Any YT Jeffsy Owner’s in North Jersey?

JohnnyWestood

Hello,

My dream bike purchase was dealt a major blow this weekend, and it may be for the best. The price was out of my budget, but I am limited in what I can demo due to my size so I considered just going for it. I would have had to sell my road bike to help pay for it creating another hole.

I love bike shops, and I have been working with some great ones, but the direct to consumer brands are offering a lot. I have located exactly 4 XL bikes that are available to demo in the area and they are all north of $4500, beyond what I imagined I would be spending.

If I am doomed to buy a bike that I cannot demo, why not go for one that is an incredible value?

So I am reaching out to the forum to see if anyone rides a Jeffsy on NNJ type trails (Ramapo, Waywayanda...) and if so what you think about it.

Thanks!

I have a friend up in the Stewart/909 area that picked one up a few months ago, his dream bike. He always rode Trek’s and got tired of their proprietary junk and got the Jeffsy. Seems to be really happy with it and got him back into riding.

@sptimmy43 rides one, but sure it's not an XL
It's an interesting amount of travel at 140, I considered the Capra last year but go something else instead

What's a "Jeffsy"?
1526909852499.png

@Juggernaut - you know the shock alignment makes me very happy on this one
also using the downtube allows an interesting top tube configuration.

Also I hear the YT bikes run small especially on the top tubes. Notice the XL range is 6' to 6'6"
do your homework before ordering...

I spoke with a Pivot owner last year at JH who said YT would be his next bike.
I know of one Capra owner who loves it.
Buying sight unseen and no local dealer can be daunting.

I spoke with a Pivot owner last year at JH who said YT would be his next bike.
I know of one Capra owner who loves it.
Buying sight unseen and no local dealer can be daunting.

I'm a little leery of these foreign mail order brands. Yes, they get good reviews (along with every other bike reviewed), but what happens when you break one? How many weeks do you need to wait? I have bike that I bought from a domestic maker, and broke myself and the frame in bad crash last year. I called the company, actually spoke to the owner, had a replacement 2 days later at a discount. Is YT and Canyon going to do this for you? Doubt it based on the customer reviews that I've seen.

I'm a little leery of these foreign mail order brands. Yes, they get good reviews (along with every other bike reviewed), but what happens when you break one? How many weeks do you need to wait? I have bike that I bought from a domestic maker, and broke myself and the frame in bad crash last year. I called the company, actually spoke to the owner, had a replacement 2 days later at a discount. Is YT and Canyon going to do this for you? Doubt it based on the customer reviews that I've seen.
I agree. I posted two years ago about my friend's cross country ride on a Trek.
https://www.strava.com/activities/654399861
The frame cracked out west and in two days he was back riding again thanks to a call to Mike at Town Cycle where he got it. I know that is an extreme case of getting service when you need it, but it shows how good dealer support can make a big difference.

I share this concern. I really do. Also I would feel like a total douche walking it in to shop if I needed service tha I couldn’t figure out how to do. I love and respect bike shops.

That said, the only demos I can get are on $4k+ Bikes. Most are well over that even. We’re talking the Yeti’s, Pivot’s, Ibis and Devinci’s of the world. And only one maybe 2 models from each.

I’m faced with either blowing a hole in my finances, or buying something without riding it. I feel like even if the Jeffsy sucks, at least I can swap all the parts over to a different frame in a couple years.

I share this concern. I really do. Also I would feel like a total douche walking it in to shop if I needed service tha I couldn’t figure out how to do. I love and respect bike shops.

That said, the only demos I can get are on $4k+ Bikes. Most are well over that even. We’re talking the Yeti’s, Pivot’s, Ibis and Devinci’s of the world. And only one maybe 2 models from each.

I’m faced with either blowing a hole in my finances, or buying something without riding it. I feel like even if the Jeffsy sucks, at least I can swap all the parts over to a different frame in a couple years.

Dude, if I were you, I would go checkout out Giant and Santa Cruz. Plenty of dealers in North Jersey carry them (Cycle Craft for example, I'm sure there are more). Giant gives you alot of bike for your money, and both Giant and Santa Cruz make big, long bikes. You shouldn't have an issue demoing them, because they'll have bikes on the floor. If they don't have XL's, riding a large will give you a good idea of how much bigger an XL will be. Go someplace like Cycle Craft for ex. and they'll measure you for a bike. Going the "boutique" route like Yeti, Pivot, Ibis, etc. you're going to pay alot for just a mid-spec bike. Sure, the suspension designs are nice, but you're limiting yourself price wise.

I'm pretty surprised by the current customer service I've heard from YT. You would think in this day and age their customer service would be top notch but they seem to not be as good as the older brands.

I looked at YT before deciding on my Santa Cruz. The YT bike could be better, but between lack of support, inability to demo (which is HUGE) and the price difference actually not being that much of a spread, I didn't get a YT.

Do none of those companies offer lower end models? I was able to demo a $4500 version of the bike I purchased, but I bought a version costing way under that. I'm sure they $4500 version will ride nicer/better, but the majority of it comes down to geometry and suspension design.

Dude, if I were you, I would go checkout out Giant and Santa Cruz. Plenty of dealers in North Jersey carry them (Cycle Craft for example, I'm sure there are more). Giant gives you alot of bike for your money, and both Giant and Santa Cruz make big, long bikes. You shouldn't have an issue demoing them, because they'll have bikes on the floor. If they don't have XL's, riding a large will give you a good idea of how much bigger an XL will be. Go someplace like Cycle Craft for ex. and they'll measure you for a bike. Going the "boutique" route like Yeti, Pivot, Ibis, etc. you're going to pay alot for just a mid-spec bike. Sure, the suspension designs are nice, but you're limiting yourself price wise.
I considered this route, but sizing and fit are important, and riding the wrong size and trying to guesstimate how the larger size would feel seems like a leap of faith. Everyone told me to demo, demo, demo before buying. I feel it’s important to know exactly what I’m getting myself in to.

I may have to revisit this option though. Less than ideal, but I have to live within my budget.

I'm pretty surprised by the current customer service I've heard from YT. You would think in this day and age their customer service would be top notch but they seem to not be as good as the older brands.

I looked at YT before deciding on my Santa Cruz. The YT bike could be better, but between lack of support, inability to demo (which is HUGE) and the price difference actually not being that much of a spread, I didn't get a YT.

Do none of those companies offer lower end models? I was able to demo a $4500 version of the bike I purchased, but I bought a version costing way under that. I'm sure they $4500 version will ride nicer/better, but the majority of it comes down to geometry and suspension design.
Yeti does not. Ibis does, but the one model I have access to in the correct size (Mojo3) has very dated geometry. Pivot could be an option in aluminum, but I spoke to the dealer who is having a demo day in a few weeks and he doubts there will be an XL Switchblade in the fleet. Devinci has a host of aluminum options, but the model I demo’d just wasn’t for me. I can’t demo the other models in my size.

I’m 6’5” so I’m in a little niche of the market that doesn’t get a lot of attention.

I considered this route, but sizing and fit are important, and riding the wrong size and trying to guesstimate how the larger size would feel seems like a leap of faith. Everyone told me to demo, demo, demo before buying. I feel it’s important to know exactly what I’m getting myself in to.

I may have to revisit this option though. Less than ideal, but I have to live within my budget.

Not as much of a leap of faith as you may think. Giant Reign and Santa Cruz Nomad (and no, not too much bike for North Jersey), in size large have huge stand-over and reaches of 465-475mm in Large, and 490-495mm in XL. If a large is in the"ball-park",but not quite, I'd find it hard to believe that the XL wouldn't hit the spot. Plus, I'm sure they'll measure you up in the store to make sure. I'm close to 6' (long legs, shorter torso), and those larges are too long me.

Not as much of a leap of faith as you may think. Giant Reign and Santa Cruz Nomad (and no, not too much bike for North Jersey), in size large have huge stand-over and reaches of 465-475mm in Large, and 490-495mm in XL. If a large is in the"ball-park",but not quite, I'd find it hard to believe that the XL wouldn't hit the spot. Plus, I'm sure they'll measure you up in the store to make sure. I'm close to 6' (long legs, shorter torso), and those larges are too long me.
I’ll give it a shot. Anything to break out of this holding pattern I’m in. I’m going to start circling back to the shops that were cool to me and see what else I can get my fanny on.

Have you checked out intense ? Since they switched to direct sales you can get a decent spec carbon bike for 3k .

Have you checked out intense ? Since they switched to direct sales you can get a decent spec carbon bike for 3k .
Funny you mention that. A local shop by me carries or should I say “carries” Intense. You can have shop support with direct to consumer pricing. Really cool. Their specs are good except for forks. Seems like they are giving you a fork one level down from what you’d expect based on the rest of the spec. The shop said they would reach out to see if they could get an XL in but I’m not holding my breath. Plus a read a bad review of the Recluse which scares me. In these days of glowing reviews, to see Outdoor Gear Lab and MBR give it so-so reviews is alarming.

Going the "boutique" route like Yeti, Pivot, Ibis, etc. you're going to pay a lot for just a mid-spec bike. Sure, the suspension designs are nice, but you're limiting yourself price wise.

I've thought/been thinking about a Yeti. Close to $5k before tax with SLX(!) brakes. Sure, they stop just fine but the XT levers are much nicer and you'd think they'd be on a bike at this price point. Wheels are nothing special, either. At least it's a Fox fork and Fox dropper post.

I think the Jeffsy certainly looks pleasing to the eye (kind of like an Ibis) and the value is pretty kick-ass. Also they do have a US HQ in California which could handle service issues if they arise. I have a Fezzari Nebo Peak (also customer direct) and they have been very responsive with warranty issues. Replaced a bent SRAM cassette no-questions-asked and also sent me two new Maxxis tires because mine were bleeding sealant. Note these were component issues and not frame issues but they still took care of me. That said I wouldn't recommend the Nebo Peak frame as it's kinda squishy on climbs (have to lock it out) but that Jeffsy looks sweet and I'd do it if I were in the market.

Back
Top Bottom