Allamuchy North Conditions

Kev

Yeah I never knew where to go on lumpy bumpy until I happened to run into one of the people that have been riding there for a few years and now I actually know where the lines are.

FitmanNJ

It was a little moist here and there, but mostly hero dirt. The biggest problem was the number of downed branches and twigs -- lot's of them. I removed as many as I could stand to stop for, but there are clearly more to avoid. Generally, these branches are the size that can flip up into your spokes (I think I did an emergency stop 3 or 4 times), or tear up a derailleur -- some are bigger. Be careful if you ride out there in the coming days.

DanBrodeen

Thought I'd reach out here to any locals that might be interested in leading a ride at next weekend's Cranks Around the Campfire at Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation. Still could use a few leaders for the afternoon rides. PM me if you are interested. Free entrance to the event for the day of course! Thanks!

phillychris498

Huge blow downs on white after the switchback climb but before getting to cardiac and on the huge downhill trail after ice cream in the H2H race. The one on white really requires a reroute, the one on the downhill trail might be able to be handled with a chainsaw

Kev

Conditions were great today and I really love the snow in spots. The snowy downhills were lots of fun. Am I the only one who prefers mountain biking in the winter over the summer? Also I haven't been rickrolled too much, but I definitely got rockrolled today. I did not fall or anything, but I was all pumped to go down that rock roller on Lumpy Bumpy to then see there was a large tree laying a few feet off the ground across the trail right past the rock. There was also a tree about the same size laying across the trail on blue heading up from the Sussex Branch Trail (if you take the first blue entrance on the left heading from Waterloo) just so you all know.
20161223_133731.jpg
20161223_133711.jpg

phillychris498

Glad someone else got to enjoy today's conditions too! The cardiac (purple) downhill was very well packed down with snow this morning, it was so fun I had to do it twice!
Conditions were great today and I really love the snow in spots. The snowy downhills were lots of fun. Am I the only one who prefers mountain biking in the winter over the summer? Also I haven't been rickrolled too much, but I definitely got rockrolled today. I did not fall or anything, but I was all pumped to go down that rock roller on Lumpy Bumpy to then see there was a large tree laying a few feet off the ground across the trail right past the rock. There was also a tree about the same size laying across the trail on blue heading up from the Sussex Branch Trail (if you take the first blue entrance on the left heading from Waterloo) just so you all know.
View attachment 45092View attachment 45093

Reactions: Kev

kidzach

Since I only seemed to notice 2 other tracks yesterday I guess we were the only ones out there. Conditions were very good. The hardest part was making your way through frozen patches/footprints on the Sussex Branch Trail. Once on the trails all was good. I'll give it a 5. Nice to meet you Kevin.

kidzach

Rode up white from tranquility side. Made my way to Ice Cream hill back around on white. Place is in pretty good shape. The usual spots are wet. Last year all was overly dry. I'd give it a strong 4

Kev

Rode from Waterloo to lumpy bumpy to rollie pollie to candy ass to Tranquility to Rogue and back and it was fantastic! It was a little muddy on the trail paralleling Allamuchy Pond but most trails were dry or frozen.

goldsbar

Lots of water today. Much more than I expected three days after a storm. 80% of the trails were perfect, but lots of deep water on the sections that weren't. Cardiac from Orange had running water on the older fire road sections. Good at the top. Downhill switchbacks after Rollie rejoins with Bypass looked like nobody has ridden them since the fall; tons of leaves. The Friggin Middle this Way segment on Strava - don't know the trail name had some deep standing water in spots, but the bottom was solid. The trail that used to be called Ice Cream was good, but afterwards the flat sections of the White had plenty of deep water; again, usually solid on the bottom.

Speaking of Ice Cream, I noticed some reroute work on the steep climb before it. Nice to see this place getting some TLC as all of the work seems to have shifted to Stephen's over the years.

gtluke

The Moped
Lots of water today. Much more than I expected three days after a storm. 80% of the trails were perfect, but lots of deep water on the sections that weren't. Cardiac from Orange had running water on the older fire road sections. Good at the top. Downhill switchbacks after Rollie rejoins with Bypass looked like nobody has ridden them since the fall; tons of leaves. The Friggin Middle this Way segment on Strava - don't know the trail name had some deep standing water in spots, but the bottom was solid. The trail that used to be called Ice Cream was good, but afterwards the flat sections of the White had plenty of deep water; again, usually solid on the bottom.

Speaking of Ice Cream, I noticed some reroute work on the steep climb before it. Nice to see this place getting some TLC as all of the work seems to have shifted to Stephen's over the years.

how did you not notice that we had 7 guys leaf blowing freakin middle and ice cream yesterday! ha, there was literally 4 feet of leaves on half of ice cream.

FitmanNJ

I gave Allamuchy North a "3" from today's ride. I'd say it has "moist" (not muddy) hero dirt at the moment. Several of the areas around the stream crossings are quite muddy, but limited to the stream basin. The riding is generally very good.

CarolinaPanthers

Been lurking here for a while and now felt inspires to post lol. Finally found and rode Candyass for the first time yesterday, and it's a sick trail! I'd say the last 1/3 is very overgrown with prickers and there are a few downed trees. There were a few hike-a-bike moments, not just due to the difficulty of the trail. Purple leading up to Candyass and the lower section of white leading out were pretty good though!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions