Affordable DH for Beginner?

avc8130

Better idea than what? I can't speak for the actual quality of the bikes at Blue but I know Blue gets less rider traffic than Creek so the rentals should be in better shape.

Sorry, than the Diamondback DB-8 I found for similar price that the seller claims is practically brand new.

w_b

I've got a Large, 200mm travel Iron Horse SGS DH just sitting that I might part with for the right price. 26er tho. Same frame as Sven's, but the chain stay and Horst have the extra stiffeners. Boxxer up front. Upgraded the 165mm rear to a DT Hugi/Trail Pimp, and seatpost to Thompson. 1.5 headtube, headset adapts to watevs (currently 1-1/8"). Make me an offer and/or come take it for a spin near Highland Park. Rides like a couch on wheels, not enough O's in smoooooth.

Prolly should get some pics of it but it's currently buried.

DownhillR3

I went to Creek a few times last year on my 150/130 trail bike and I really enjoyed it, but I think I'd like to get a proper DH rig to really learn/experience DH better. I started shopping for something used as I probably won't use it near as much as my trail rig in a given year, but everything I find seems completely clapped out. What are the best affordable options for someone looking to get into the sport, but already knows I won't be a season pass holder going a few dozen times annually (at least until the 3 year old is addicted...LOL)?

ac
Check out companies that do direct sales to customers. Commencal, Diamondback. You can get some pretty decent deals through companies direct.

If not, keep an eye on Pinkbike.

Sven Migot

I swapped the Iron Horse SGS Pro frame for this Jamis Diablo 2.0.
The SGS was a little too big for me. Cranks are new. Might be interested in selling. Make an offer...

1525916265294.png

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Sorry, than the Diamondback DB-8 I found for similar price that the seller claims is practically brand new.
I dunno man, your call. Giant is a better brand than DB in my opinion. Lots of options out there and i know trying to find the "right" bike and price is tough on the used market. You definitely want to see (or better yet ride) the bike before buying if you can. I bet if you went to Blue, they'd let you do a run on it before buying or let you rent it for the day, and if you like it, take the rental price off the sale price. "Nice" sellers may do the same if you meet up with them at a bike park and leave collateral.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just checked commencal USA website and if you ride a medium they have a couple bikes on discount for 1999 to 2200

Ian F

Hmm... hard to say. The Giant is a linkage virtual pivot bike and the DB is a single pivot with a linkage driven shock. They'll provide a different ride. If the Giant truly is "better" is debatable. Yes, it's a good bike - a World Cup winning bike that has been fine-tuned for over a decade - but designs similar to the DB have won as well. The DB will likely be more reliable and need less maintenance. Might be a tad stiffer as well. The main detractions of a single pivot are more pedaling input (don't really care on a DH bike) and braking will usually stiffen the suspension - something you can get used to.

And I say this as someone who rides a VPP bike (Intense M16C). But I had some of my best racing results on a single pivot (early pre-FSR Intense M-1).

avc8130

I think I am going to grab that Diamondback. Reviews are pretty consistent that it's a solid bike. It's in the budget and doesn't seem destroyed for a change. My thought is it will answer the mail for now pretty well.

ac

Top Bottom