Allamuchy North Conditions

phillychris498

moochy was good today- not too many leaves down yet on lumpy bumpy and rolly polly. there is a tree down on cardiac between the bypass climb and where the kiosk is on the way to freakin middle.

Dingo

we rode from the 'school side' trails are good. Have not been there in 2 yrs, strange how it appears to lack of rider usage. Does bob W still have a crew to help with trail work there?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
We were there Monday (rode the east side trails) and the prior weekend (west side trails). Even took in some of the lesser traveled sections east of Lumpy Bumpy and to the Muscanetcong overlook. That place has SO much to offer. We found it remarkable that many of the trails, even the ones with little use, were still easy to follow.

West side Sampler:
Allamuchy%20West%20Oct%202015_zpsh5gsf3p6.jpg

East side Sampler:
Allamuchy%20East%202015_zpssxvvvcqm.jpg

phillychris498

We were there Monday (rode the east side trails) and the prior weekend (west side trails). Even took in some of the lesser traveled sections east of Lumpy Bumpy and to the Muscanetcong overlook. That place has SO much to offer. We found it remarkable that many of the trails, even the ones with little use, were still easy to follow.

West side Sampler:
Allamuchy%20West%20Oct%202015_zpsh5gsf3p6.jpg

East side Sampler:
Allamuchy%20East%202015_zpssxvvvcqm.jpg

two awesome routes. Surprised that you didn't hit candy ass for the west side or lumpy bumpy for the east side... do you know how to find those?

Dingo

Nice routes!. I've ridden there many times, including 4 24hr races. I'm not familiar with the names of trails. Can you point out the overlook on the maps?

I know where refrigerator & lumpy is, was there when a buddy was airlifted out with a broken ankle.

Are there any maps with overlays of the names?

Such an awesome place to ride.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
two awesome routes. Surprised that you didn't hit candy ass for the west side or lumpy bumpy for the east side... do you know how to find those?
Yep, love those particular trails. A couple of the riders I was with those days weren't too keen on CA or LB (or Roly Poly for that matter), so we took a pass.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Nice routes!. I've ridden there many times, including 4 24hr races. I'm not familiar with the names of trails. Can you point out the overlook on the maps?

I know where refrigerator & lumpy is, was there when a buddy was airlifted out with a broken ankle.

Are there any maps with overlays of the names?

Such an awesome place to ride.

Most trails aren't marked with names (other than Ice Cream, which has a wooden sign on a tree at the bottom). They get named by the builders (e.g. Lumpy Bumpy, Candy Ass, etc) or just evolve over time depending on who you ride with. It's actually pretty funny how the same trail can have different names depending on the group one rides with. The trail most people call "Freakin Middle" (which is part of the "west side sampler" above), is called "New Fun Trail" by those I've been riding with for years. The blue blazed trail (called Iron Mine) has parts that we call "White Birch" and "Cement Mixer" based on features we observed when we first began riding the trails and the park wasn't well marked. Such is the beauty of mountain biking. When it's just you, your buddies and the woods, you can call the trails whatever you like! :D

I think the Maprika app, which features pretty much every park in the JORBA purview, is your best bet for finding your way around. The current JORBA map is the same one that's featured on Maprika. It doesn't feature the trail names, but you can get them here.

As for the overlook, take a look at the JORBA map. Find the bright yellow trail at the south end. As you trace it east, you'll see a dotted line branching off to connect with the light blue/teal Highlands Trail. Once you hit that Junction, get off your bike and hike south about 30 yards and you'll find the overlook. Beautiful view (see pic below). Note that once you're done with the view, head back to yellow to continue your ride. The Highlands Trail is hiking only. Hope to see you out there one day (or perhaps maybe we have already)!

Allamuchy%201_zpsgqnodejq.jpg

Fat Trout

I rarely see anyone out there when riding. It's a shame. Such a great area to ride with diverse types of trails between the three parks.
I never see anyone and when I do it is its nice but its also nice to know there are places you can go that are....less traveled. When I ride places like LM it feels like a highway since I'm use to Allamuchy lol. I live along Cranberry lake. I rode a lot when I was younger, mostly LM but was out of biking for a number of years. I moved here 11 yrs ago but only back heavy into biking the last 4. Now that I'm back "in" I'm kicking myself constantly for living here within a stones throw of Allamuchy and not riding it. I'm trying to make up for it though :)

phillychris498

lots of leaves down, hard to see the trails at times. a couple of trees are down on candy ass, but I'm pretty sure they've been there for a while. both are on the second half of the trail.

Dingo

Yea lots of leaves, with acorns hidden underneath....made for a lot of surprises today.

While on 80 east saw a huge bear on the shoulder. Swear it's the biggest one I ever saw. Hope he made it to where ever he was going. Had traffic slamin the brakes.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did a triple yesterday starting in Mooch North. The Wavin' Willie trail has two downed trees one of which on the 1st lung buster climb.

Looks as if a new resident of Cranberry Lake is guilty of taking his quad out on these trails. Not good.

Other than that, Mooche, Stephens, and Deer Park are in excellent condition.

phillychris498

They'll probably be good to go on wednesday even after this ice. That place is resilient against bad conditions... I rode there christmas eve after 2 days of rain and I didn't have a single spot of mud on my bike.

ryderX

I rode North today and it's in great shape. Definitely some new Yahoo trails from the Cranberry Lk neighborhood area. They've been cutting out the old logs that have littered the trails for years. Stupid move IMHO. I also noticed new No Trespassing signs along the Religous cult's property

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What I have noticed most is no love, where are the trail Nazis.

Trees that have been down for long long time.

This park is too good to be ignored, yes I am looking at you!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions