Albert's Westwood Cycle

bdmtb

I second that. Great shop, purchased a few bikes down that way with more than fair pricing. Plus having an awesome repair shop (that has hooked me up with short notice on multiple occasions) headed up with Mark's brother Alan.

JohnnyWestood

I live a few blocks away, but I’ll never go back there again. Went in last summer to get sealant and valves to go tubeless. A young guy was helping me, seemed a little flustered. Had to run down to presumably a mech downstairs. All the while there were 2 older guys behind the counter. Less than 5 feet from me. Never acknowledged me, or tried to help the kid out.

I guess at the mech’s recommendation the kid came back to me a third time and said that I should just bring my bike on and let them do it for $50 (I believe that was the price). When I said that I wanted to try it myself the kid snickered and said it wasn’t that easy and that I wouldn’t be able to ride for a while.

When we first moved to town, 4 years ago I believe another guy owned it and he was very curt with my wife and I.

They run road rides out of the shop and they ride like animals and intentionally block traffic on Ridgewood Rd. The ringleader rides wide so cars can’t pass. Not a great ambassador for cyclists.

Another time I was riding solo and they swallowed me up from behind. No one said “on your left”, “hello”, anything. I almost fell over as they started passing me on both sides. Again, not good ambassadors.

There is another guy there who is super nice to my dog when we walk by though.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bummer you didn't have a good experience there-
These guys are my LBS #2,
Tenafly is closer, but these guys are my Specialized shop.

It would have been the same owner,
Mark has been at the helm for years.

I only go in a few times a year,
and have bought only a couple of less expensive bikes there (base model commuter and fatbike) over the years,
but I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
This includes help warrantying Specialized parts that were purchased elsewhere.

When I had them convert the fatbike to tubeless,
it took 3 tries and ultimately new technology to make it happen,
but I was satisfied with how they handled it.
(Only charged for parts after the initial install).

If the nice guy has a woolly mammoth beard, that's Clark.
Anyway, maybe try them again as you're hunting down your next ride,
maybe third time is a charm?
It would be awesome to be a few blocks from your go-to local shop.

mustclime

I have known Mark for years, nice guy. I do not go there much because Clark the manager has a habit of changing way to much for things. For example I was on a road ride and got a flat, I replaced the tube and swung by the shop for a new backup tube.... Clark wanted $10 bucks for a basic 700c tube......now I shop with Mark only.

JohnnyWestood

Bummer you didn't have a good experience there-
These guys are my LBS #2,
Tenafly is closer, but these guys are my Specialized shop.

It would have been the same owner,
Mark has been at the helm for years.

I only go in a few times a year,
and have bought only a couple of less expensive bikes there (base model commuter and fatbike) over the years,
but I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
This includes help warrantying Specialized parts that were purchased elsewhere.

When I had them convert the fatbike to tubeless,
it took 3 tries and ultimately new technology to make it happen,
but I was satisfied with how they handled it.
(Only charged for parts after the initial install).

If the nice guy has a woolly mammoth beard, that's Clark.
Anyway, maybe try them again as you're hunting down your next ride,
maybe third time is a charm?
It would be awesome to be a few blocks from your go-to local shop.
I was stoked to have a shop so close, but I just don’t like the interactions I have had with them. And their road manners are really a huge turn off. People in cars get pissed when it takes 3 minutes to go half a mile because they are riding 3 abreast. Makes all bicyclists look bad and potentially puts us in danger.

Danimal

Have nothing but awesome things to say about the shop. Mark has helped me out plenty of times and has given me some killer deals as well. After i blew my rear hub he offered me a Salsa Deadwood demo bike to keep me occupied for a few days while i wait for parts.

Top Bottom