hope that more people that read this are interested and able to join for the ride.

Anyone else interested in joining, please check back often. We will eventually get the time set so we can all meet in the Sunrise Lake parking lot (park address and directions provided earlier in this thread) and get a ride in. It will be a "no-drop", "no-pressure" beginner-intermediate type ride at a beginner pace so no one will get left behind. We basically all just want to get back out on our bikes again after being off them for some time. We will stop and wait at all trail intersections to regroup before we head off again so that no one gets left behind or lost on what trail to take next. Don't feel bad if you have to get off your bike to walk some of the sections, you won't be the only one.

Last edited:
Lew Mo

Im up for checking this place out.. However this Sat is a NoGo for me, since its my Kiddies Bday.. But keep me posted for sure

joe

I've been to Lewis Morris and man it's a great work out. But the downhill is very rewarding. I love the rooty section there with my full squish bike. Speaking of rewards, my buddy and I went to hickory tree deli in Chatham for lunch after the ride. They got the best roast beef sloppy joe sandwich. That makes me want to go back to Lewis Morris. Great work out + great sandwich = :):):)

I really like LM, and was riding there a 1-2 times a week. I've been off the bike for the last 3 weeks, so everything I've gained is probably lost. LOL I wanted to get out and ride today, but not sure if it's going to rain or not.

I'm trying to get my day scheduled for Saturday, it looks like I will be good for after 1pm.

-Kevin

The current weather and the arrival of Frankenstorm also has Saturday questionable. While the real storm isn't supposed to get to NJ until Sunday afternoon, it is overcast and drizzling around the Morristown area already this Friday morning and today was supposed to be a sunny day just like tomorrow (Saturday). Hate to be a downer but if the weather doesn't take a dramatic turn for the better by later today, tomorrow may be more of the same. Maybe to avoid any confusion about if or if not to meet for a ride this week at 2:30, would it be bettter to put the ride off until next weekend instead? ......Just asking. Riding sounds great, but having everybody drive up to Lewis Morris just to find the weather or lighting conditions there are bad, doesn't seem worth it. I'm up for suggestions as to whether you would still want to ride tomorrow with the chance that the weather might be bad (dark and overcast that would make the trails even darker due to the heavy tree cover), OR to just put the ride off until next Saturday or Sunday and chance the weather is better then. I'm just trying to organize everything so that we could get a good ride in without anyone doubting if meeting for the ride is really worth the effort. The more people that show would make a better ride, but if the overcast weather is a factor would you still want to meet?

Any suggestions ???

I'm out, ill probably be at work from Sunday all the way till the flood waters recede, hope you can get the ride in, walk up a hill for me.

I'm going to keep an eye on the weather and play it by ear. I haven't ridden in a while and i'm itching to get out there.

I'm only a half hour away, so if any of you still decide to go, I can be up there with not much notice.

At this point, I plan on riding. I'm also up for next weekend as well, if anyone wants to meet up, shoot me a pm.

-Kevin

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

If this storm is as bad as they say it will be then you can expect trees down and they will not necessarily get cleared quickly.

I agree. getting the feeling i'll be doing some volunteering in order to get back on the trails.

it would be cool if this ride happens

Sorry everyone but I have to cancel out to attend Saturday's ride for personal reasons.

I'll try to keep everyone in the loop if the weather next week is good so we can plan another ride.

It looks like jmartz and I are going to try and get for 3:30. It's cloudy, but all next week is going to be a loss and who knows the condition of the place after the storm.

If anyone else wants to join up, come on out. I haven't been on the bike in 3 weeks, so it will be a slow pace ride.

-Kevin

It looks like jmartz and I are going to try and get for 3:30. It's cloudy, but all next week is going to be a loss and who knows the condition of the place after the storm.

If anyone else wants to join up, come on out. I haven't been on the bike in 3 weeks, so it will be a slow pace ride.

-Kevin

Hey guys! Im down for a slow pace ride.
I will probably join in after my regular loop. Hopefully be done by the time you guys meet.
Dark Gray Mits Lancer.

Back
Top Bottom