Any Jam Band fans

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Forgot to add another good one from the 90s is Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

Oh yeah! forgot about them.

thanks for the new bands to spec out.... did you listen to the link i posted up in the music thread? my cousin used to play in some big bluegrass band... still plays in the freewheel trio, and now a new EP

a new listen for me is Judah & The Lion- dudes rock out!

NP! Will check out the link!

Bluegrass music is in heavy rotation for me. Currently on my work playlist right now:

The OGs
Tony Rice
John Hartford
Del Mcourey
David Grizman
Bill Monroe
Doc Watson
Peter Rowan
Sam Bush
Newgrass Revival
Old and in the Way
Earl Scruggs

Newer Generation
Bryan Sutton
Jacob Jolif (young wiz kid Mandolin player that blows my mind)
Billy Strings (another young wiz kid. Flatpick guitar. high energy)
Greensky Bluegrass
Yonder Mountain String Band
Andrew Marlin
Thomas Cassell
Mile Twelve
Infamous Stringdusters
Section House
Hawktail
Rapidgrass

And tons more

Last edited:

RobW

Forgot to add another good one from the 90s is Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah! forgot about them.

NP! Will check out the link!

Bluegrass music is in heavy rotation for me. Currently on my work playlist right now:

The OGs
Tony Rice
John Hartford
Del Mcourey
David Grizman
Bill Monroe
Doc Watson
Peter Rowan
Sam Bush
Newgrass Revival
Old and in the Way
Earl Scruggs

Newer Generation
Bryan Sutton
Jacob Jolif (young wiz kid Mandolin player that blows my mind)
Billy Strings (another young wiz kid. Flatpick guitar. high energy)
Greensky Bluegrass
Yonder Mountain String Band
Andrew Marlin
Thomas Cassell
Mile Twelve
Infamous Stringdusters
Section House
Hawktail
Rapidgrass

And tons more[/QUOTE]
Got to see Sam bush and earl scruggs at RockyGrass in Colorado. Safe to say that bluegrass is the modern day jam band.

I do hear that Brooklyn has a big bluegrass scene, Incase you were into seeing some live music

roc

Saw a band called Max creek a long time ago, definitely a jam band. Not sure if they are still around. If you like the dead and widespread panic, you’ll probably like them.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw a band called Max creek a long time ago, definitely a jam band. Not sure if they are still around. If you like the dead and widespread panic, you’ll probably like them.

Saw them at Gathering of the Vibes in 1999.
Was a rockin show.

Their guitar player Scott Murawski currently plays in Mike Gordon’s band

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@capedoc
Add kitchen dwellers to the new grass section, saw them.

What is awesome is that Jam Bands are the sizzle right now, a lot of new and upcoming artist that covers multi platforms of genre's. Yes including bluegrass and new grass.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Been going to Phish shows since 1996. Dont really listen to them much outside of shows. The Magic of Phish is all about being there.

I'm kind of with @Norm on Moe. Ive seen them a bunch in the 90's and early 2000's but they sound a bit generic and uninspired to me. A couple good moments but.. meh.

I like all kinds of music. but in the Jam Band vein here's some i dig:

Dead
The New Mastersounds
Lotus (i used to play shows with their dummer, Mike back in the day)
Marco Benevento (who I'm going to see next week. He's so much fun. Megan and I see him every time he's around)
Cory Wong
Vulfpeck
Lettuce
Soulive
Robert Walter's 20th Congress
Medeski Martin & Wood (not for everyone)
The Motet (although i wish they didnt get that singer. I prefer the instrumental stuff more)
Greyboy Allstars
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
Jamiroquai
John Scofield
The Meters
Pimps of Joytime
Stanton Moore
Turkuaz
Barika
Garage a Trois
Matador Soul Sounds
Dopapod
Octave Cat
Percy Hill

Does blue grass count as Jam Band? Iv'e been listening to TONS of bluegrass.

Most of these are nothing like the Dead or Phish. In general, I think there are 2 types of jam bands in today's world, maybe more.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most of these are nothing like the Dead or Phish. In general, I think there are 2 types of jam bands in today's world, maybe more.
Your talking more like griz I assume and electronic jam. There is some really good fusion like STS9.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So is DMB considered the Nickelback of jam bands?
Every genre needs to have a band, I happen to like DMB Live. But 90% of what I listen to is Live recordings. I got the sense that Twiddle falls in that category but man that was not the case the other night. I think 90% was just JAMMING.

RobW

Every genre needs to have a band, I happen to like DMB Live. But 90% of what I listen to is Live recordings. I got the sense that Twiddle falls in that category but man that was not the case the other night. I think 90% was just JAMMING.
agree... i cant listen to DMB's albums, i need to hear them live... they jam live but song for song on an album....MEH

listening to Greensky live at Levitate Festival now while on lunch... these guys are fun! thanks @capedoc ... i see they are playing the Peach, and also a show at pier 17 in august

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha yea these are mostly more Funk/jazz/soul
With a few exceptions

Top Bottom