Anybody with a diabetic cat?

serviceguy

We've been watching Bubba the Cat slowing down progressively during the last two weeks and when we noticed that he started walking funny with his hind legs (in a rabbit-like manner for lack of a better term) we knew if was time for him to see the vet. He had a fully clean bill of health on February when he was last checked and had otherwise always been pretty healthy.

Yesterday the blood/urine results came back and the little guy is diabetic. There's a few options to deal with it, just curious if anybody had the same issue and what to expect, as the wife almost instantly freaked out while I don't think it's that great of a deal...
2114.JPG

RobW

there is plenty to do, most of the time the animal will go blind but quality of life will be better in the long run. sometimes hair loss is present as well. if he seems to be lethargic, bring to another vet for a second opinion.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
years ago we had a diabetic cat... for the most part, not a biggie... gave him some food and shot him in the bum with some insulin while he was eating. he DGAF about the shot if he got food out of it. i think he just required a few extra trips to the vet to make sure insulin was all good but no special diets for him at least.

Karate Monkey

years ago we had a diabetic cat... for the most part, not a biggie... gave him some food and shot him in the bum with some insulin while he was eating. he DGAF about the shot if he got food out of it. i think he just required a few extra trips to the vet to make sure insulin was all good but no special diets for him at least.

This lines up with the hospital cat that I helped care for for a couple of years. Their quality of life will be fine. Hardest part is learning to do the injection properly, and it's not hard.

serviceguy

Thanks for the feedback, wife is (was) a nurse, so I'm hoping that will not be much of a concern, even though she tends to be too 'soft' around animals (i.e. when we had to give him antibiotics pills she would try 'nicely' and he would end up foaming at the mouth and spitting the pill out, while I would just stick the pill down his throat before he had time to even realize I was holding his mouth open...). The vet made us buy a blood sugar meter machine so the extra trip to the vet should not even be in the picture.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I did insulin shots a cat for awhile. They are very small needles and you shoot them at the back of the neck. Very easy.

Top Bottom