Allamuchy North Conditions

crash

White out of Waterloo is almost entirely dry, just a patch or two. The creek barely encroaches on the trail anymore.The trails connecting white with red are dry and the NJ slick rock area is Moab-like parched. The BSA needs to more their private property sign from the tree on the right side of Ice Cream to the tree on the left side of Ice Cream for better visibility. It really took a lot of effort to see the current warning label.

pedals

Ha--I was out there too. Really great conditions. I also hit icecream and I saw the sign out of the corner of my eye.....It's hard to take your eyes off the trail for too long out there !!

crash

they probably will resort to using rent a car return entrance do not ride over spikes to help us focus better. you must have been only minutes in front of me since I was following pretty fresh tracks. anyway, bluebird day out there. unbelievable. And the snow is falling out west. a clarion call for deep pow action. it is going to be a good month!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
they probably will resort to using rent a car return entrance do not ride over spikes to help us focus better.

Dude what is your problem? You seem to carry issues with the BSA who basically are very MTB friendly.

crash

mattybaft - Dude, which side of your mouth should we listen to? the one that says even breathing on BSA land is a big no no, or the one that says that they are very MTB friendly. What is the guidance here according to your well informed insight? Please advise.

I am just getting a workout in the woods and feel the warmth from the sun on a nice day. If BSA is good with that, great.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes they are MTB supportive IN they have a youth Boy Scout program and allowing MTB events at their camp which require waivers of responsibility. If someone in this happy law suite state found out that they were injured on the BSA property chances are that would go away. I originally pointing out that what some think is state land (Monument, ice cream ect) is not . If you need a painted line then maybe it can be arranged.

AS to your ATV vindications one only needs to follow tracks to cranberry side to figure that out.

I have no problem where you ride, but being a local I know I have succeeded in getting 50 miles without touching private property...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
mattybaft - Dude, which side of your mouth should we listen to? the one that says even breathing on BSA land is a big no no, or the one that says that they are very MTB friendly. What is the guidance here according to your well informed insight? Please advise.

Unfortunately it's an issue of liability. The BSA is supportive of biking and any outdoors activity - this is pretty much "what they do". We ran 3 races on the property last year and have 5 lined up already this year, if not 7 or who knows, maybe more. But those races all come with liability waivers. That's really the catch in the discussion.

I know the BSA director and he has told me his job is to get the camp more involved with the community. Having said that, he can't open it up to anyone to ride at any time. That would risk everything he's got going on there - the camp, the scouts that use it, his job, etc. Not to mention the whole shooting range, bows & arrows, ATVs - the dangers are probably endless. Hell, you might get taken out by one of the pesky beavers.

I'm sure you understand, living in NJ. It's not a simple matter of "my house is your house," unless you add the "so long as you sign this waiver saying that if you get hurt you get to actually own my house."

crash

the old but still valid liability angle for limiting access. i have been hearing that since 1989 when I was the first mountain bike volunteer ranger for the mid peninsular open space preserve (santa cruz moutanins). When the old hag who sat on the board that wouldn't compromise with the bike riders and equestrians about one particular little section in el corte madiera, died, everyone cheered and there was a 24 hour mountain bike fest to celebrate.

crash

Norm - your explanation makes sense of things. of course, to participate in that sort of event, one signs a waiver. Sounds fun too and probably supports a good cause to boot.

I used have buddies of mine sign waivers when I used to take them into the back country skiing in the sierras! Of course damages were limited to pitchers of beer.

Skirting the fence line and poaching is not quite like a full property race experience.
Not quite Czechoslovakia 1938.

I enjoy the g and s.

A big thanks to the BSA and Keith for having hosted the Dean Eberling memorial on their protected and private property. I'm going to continue to enjoy the good will and support the BSA has extended toward the Mtb community as illustrated by Dean's memorial as well as the cooperation between the DEP and BSA as the DEP published white trail appears to nick the BSA property. It's great to have the two working in concert regarding the use and maintenance of the public and private adjoining lands. And, as usual I won't be touring the camp facilities or interior trails that have been used in the epic 24 hour races of the past. (Unless my femur happens to break or something.)

DanBrodeen

Just a heads up. Tkere is a very large tree down across purple just south of the intersection of white by small bridge. Other is down across the top of the newish white trail switchback section. Didn't have my handsaw on me for the one on white. THe one on purple will need a larger chainsaw.

kidzach

Allamuchy North + Sandy = Crushed

Only rode up from Tranquility lot a couple days after Sandy.Up white was ok (one major tree down).But once I made a right on Cardiac (purple) the destruction began. Huge trees everywhere crossing the trails.After going up cardiac where it begins off the white trail I made the first left, crossing the stream and heading towards Ice Cream hill.Again so many huge trees down it was sometimes a bit hard to keep track of the trail.After coming down Ice cream Hill followed white back around to Tranquility lot.This part of white also had so many trees down I lost count.These are the only trails I can speak of since I was losing daylight that day.Was hoping for a T&M day soon but have not seen any mention of one anywhere for this place(which always seems to be the case).But there are a couple folk who just take it upon themselves to clear things out.So maybe a few things have been taken care of.May venture out here again for black friday to work off some turkey.If so I'll keep you posted. Happy Thanksgiving all.

pxs231

From the tranquility lot, up the white trail over the wooden bridge toward the center of the park there are three major hike a bike sections. All of them are pretty close to tranquility. The hike a bikes are clean enough without too many annoying branches. The newer single track section on the white trail is clear with one tree turned log pile. There are a couple of go-rounds that aren't too bad, just watch out for the barberry. After the right hand turn towards Waterloo a fair bit of clean up work is done and its clear to the large rock clearing right before the turn going towards four bump. The unmarked trail going toward the chicken wire bridge is clear up to the turn going toward lumpy, I don't know about the rest. The trail then leading to lumpy has one major go-around. Lumpy is essentially clear with two short go arounds and one log over. The trail leading back to the white trail through the creek crossing is completely clear. I'd say things aren't in too bad of a shape. If only the large hike a bikes right by the bridge in tranquility were to be cleaned up....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354481811.785138.jpg
Lumpy panorama
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354481855.647388.jpg
Snowy rock garden
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354481890.906145.jpg
Fog and snow...

Last edited:

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
Thanks for the recon... I tried to get out and survey the damage last Monday, but was sidetracked by a large stick jumping into my rear wheel while attempting a normal log-over on the Green trail by my house and wiping out my rear caliper (ride over!)...
There are a few bigguns down on the Green right past the White/Green intersection, chainsaws are in dire need back here! a big cluster-F was taken care of on the way in from Cranberry Ledge rd (YellowGate/Green)... big job well done!
This park is in desperate need of lots of help...
I'll be taking a trip in the am on the Cranberry side to take inventory on what needs to be addressed.

pxs231

Took another ride today, from the tranquility side taking the left towards the back side of ice cream has one small walk a bike and on major with a couple of trees, both passable though. From there taking dans trail to the white trail is all clear. I was having a good ride until right at the bottom of dans trail, o sucked up huge stock and snapped my deraulieur. Single speed back to the car....

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can we get an accurate Trail report where there is still trees down? I heard there is still alot of trees down. I'd like to make a game plan of the places that need the most love

pxs231

I ride this past Saturday and if you count the go arounds there really aren't that many trails left that are not passable. Somebody did a ton of work to clear the middle, cardiac is completely open, the white trail near the intersection of the green trail was still messy with a lot of go arounds. Ice cream has a couple of major trees with crappy go arounds near the beginning of the climb. On the backside of ice cream there is also a couple of big ones down without a very good go around.
Now there was a group on Sunday that was schedule to do more clean up do some of these issues nay have been taken care if. Jason should have better info.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions