Allamuchy North Conditions

dan0930

Anybody know if it is rideable there today? I'm up in CT and we got some rain. Not sure what the situation is down there?

ryderX

Allamuchy will be fine, I live 3 miles from the park and although it's overcast here we've no significant rain.

zip

Rode today, Sunday. One word, mushy. If we do not get any more rain this week it should be good next weekend.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Big loop at Allamuchy today. Tranquility up Cardiac/Roly, down Ice Cream, Lumpy Bumpy, Waving Willy, down the Sussex Branch to Iron Mtn, to 9/11 memorial, White trail back to car. Conditions were great. Handful of soft spots, otherwise nice and firm.

Much North

Big loop at Allamuchy today. Tranquility up Cardiac/Roly, down Ice Cream, Lumpy Bumpy, Waving Willy, down the Sussex Branch to Iron Mtn, to 9/11 memorial, White trail back to car. Conditions were great. Handful of soft spots, otherwise nice and firm.

Thanks for the update icebiker, I live in Newton and need to start riding North more often. I always seem to get lost and discouraged when I ride there. Can never seem to find the trails I'm looking for...(I.e. Icecream, candya**, etc)

Good to know Conditions are improving....how was the overgrowth? the narrow Stephens trails are terrible...was north any better?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
^^ Interesting you referenced the overgrowth. That was exactly my observation, particularly over on the 517 side...the orange trail from Tranquility (paralleling 517 then sweeping up toward the start of the B*tch (that's what we call it anyway:D)...that section is very overgrown...it's almost as if Allamuchy has been forgotten. To be fair, even I hadn't been there since well before Hurricane Sandy, so I'm just as guilty of less frequent visits, but it's still the tough-as-nails place we've all come to love over the years.

While the overgrowth has me somewhat worried about ticks (and there's some poison ivy encroaching here and there), it sure makes for nice and narrow singletrack, something that was becoming harder to find not long ago.

Bizarro

hey guys! Couple of us are heading that way to ride Mooch in the a.m... how are conditions as of now?? Did it rain there? If so is it that sloppy up there? Alternatives?

Thanks guys!

ryderX

It rained on and off for most of the day here but it never relay rained hard. I live 3 miles from Allamuchy and I'd guess that the park will be in good shape tomorrow. I'd avoid the Tranquility side because those long climbs will slick and greasy though the rest of the park will be fine. What time and where are you starting from ?

bear

Bizarro is supposed to be out there about 9am (i'm supposed to be meeting him) - if there's a better launch point please share as I don't know the trailheads well (I live near Wilkes-Barre PA).

Bizarro

awesome thx! The knolly is happy in any condition. hehe.. :)

yeah, I don't know any other spot really but that's ok... hopefully once we get to the good stuff it'll be good like ya said.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The trails should be fine with minor puddling in regular spots. With the majority of the park under a heavy tree canopy, you may have to deal with slick rocks and log overs.

Typically, Mooche North tends to drain very well.

Have fun!!

pxs231

There are a few new trees down around the park. A big one is down near the end of the climb up from the chicken wire bridge.
There is also a new big one down on lumpy bumpy. I think that trail has a total of three trees down and with all of the go arounds it could use some love.
The overhanging tree at the bottom of cardiac bypass is now very low, pretty needs to be cut down.
There is a nice big one blocking the frickin' middle (that one had been there a couple of months).
Another old one is right at the intersection of the freakin' middle and the back side of ice cream, going towards the tranquility side.
I'd be more than happy to provide manual labor help, just post up a date and time...

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are a few new trees down around the park. A big one is down near the end of the climb up from the chicken wire bridge.
There is also a new big one down on lumpy bumpy. I think that trail has a total of three trees down and with all of the go arounds it could use some love.
The overhanging tree at the bottom of cardiac bypass is now very low, pretty needs to be cut down.
There is a nice big one blocking the frickin' middle (that one had been there a couple of months).
Another old one is right at the intersection of the freakin' middle and the back side of ice cream, going towards the tranquility side.
I'd be more than happy to provide manual labor help, just post up a date and time...

Someone did do a lot of bushwacking, especially switchback, on a positive note. All the trees I saw down were unfortunately big ones. If I recall the spot correctly, there are a couple leaners on the switchback climb that goes up from purple but from the back side.

We did a quicky job on a little sapling down on the upper end of purple.
Overall trails were damp but hard, no reason not to ride them.:)

Last edited:

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone know who is "officially" in charge of TM's here? Is Workman still involved? I know a few of us do what we can but it'd be nice to get a group effort out there

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone know who is "officially" in charge of TM's here? Is Workman still involved? I know a few of us do what we can but it'd be nice to get a group effort out there

From what I know, Bob W is still the guy.

It really does need some organized love.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is much carnage within North these days. Wavin Willy....a mess once you get to the top. White...a mess from Green/White intersection heading back towards Sussex Branch TH.

I would guess about 7+ major trees down along this one loop. Needs some love.

Frank

Sasquatch
Hey all, Bob W is still the Chapter Lead at Mooch but has taken some time off due to personal issues. Let me see what I can arrange as far as a tm is concerned. Does anyone have enough info on the bad spots to mark them on a map for me?? I'll do what I can from there.

pedals

I'd like to give some back here. Was there a few days ago and there's much attention needed.Starting from the Tranquillity lot..orange has trees down,, purple downhill switch back... really everywhere.. need to organize a group and just get goin. keep us posted ...

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey all, Bob W is still the Chapter Lead at Mooch but has taken some time off due to personal issues. Let me see what I can arrange as far as a tm is concerned. Does anyone have enough info on the bad spots to mark them on a map for me?? I'll do what I can from there.

I will do my best to get this info in your hands as quickly as possible. Keep in mind, there are VERY large trees down throughout the park. It will require some skilled saws and ample time to get this cleared.

I'd like to give some back here. Was there a few days ago and there's much attention needed.Starting from the Tranquillity lot..orange has trees down,, purple downhill switch back... really everywhere.. need to organize a group and just get goin. keep us posted ...

I'm in 100% as well.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions