Anyone ever mountain bike in Hawaii?

Stocky

Be sure to stop into Haliewa on the North Shore it's great little town . It's on your way to Wiamea, Pipe and all the other breaks .

Anyplace you see a roadside stand selling fresh Bananas or Pineapple make it your business to stop ... Like nothing you've ever eaten as far as fresh right off the vine .

An absolute must is Giovanni's Shrimp truck . Do google search for "Shrimp Truck"
http://www.yelp.com/biz/giovannis-shrimp-truck-kahuku

Also and very important is NEVER ,EVER ,EVER leave anything in plain site in your car , for that matter don't leave anything in your trunk that you don't want stolen and DON'T get to the beach and be seen putting your valuables into your trunk .
YOU'RE CAR WILL GET BROKEN INTO .

Remember this is not NJ , driving down a dirt road or taking a hike off the main trail is not reccomended.

Rental cars are super easy to spot based on style and plate tags .

Dr Superb

I don't know if you are a Lost fan or not, but the Shrimp Truck from the show is near Haleiwa as well. Definetly go to that town. It's a laid back surf town. very nice.

If you are a Lost fan, let me know, there are a lot of film locations in Oahu. Particularly in Honolulu, and the North Shore area...

Stocky

I know that the shrimp truck has moved around over the years . There used to be just one and it was a few clicks past the Turtle Bay Hilton and that's the original one going back to the late 90's . They are actually from Newark .

I'm not sure if they also run the truck on the outskirts of Haliewa.

My wife and I have perfected making the shrimp truck shrimp at home .... EVERYONE we make it for raves about it, but there's nothing like the real thing.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for all the info ladies and gentlemen. If I do try surfing, ill stay away from anything big. Now if I could only figure out how to get myself some first class tickets without paying $5000 :)

vanseggern1

Thanks for all the info ladies and gentlemen. If I do try surfing, ill stay away from anything big. Now if I could only figure out how to get myself some first class tickets without paying $5000 :)

Tell them you're on your honeymoon. May not work but can't hurt. I've heard of people getting bumped up for that.

Sven Migot

I did the "Maui downhill" over 20 years ago. It was great. They drive you up the volcano before dawn. They give a old Schwinn beach cruiser with DRUM brakes and you cost down for a long long time. Temps were in the 30s at the top, 80s at the bottom. I'm sure they have better bikes by now. Awesome experience!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did the "Maui downhill" over 20 years ago. It was great. They drive you up the volcano before dawn. They give a old Schwinn beach cruiser with DRUM brakes and you cost down for a long long time. Temps were in the 30s at the top, 80s at the bottom. I'm sure they have better bikes by now. Awesome experience!

I skipped this after I met Paul from crater cycles in Maui...He rented me a big travel bike and his wife drove us up to the top of the volcano....We then rode all kinds of trails down the mountain. Super fun.

Up top was wild
44901_1625281640066_1599764_n.jpg

xc62701

Top of haleakela is like being on mars. Do the trails. Or better yet ride UP it

I rode up it. Well a good portion of it. I did the first 15 miles. I was feeling sick and totally gassed after riding 20 miles to the base of the climb from the hotel. The last 10 miles up were going to take too long so I met up with the wife and drove the rest of the way to the top. Then bombed down it. Riding down was almost as tiring as climbing up. I need to go back and finish that climb.

Top Bottom