Air Travel with a bicycle

I've traveled often with bikes. I started with road bikes in travel bags when they still allowed two pieces on luggage per, one of which could be oversized sports equipment, like bikes. Bags worked but they get a good beating even when protected by pipe insulation and bubble wrap.

When I brought better bikes along still during the two bag era, I would just box it up, often double boxed. Once it was a Bruce Gordon touring bike I brought to Europe for a week. Double boxes are really tough.

Now with post 911 and greedy airline tactics they really stick it to the cyclist. That's where the Bike Friday came in and I travel with it as often as possible when I travel for work. I had a 12-15 country itinerary planned for January/February, but unfortunately will be delayed till late 2015.

I have rented, but the bike choices overseas are really bad, traveling in the US is much better, but I usually find myself in Europe or Asia. If only for a few days of tourist riding in the US, do the rental. Anything more hardcore, bring your own, nothing worse than poor fit and crappy parts to spoil the potential "ride of your life" trails/roads. I experienced that first hand in Singapore at wild trail park in a nearby island.

This past summer I flew United to China and brought 2 mountain bikes to leave behind at my in-laws near Shanghai. I was able to squeeze both bikes minus one rear wheel and still meet the 62" maximum size. Also was exactly 50 lbs. Boxed it from materials provided by the kind folks at High Gear in Stirling. Was preparing to pay the $100ish fee for the bikes but there was some chaos in the oversized baggage line and she forgot to charge us.

One important tip someone already mentioned is transportation after the airport. Most taxis or public transportation can not accommodate the 62" boxes or cases, especially overseas. Arrange for pickup with van service otherwise paying of a van at the airport will be ridiculously expensive. I actually brought a heavy duty portable dolly with me on the trip to China and wheeled my box to the train to the next city where some relative picked us up.

Traveling with bikes have really gotten to be a pain. I've tried the "It's a gift or artwork" line, they open boxes now. Fortunately for me it was a gift. Stick to rentals if just tooling around. Next summer I'll be doing a double century in China, a rental just won't cut it, bringing the Llama.

Thanks for all the information guys. United is charging $150 each way now.

Consider renting a mountain bike. There's some trails in city outskirts and you can always ride a mtb on the road.

Soundz, have you met me? It was major news on Facebook last week when I was seen riding a mtb. I have turned.

A few folks are now making "sports equipment" cases that just happen to fit most road bikes unless they are quite large. 62" linear inches seems to be a magic number for a lot of airlines and that's the number these cases target at a max:

http://www.gavilanbff.com/ - Sold by Gavi (yeah, the local Gavi). Lots of use this year by his pro crit team...on flights seemingly every week

Orucase Airport Ninja: http://orucase.com/ - I know a couple people who use these. $350 for the case is less than the cost of 2 flights or 1 week rental at the rates you were quoted.

I think there is another one but can't remember the name right now. Having spent hundreds of dollars renting marginal road bikes over the past couple years I have been considering buying one of these cases.

BTW. Hit me up for ride suggestions around SF and other parts of northern california. There are rides you should not miss.

Eric, that 62" does seem like the magic number. If I can stay under that I would be good to go. I am allowed two checked bags for free on United but I think I would be more inclined to rent at this point. The bikes I listed above are decent and have Ultegra components so that may be my best bet.

I will email you for ride suggestions and maybe you can even help us with our itinerary.

Serious question:

Why is shipping a bike so expensive when you can buy a gazillion inch TV on Amazon, it ships for free, and the guys carry it into your house? Anyone know how these type of freight arrangements work? I can't imagine companies like Amazon are subsidizing $100+ shipping costs while also undercutting everyone else's product prices.

Serious question:

Why is shipping a bike so expensive when you can buy a gazillion inch TV on Amazon, it ships for free, and the guys carry it into your house? Anyone know how these type of freight arrangements work? I can't imagine companies like Amazon are subsidizing $100+ shipping costs while also undercutting everyone else's product prices.

Amazon and other companies have bulk discount rates with shipping.

I haven't found shipping a bike to be that expensive. I think when I paid a bike shop to disassemble, pack & ship a bike from Florida to NJ, it was roughly $65 total.

If I recall correctly, some bike boxes are *just* oversized with UPS.

-Steve

volume and supply chain, under cut everyone and prepare to take loses, but gain customers and market share for the future. may lose a penny one day, but make up later by gaining two next month. Amazon was not profitable for many years, business model almost failed but eventually able to squeeze out slim profits. the Chinese versions, Alibaba and Taobao are going to be a real threat to Amazon and eBay soon

I use my work FedEx acct to ship everything, except international

Frequently ship complete bikes or frames for under $20, even to the west coast

Amazon and other companies have bulk discount rates with shipping.

I haven't found shipping a bike to be that expensive. I think when I paid a bike shop to disassemble, pack & ship a bike from Florida to NJ, it was roughly $65 total.

If I recall correctly, some bike boxes are *just* oversized with UPS.

-Steve

not those, punched in some zipcodes for NJ to England and was a bit expensive esp. on the way back

$250 there
$400 back = $650 seems excessive

friend of mine likes the euro bike tour stuff - he brings his saddle, shoes, pedals and rents the rest.

Serious question:

volume and supply chain, under cut everyone and prepare to take loses, but gain customers and market share for the future. may lose a penny one day, but make up later by gaining two next month. Amazon was not profitable for many years, business model almost failed but eventually able to squeeze out slim profits. the Chinese versions, Alibaba and Taobao are going to be a real threat to Amazon and eBay soon

That's true, but don't forget that there is a fundamental difference in the product or service being transferred here. Getting a bike from one place to another for personal use is its own product, while shipping a tv is a means of getting a product (the tv.) Amazon is still competing with your local Best Buy or Worldwide Stereo, where you can go in and pick it up yourself. In the case of traveling with a bike, you aren't buying the bike -- you're buying the shipping. At Amazon, the shipping is perk that they have to offer to remain competitive with the local brick and mortar competitor. And the way they accomplish that is what qc describes above.

I am allowed two checked bags for free on United but I think I would be more inclined to rent at this point.

Perfect. 1 checked Bag/box for frameset, 1 checked bag/box for wheels. Each will be under 62" easily. Pack your clothes and a lightweight travel duffel in the boxes for padding. Flatten the boxes and stow them in the boot of the rental car during your trip.

Your All City Mr. Pink is the right tool for this job. Steel frame less susceptible to damage than a carbon frame.

did a Clemens and misremembered some details (too much Islay at one time)

the bike allowance for $150 is 115 inches not 62 and max 70lbs and which is how I was able to fit two complete bikes (one steel, other aluminum) minus a wheel

just re-read baggage details and change again, last year was something like $75 for domestic and $125 for overseas, below excerpt from United
United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Delish, seems splitting into two won't work as bike can only be in one on the two checked luggages, bolded above (another change from last year....bastards)

also not that easy to fit a full sized frame into a 62inch box, was able to fit a S/M frame without fork, but not a L/XL frame

Wheels are the hardest thing to pack. But theoretically you can put them in one of those garment bags that fold in half in the center and just walk on the plane with them and hang it on the coat rack when you walk in. Just pretend there is a suit in there.

There's a new kid on the block, and I'm probably going to get one. https://postcarry.co/

I've been trying to cut down on the amount of bikes, this case looks really nice, takes care of a ton of issues I have with the Ritchey case. I should be able to sell the Ritchey Breakaway and just go with this case and my regular road bike when travelling.

Oh, and the small should pretty much fit everything I have. Road/29er

(I actually found this thread while googling for bike case info...)

Thank looks much nicer than the Orucase Ninja. And less $. The wheels are a nice touch. I'd still be worried about the 62" rule on United.

I've spend a lot more than the cost of that case renting shitty Treks all over the country.

Thank looks much nicer than the Orucase Ninja. And less $. The wheels are a nice touch. I'd still be worried about the 62" rule on United.

I've spend a lot more than the cost of that case renting shitty Treks all over the country.

I've never been bitten by the 62" inch rule w/ my Ritchey case, however this one is a little larger. Not sure at what point they care, I think weight is more of an issue.

I'm not sure a 29er wheel/tire combo will fit in. I emailed them and their response was maybe if I let out enough air... With my Ritchey I need to take my tires off the 29er which is a PITA with tubeless & sealant. It's actually the hardest part and that's saying a lot since I take off the rear swingarm.. 27.5" should be no issue.

Supposedly they told @soundz that his frame wouldn't fit when he ordered one, so I'd like to hear his opinion... Everything I own should theoretically fit nicely in the small case. I've been taking my swingarm in my carry-on so if I need to continue doing that, I will.

Supposedly they told @soundz that his frame wouldn't fit when he ordered one, so I'd like to hear his opinion... Everything I own should theoretically fit nicely in the small case. I've been taking my swingarm in my carry-on so if I need to continue doing that, I will.

They said the FS mountain bike will not fit in a Orucase Sub62 which is correct. Good thing they pointed it out to me before shipping and I was able to switch to the Ninja. That said, after traveling with bikes a bunch, I much prefer shipping it in a case (not box because that is annoying).

For my polo bike, I just use this which weighs like 1lb.

IMG_0779.jpg

Back
Top Bottom