An issue with some rouge trail work.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hey everyone I was asked by the park to put a post up about a jump line that was put in on a more or less main trail.View attachment 76494

This is the first of a double on the trail that leads out towards the camping area on the other side of Hospital road.
The bad part about this is it's location up until 3 weeks ago this was a sight downhill to the other part of the trail that was a short climb.
Now its this jump and it is visible but will creep up on some folks quickly and could cause somebody to get hurt.
The park doesn't like to see features like this where people can get hurt on them.
So far they seem not to have a problem with some of the stuff out towards the PW in the pit area but this one is a bit too much of a "slip and fall" hazard.
If you see anyone building stuff like this let either myself or the park know, Don't approach or otherwise get into an argument just let us know.
55752161722__FB4EA69E-7A43-4106-B26D-D1F6D43DAB82.jpeg

Here you can see how deep the holes are there is a line around the edge that was polished a bit but please be aware that theses are in the trail.

Last edited:

choop

When we had the heavy rain a few weeks ago, that was severely eroded or was a sink hole. Whoever has been doing the work there, have been filling it in. It was way deeper and much more of a danger.

I Ride Bikes

I don't know what's worse. The fact that it's rouge trail building in a state park or the fact that it's horribly built. I see more and more rouge stuff even outside MTB parks and this is basically what it looks like. Sad that trail building is becoming a lost art.

Johnny Utah

So has it been fixed/filled in? Does it need work? Looks like someone made a sad excuse of a feature after it was badly undermined in last months rain?

That spot has slowly deteriorated over the last few years, is it a re-route candidate?

I haven’t used it in some time, as I always use the trail behind the adult home.

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
So has it been fixed/filled in? Does it need work? Looks like someone made a sad excuse of a feature after it was badly undermined in last months rain?

That spot has slowly deteriorated over the last few years, is it a re-route candidate?

I haven’t used it in some time, as I always use the trail behind the adult home.

I sent the info to the park as we try not to be "police" but a reroute may be in the cards.
Marc said that he is going to check it and if needed use the bobcat to fix it is this what we would do? no but the park needed to be notified.
I rode it after the rain and it did have a couple of spots that needed to be packed back in but was doable.
Weirdest thing was I could not find the dirt that was dug out of the hole.
I did make the alt-line a bit better and put a few sticks up to draw your attention to it.
We are out this Sunday and we could put a reroute in the biggest problem with that is it doesn't address the root cause...
But that's what the park is supposed to be doing.

Johnny Utah

I sent the info to the park as we try not to be "police" but a reroute may be in the cards.
Marc said that he is going to check it and if needed use the bobcat to fix it is this what we would do? no but the park needed to be notified.
I rode it after the rain and it did have a couple of spots that needed to be packed back in but was doable.
Weirdest thing was I could not find the dirt that was dug out of the hole.
I did make the alt-line a bit better and put a few sticks up to draw your attention to it.
We are out this Sunday and we could put a reroute in the biggest problem with that is it doesn't address the root cause...
But that's what the park is supposed to be doing.

Got ya, it looks like all of the soil has washed downhill. Without being there it is tough to make a call but maybe fill it/deadwood and reroute since the area is unstable but that is your call.

mwlikesbikes

Got ya, it looks like all of the soil has washed downhill. Without being there it is tough to make a call but maybe fill it/deadwood and reroute since the area is unstable but that is your call.
Don’t forget the sharks with friggin’ lazer beams attached to their heads!

Johnny Utah

After looking at this yesterday I don’t think it is quite as advertised. The area above this covers significant ground that collects and funnels water directly down this shoot over a significant grade for the area/soil type. It looks like the first hole with the bucket had taken the first few heavy storms we had a few weeks ago, hence the reason someone put a lip on it so they could get over when riding down. There are two “smaller” holes within fifteen feet of the first hole that resulted from additional undermining caused by heavy water flow with the last few storms. Those holes were not built with a shovel, the roots all are intact in the holes.

All of the soil has been washed down to the bottom of the trail, a good amount of which is sitting towards the left side of the tread if you are standing on the said issue.

While I understand concern, mislabeling storm damage vs. rouge trail building may play an issue when representing the mountain bike community to the park system.

Last edited:

choop

After looking at this yesterday I don’t think it is quite as advertised. The area above this covers significant ground that collects and funnels water directly down this shoot over a significant grade for the area/soil type. It looks like the first hole with the bucket had taken the first few heavy storms we had a few weeks ago, hence the reason someone put a lip on it so they could get over when riding down. There are two “smaller” holes within fifteen feet of the first hole that resulted from additional undermining caused by heavy water flow with the last few storms. Those holes were not built with a shovel, the routes all are intact in the holes.

All of the soil has been washed down to the bottom of the trail, a good amount of which is sitting towards the left side of the tread if you are standing on the said issue.

While I understand concern, mislabeling storm damage vs. rouge trail building may play an issue when representing the mountain bike community to the park system.

Truth. This was a natural occurence. At this spot, the only thing rogue was the attempt to fill in the hole, and the lip to get over the ledge.

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
After looking at this yesterday I don’t think it is quite as advertised. The area above this covers significant ground that collects and funnels water directly down this shoot over a significant grade for the area/soil type. It looks like the first hole with the bucket had taken the first few heavy storms we had a few weeks ago, hence the reason someone put a lip on it so they could get over when riding down. There are two “smaller” holes within fifteen feet of the first hole that resulted from additional undermining caused by heavy water flow with the last few storms. Those holes were not built with a shovel, the routes all are intact in the holes.

I went back and looked a bit more closely and it does seem to have been a rain washout problem....
But I doubt the rain put the blocks in on the top.... I also was going on the bucket on the top as well...
I have also let Marc know about my mislabel as well Although we still need to address the wash out issue.

scassidy

So is this what we’re fixing on Sunday? My buddy almost fell in the holes in the picture this past Sunday on our way out to hospital road.

Johnny Utah

I went back and looked a bit more closely and it does seem to have been a rain washout problem....
But I doubt the rain put the blocks in on the top.... I also was going on the bucket on the top as well...
I have also let Marc know about my mislabel as well Although we still need to address the wash out issue.

I am working events Friday in N.J. and Saturday in PA, so Sunday will be rough to make it for TM, not that you need me. Beyond that I am available during the week should you need a hand. If so message me.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions