Affordable Hardtail Frame Only with....

qclabrat

Reading mtbr and many seem to say that the TJ felt short and they switched out to a longish stem to compensate. I guess i should stick to a L instead of the salsa site recommended M. But the reach on a L TJ is longer than my Hightower.
Doesn't Halter's stock Salsas? No better way to figure out the size than throwing your leg over one. That's a great looking frame for under 500

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Reading mtbr and many seem to say that the TJ felt short and they switched out to a longish stem to compensate. I guess i should stick to a L instead of the salsa site recommended M. But the reach on a L TJ is longer than my Hightower.
The reach on the lg TJ is 2mm longer. Id go with the lg. The Med had a reach that is 2.7cm shorter. Unless you HT seems way way long, i'd stay on the lg. Forget their fit guide. I'm just sht of 5-10 and I'd ride a lg in both.

That said, they are sold out of LJ alloy TJ frames till 7/24/19 (and that's an estimate)

They do actually have the TI versions on hand, but at $2499.. it's not so affordable, but way better riding for sure.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Doesn't Halter's stock Salsas? No better way to figure out the size than throwing your leg over one. That's a great looking frame for under 500

We do stock Salsa bikes, but i've been stocking Chameleons and Big honzos over TJ's of late in the 27+ hardtail category.

Their Deore Equipped TJ is a good value at a $1249, but the SC and Kona seems to have more appeal of late.

Ian F

I have both an 2018 Hightower (LT, if that makes a difference) and a 2018 Chameleon AL. Both bought as bare frames. The Chameleon is a lot less than HT LT.

That said, the actual build weight of both bikes won't be very far apart since the components on each bike will be damn near identical. When the Chameleon is running 27.5+ wheels and tires, it might actually be heavier.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Salsa looks badass... any idea on weight?
I see one guy on mtbr saying 27lbs geared and another guy saying 27lbs single speed...
Also read a comment saying that the TT measurement is off on the Salsa site and its shorter.
Got a reply from Salsa
TJ AL in L weighs 2100 gram for anyone interested.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Then i guess the salsa site is fucked cuz according to it... i should be on a medium.
Thanks... only if I can find the weight on this damn thing... it would nail the coffin shut.

I think it said the same to me I've learned from my current mistake of a frame.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I request you make it a 29er then we can talk I am waiting long enough to low ball you with 75 dollars lol
I can give it to you for $75 but I am taking off the headset.
I am pretty sure it will "fit" a 29er but will be a tight squeeze. Will be going out to the garage later... someone is coming to take the half wheeler and I can take a look to see if my 29er will fit in there.

EDIT: actually no... my 29er is 2.35 so that won't do. Maybe a 2.1

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I can give it to you for $75 but I am taking off the headset.
I am pretty sure it will "fit" a 29er but will be a tight squeeze. Will be going out to the garage later... someone is coming to take the half wheeler and I can take a look to see if my 29er will fit in there.

EDIT: actually no... my 29er is 2.35 so that won't do. Maybe a 2.1

I was joking lol but if your serious what are the measurements and I'll make sure I can do this

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
What measurements are you looking for? I'll measure it for you.
You rode the bike already so I was assuming you know it fits already.
Wait NVM I take that back lol I'm still gonna need your fucking fork so I'm saving my pennies for your fork wife gave me the ok it has to come from the fun budget

Top Bottom