Any YT Jeffsy Owner’s in North Jersey?

JohnnyWestood

John, I have an XL Tallboy 29 R kit in stock that you're welcome to try. Also, Santa Cruz Demo Trailer will be at Mahlon Dickerson on Saturday June 9th
CycleBoy! It was a great demo day. Cheers to everyone involved. It was my first exposure to VPP, and I don’t know what to make of it. Based on the travel indicators front and back I was using the travel the bikes had to offer, but my butt, hands and feet told me something different. I’m still processing, but confused. Does the rear lockout under pedaling? Do the techs set the bikes up super stiff? I’ve ridden Fox 36’s before that were buttery smooth, but even the forks felt stiff. I was like where’s the suspension? I rode the HTLT, Bronson and Tallboy. Very efficient, very few pedal strikes! On the down side, I didn’t feel like the suspension was helping me that much. Is it all setup?

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
How much do you weigh? I can't speak to characteristics of VPP as I have never owned a Santa Cruz and don't have any first hand knowledge with regards to them. I assume you are a heavier guy just a direct correlation to your height. You will almost certainly need to install volume reducers/tokens in the fork and shock to make them more progressive. This means you can run a lower pressure which will make them supple and buttery smooth in the initial travel but they will firm up towards the end of the travel to resist bottoming out. Generally bikes don't come with any volume reducers/tokens installed from the factory.

JohnnyWestood

How much do you weigh? I can't speak to characteristics of VPP as I have never owned a Santa Cruz and don't have any first hand knowledge with regards to them. I assume you are a heavier guy just a direct correlation to your height. You will almost certainly need to install volume reducers/tokens in the fork and shock to make them more progressive. This means you can run a lower pressure which will make them supple and buttery smooth in the initial travel but they will firm up towards the end of the travel to resist bottoming out. Generally bikes don't come with any volume reducers/tokens installed from the factory.
I am about 220 with pack. The Santa Cruz tech told me that I would need volume reducers and maybe a shock wiz session. Which is fine, but the Pivot Mach 5.5 felt super plush right out of the box. I know I sound like a broken record and even I am getting tired of hearing it. But that bike rode great with minimal set up when I picked it up. Asked my weight, did the bounce test, adjusted the seat height and I was riding over things, and not blowing through the travel either. I took pics of the bike as I got back to the car and I hadn’t used all the travel front or back. Nothing else I have demoed felt like that. The closest was a Giant Trance. We’re talking Ibis (also DW link), Devinci, Yeti, Bikes that anyone would say are top notch. I am even questioning myself, was the Pivot really that good? Am I looking back with rose colored glasses? Or is that the bike for me and that’s it?

I made my mind up on Friday to buy the Pivot. As luck would have it, the shop was closed for a family wedding. So I went to the SC demo hoping to fall in love. I didn’t, but I think that it may be a set-up thing.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
VPP is really plush. I went from a Yeti asr to an Intense 5.5evp and night and day. I was looking to get away from racier geometry to more enduro lt type bike and the Intense did it. I ride Tourne a lot since it's just a couple miles from my house and the Intense really smoothed that place out. Stuff I would thread around I just plowed over. I've run everything but double black diamonds at Mt Creek with it too and it handles that just fine. I just love it.

JohnnyWestood

VPP is really plush. I went from a Yeti asr to an Intense 5.5evp and night and day. I was looking to get away from racier geometry to more enduro lt type bike and the Intense did it. I ride Tourne a lot since it's just a couple miles from my house and the Intense really smoothed that place out. Stuff I would thread around I just plowed over. I've run everything but double black diamonds at Mt Creek with it too and it handles that just fine. I just love it.
I had the feeling that my experience wasn’t typical. Not writing Santa Cruz off yet. Or Imtense for that matter, if I can get on one soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Umm... i didnt want to say anything so that OP would pull the trigger on the Pivot. But since already said...my 18 HT is definitely more plush than the 17 Trance.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Different manufacturers bikes will feel different even if they use the same basic suspension design. Little differences in the linkage design can affect the leverage curve i.e. how progressive the rear end behaves regardless of the shock tune. To reference 2 bikes I have experience with the Maestro (Giant) suspension is linear and the YT suspension is quite progressive. My old Anthem blew through the travel like no tomorrow. Even with volume reducers in the shock it was still too squishy. The YT resists bottoming out even with a linear shock. When you get into the midstroke it starts to firm up. This is entirely related to the way the linkage of the frame is designed. You may be able to make a linear bike more progressive by adding tokens to the shock but you really can't make a progressive bike more linear aside from maybe switching from an air shock to a coil.

Dude. Buy the Pivot. It clearly was a great match for you. Figure out how to make the $$$ work and just buy it already. I can tell you that if you don't buy it you will lust after it. You will drool with envy every time you see one on the trail. You will convince yourself that whatever you bought instead isn't the right bike and you will sell it....at a huge loss. Then you will buy the Pivot anyway.

And I am pretty sure if you buy a new bike it will stop raining. :cool:

JohnnyWestood

Umm... i didnt want to say anything so that OP would pull the trigger on the Pivot. But since already said...my 18 HT is definitely more plush than the 17 Trance.
How to explain the harshness then? Do I need to stop pedaling going over rocks and roots to get it to open up? My mission is to get back on a VPP this week.

JohnnyWestood

Different manufacturers bikes will feel different even if they use the same basic suspension design. Little differences in the linkage design can affect the leverage curve i.e. how progressive the rear end behaves regardless of the shock tune. To reference 2 bikes I have experience with the Maestro (Giant) suspension is linear and the YT suspension is quite progressive. My old Anthem blew through the travel like no tomorrow. Even with volume reducers in the shock it was still too squishy. The YT resists bottoming out even with a linear shock. When you get into the midstroke it starts to firm up. This is entirely related to the way the linkage of the frame is designed. You may be able to make a linear bike more progressive by adding tokens to the shock but you really can't make a progressive bike more linear aside from maybe switching from an air shock to a coil.

Dude. Buy the Pivot. It clearly was a great match for you. Figure out how to make the $$$ work and just buy it already. I can tell you that if you don't buy it you will lust after it. You will drool with envy every time you see one on the trail. You will convince yourself that whatever you bought instead isn't the right bike and you will sell it....at a huge loss. Then you will buy the Pivot anyway.

And I am pretty sure if you buy a new bike it will stop raining. :cool:
Why don’t you just go buy the Pivot? KIDDING. Being a brat. I can make the money work, it’s not like the Santa Cruz is any cheaper. I think I have found a shop that sells Pivot AND finances. If things go the way I think they will, I’ll be able to pay it off at the end of the month anyway, but just in case it doesn’t having 12 months at zero % makes it totally doable. Then I can shut up about this already.

Reactions: Tim

JohnnyWestood

I'm thinking sag wasn't set correctly. Prolly needed more air.
Perhaps. I’ve read that a few PSI can make a difference. I also have to say that SC having XXL sizes available was nice. I try to downplay my height. Been a big pain in the ass my whole life, so I appreciated the fit of the HTLT XXL.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
CycleBoy! It was a great demo day. Cheers to everyone involved. It was my first exposure to VPP, and I don’t know what to make of it. Based on the travel indicators front and back I was using the travel the bikes had to offer, but my butt, hands and feet told me something different. I’m still processing, but confused. Does the rear lockout under pedaling? Do the techs set the bikes up super stiff? I’ve ridden Fox 36’s before that were buttery smooth, but even the forks felt stiff. I was like where’s the suspension? I rode the HTLT, Bronson and Tallboy. Very efficient, very few pedal strikes! On the down side, I didn’t feel like the suspension was helping me that much. Is it all setup?
They did set up the bikes a little stiff. I noticed on one I rode that the tire pressure was jacked way up. I literally took out 15 to 20 psi out of one I rode. That can make a huge difference.

Top Bottom