Allamuchy North Conditions

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode from Cranberry ledge entrance up to white and over to waterloo road on Sunday before the latest snow on Monday. No new trees and conditions were decent, some puddle spots where you would expect but not muddy. I'm sure there is probably crap down elsewhere, but at least it all is draining well.

That is awesome news. I was really fearful that Allamuchy is as bad as I was told which would equal countless hours of TM or the trees just not cleared. I want to clear Candy Ass this season as it's been neglected for a couple of years. Rode it once in the late fall and had a hard time staying on the trail in the twisty section up top.

Fat Trout

That is awesome news. I was really fearful that Allamuchy is as bad as I was told which would equal countless hours of TM or the trees just not cleared. I want to clear Candy Ass this season as it's been neglected for a couple of years. Rode it once in the late fall and had a hard time staying on the trail in the twisty section up top.

Hopefully the rest of the place and/or the wind from this week doesn't make me a liar.
I want to ride Candy Ass a bit more this season. I'll try to lend a hand in there. Hit me up if you need a hand on larger stuff or I'll just plan on brining some clippers and doing what I can as I ride through.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hopefully the rest of the place and/or the wind from this week doesn't make me a liar.
I want to ride Candy Ass a bit more this season. I'll try to lend a hand in there. Hit me up if you need a hand on larger stuff or I'll just plan on brining some clippers and doing what I can as I ride through.

I'm currently searching for a new handsaw that can cut larger stuff so reducing the need of a chainsaw. There are some solid options out there....just trying to find the best one. I would rather have a bit more sweat equity and clearing the trails rather than waiting for a scheduled TM with a chainsaw. I'll keep you posted.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, buy a silky saw. And definitely post up when you plan to clean up candy ass.

Robin

Started at Waterloo Lot and headed out and back on White/Yellow up to Ice Cream. The usual wet sections but trails are clear of trees/logs. Checked on the bulbs we planted in the fall at Schilling Rock. Just starting to pop up. Should be in bloom for the MTBNJ race.

IMG_20180409_160320.jpg

jackx

Friday 13th, rode from Waterloo lot on White to the intersections with Green. Came back White to yellow.

The usual sections were wet, and there were some downed trees on Yellow. Conditions 3.5 out of 4.

IMG_8349.jpg

IMG_8351.jpg
IMG_8359.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i think our ride was in North today.

trails were firm, with some leaves in spots.

water was collecting in the usual places, and the bike did get muddy.
just a few places that i don't remember always being soft.

its got a beat, so you can dance to it.
i'll give it a 3

goldsbar

Agree with the above. Surprisingly good (one short part of the white was a muddy mess), but those trees... Lots of sticks on the ground in certain parts as well. To give an idea of the trees, I started on white at the lot at the end of Continental Dr. All the new single track is good. A couple of flow killing trees on the fire road downhill after the red. A couple of duck-under trees after that. Complete blockage halfway through cardiac bypass. Orange was a mess along 517 - 4 or 5 big downed trees. All but one of these really needed a chainsaw.

What is it with the last few years and downed trees? I feel like trees didn't used to fall this much in the good old days!

littlev21

Agree with the above. Surprisingly good (one short part of the white was a muddy mess), but those trees... Lots of sticks on the ground in certain parts as well. To give an idea of the trees, I started on white at the lot at the end of Continental Dr. All the new single track is good. A couple of flow killing trees on the fire road downhill after the red. A couple of duck-under trees after that. Complete blockage halfway through cardiac bypass. Orange was a mess along 517 - 4 or 5 big downed trees. All but one of these really needed a chainsaw.

What is it with the last few years and downed trees? I feel like trees didn't used to fall this much in the good old days!

yeah, I agree, it seems like no one even rides in this area of the park anymore. The northern most portion of red loop heading up to blue was a mess, at least four buzz killing trees, one has been down since the end of last summer. From blue, heading west, the connector trail (south of the lake) to bottom of four bump is bordering on abandoned. these are some great trails. I'm in for any TM that cleans this area up. after that, much of the park was in top notch condition, with occasionally downed trees (waving willie to name one).

phillychris498

There's tree down blocking the best roller on Cardiac Bypass, once it flattens out a little after the switchback climb. It was a serious buzz kill. :(

Fat Trout

How much rain was there yesterday?
So interestingly yesterday I was on CA with a string trimmer yesterday when it downpoured HARD for about 20min +, enough to stall the trimmer at idle at one point lol. The odd part is it only hit that area by Orange / purple or so. At my house on the other side it was bone dry and at best a couple sprinkles.

@mattybfat is still right, you are good to roll. The dry trail ate it up. Rocks might be a little greasy though. They had that rock sweat thing going on.

Kev

So interestingly yesterday I was on CA with a string trimmer yesterday when it downpoured HARD for about 20min +, enough to stall the trimmer at idle at one point lol. The odd part is it only hit that area by Orange / purple or so. At my house on the other side it was bone dry and at best a couple sprinkles.

@mattybfat is still right, you are good to roll. The dry trail ate it up. Rocks might be a little greasy though. They had that rock sweat thing going on.

Yeah the rocks in and around candy ass were definitely slippery compared to the rest of the place. The wet rocks got me a few times haha. Candy ass looks great now with the recent maintenance!

Last edited:

roc

I haven’t ridden here all year, how are the trails? How do you get to candy ass from the Sussex branch parking lot?

xc62701

I rode a good portion of the park on Wednesday and found it to be in pretty good shape. A little overgrown and wet in a couple of spots but generally let it rip. The yellow/pebble loop had a lot of trees down but they were all easy passable.

Fat Trout

I haven’t ridden here all year, how are the trails? How do you get to candy ass from the Sussex branch parking lot?
Assuming you mean the waterloo road parking lot its a little tough. In simple terms its white to purple and 3/4 of the way through purple toward the 517 side there is a turn off to the left. Quicker way is white to Ice cream over to purple and the same. Admittedly its not as easy as that sounds but I hope it helps. There are some online maps that help a little.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions