Any tricks for scraping

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
sealant off the inside of a tire?

seems like it is a "peel the sunburn" operation. what's the trick?

also, having trouble getting a bead on a tire i just took off, and moved to a different rim. sealant hadn't dried on the inside of this one, as it never leaked...
is it harder the second time around (twss) ??

using a compressor - mustang rims, ignitor tires, stan's rim strip.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
My home brew peels off easier than sunburn actually. It usually comes off in huge strips. Not sure about Stan's...
If it's a real thin layer and keeps ripping you're going to be there for a while ;-)
Having trouble getting the bead to seal? Are you using soap water on it? That helps it slide into place.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Mounting my rear tire the second time was a major pain in the ass for some reason. Figured it would take pretty quick but it was a fight.

Maybe there is something to that?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
When Jdog showed me how to do it, he used an old plastic tire lever that he ground an edge on, sized it to fit in the rim to get the old stuff off. He also removed the valve core so he could get a high volume of air in at one time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
got to check if the core is removable - good tip.

Using soap and water - have had zero problems last few times - perhaps there is too much latex stuck to the bead...

the rim strip came clean quickly, the tire wasn't as cooperative. Figured I'd leave it open to the air for a day, then try again. getting it off in half-dollar size pieces....

is there a locking presta chuck for a compressor on the market?
Been looking around and haven't seen any - would really like to set up that foot pedal they have on amazon with a gauge, and a lock on chuck to go hands-free.

going to wash the bike today also. then take it to HG for some BB clean up! I know they scatter when i pull in the parking lot :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why are you peeling the stans? Leave it. Remove the big clumps, leave the film inside the tire.

Patrick

Staff member
Why are you peeling the stans? Leave it. Remove the big clumps, leave the film inside the tire.

i like this option.

there is a cut in the tread that needs a patch on the inside, but just cleaning up that area would save some time.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i like this option.

there is a cut in the tread that needs a patch on the inside, but just cleaning up that area would save some time.

I never peel the stans, I believe this is at least part of the reason I have ignitors with more than 1000 miles on them

Patrick

Staff member
update -

Thanks for the tips - it seems the tire with the cut on it was ridden just a bit too long while low on air, and the sidewall has been compromised enough that that it leaks - good tread left - throwing in the trips-for-kids pile, suspect they run tubes.

The other tire took about 30 seconds to seat after cleaning up the bead with a scotchbright -

off to get some pumpkin dognuts then to HG.....coming in stealth this time so they can't all hide when pulling in the lot :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
fidodie, this is my old race tire...I finally retired it last night after riding it for all of 2012 and 2013. Im guessing it has about 1500-2000 miles on it.
20130926_222131.jpg

the inside after two years of just adding more stans...I think you could fire AK rounds at it now. :)

20130926_222154.jpg

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Utah - The inside of that tire looks like a geological formation. :D You should bury it in your backyard and in 1000 years when someone digs it up, I bet it looks exactly the same.

Patrick

Staff member
hope the new one makes it that far! i need to learn to ride 'lighter'.....or lose some more weight.....

Top Bottom