aluminum corrosion under paint

qclabrat

planning to refinish a few frames in the coming weeks
one is a 2000/1 Enduro Pro, which has some corrosion under the paint
think its either galvanic or filiform corrosion, but don't think it matters much in terms of the remedy

SPECIALIZED-Enduro-Comp.jpg

what are your thoughts on using Citri-Strip to remove the paint then Dremel (btw: need to buy one) off the corrosion before a coat of primer and a few layers of rattle can white/ivory. The corrosion looks like this pic

958868d1422309854-aluminum-frame-corrosion-shock-mount-superlight-2.jpg

Use a paint brush to apply the citristrip
Leave it overnight and shouldn't exceed more than 24hrs as it will dry. A scrapper of sorts should be sufficient. For anything stubborn, I am sure you have a drill... just buy a wire brush attachment.

Just wash it really well... and a wipe down with a degreaser and follow up with rubbing alcohol. I've seen YTs using paint thiner. Make sure it's thoroughly dry b4 applying paint.

Oh... when applying color, do multiple light coats and make sure they dry b4 applying next coat. At least 24hr between coats. Otherwise, you may get some lifting.

Oxidation can start on aluminum as fast as 15 minutes after you stripped to bare metal , it just less than obvious as in example on steel or iron (it's on the internet, must be true).

I purchased this but then decided to powder coat the bike frame I was going to paint, so I can't offer direct experience. Just a thought.

[wiki]http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/zinc.php?recfer=18382[/wiki]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom