Aero/carbon road wheel question.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I am looking to spend under $1200 on a set of carbon road wheels...aero or not. I am most likely going with Light Bicycle 25mm wide wheels. I have a question about depth. I do not care about aero really but is a 25mm deep 25mm wide going to be plenty stiff in a u shaped clincher or will the deeper 38mm help that much? Also ,big difference between dtswiss 240/350 hubs or mostly jusyt weight? I am not going with Dura Ace wheels for the record.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Rim brake. @Norm doesn’t like “should” so can you ask this more politely? Just kidding, merry xmas all! I ride road for training. Is tubular a good option for this? Do you get less flats with tubular??

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
HED-Wheels-H3D-FR-TriSpoke-Deep-Section-Front-Wheel-2012.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Rim brake. @Norm doesn’t like “should” so can you ask this more politely? Just kidding, merry xmas all! I ride road for training. Is tubular a good option for this? Do you get less flats with tubular??

i was using my jedi mind trick - guess it didn't work :D

tubies might be tougher, but it is a major problem if you get a flat, or catastrophic if they come unglued....
I talked 1sh0t out of buying them - guess i shouldn't be working it here!!!

merry christmas!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thx, looking more for a lightweight carbon wheel. Only reason i would get any deeper than 25mm is if it was needed for stifness. Will the 25mm deep be too flexy?

i've never ridden these either - so i'm interested - also, what happens on a windy day like today??

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Thx, looking more for a lightweight carbon wheel. Only reason i would get any deeper than 25mm is if it was needed for stifness. Will the 25mm deep be too flexy?
Yep, I just meant that if you look around you can find the Reynolds for some pretty cheap prices. The Assaults are 46mm.
i've never ridden these either - so i'm interested - also, what happens on a windy day like today??
As you know, I'm not a light guy, so as @Norm so delicately told me, anything less than a hurricane wouldn't affect them (found to be true). :D Lighter folks may get blown around a bit.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stiff aluminum wheels are going to be around 600 to 800 bucks . I'd rather have a good aluminum wheel over a cheap Chinese carbon rim any day

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Good stiff aluminum wheels are going to be around 600 to 800 bucks . I'd rather have a good aluminum wheel over a cheap Chinese carbon rim any day
Hmmm. Take this with a grain of salt I guess? Venture over to fatbikes and I have seen way more broken HED wheels(carbon or alloy) vs Nextie. Do I trust all chinese manufacturers? No. I do think Light and Nextie wheels are premium chinese made wheels however when premium shops like Hilltop and Knapps(lifetime warranty) use them to build custom wheelsets. ZIPP is another big donestic company with a bazillion failures so...

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw a few sets of Duraace c24/34 9000 on facebook market the other day for under $500.

Thats an 11 speed sub 1400gram wheelset for a silly price and the quality is really good

Pretty crazy that Valors are lighter. They're disc only so don't fit the criteria. I think I remember @Rich W telling me he's put some road miles on his so if you had road disc it could be done.

that VW guy

I'd go with a used set vs chinese stuff. I know that LB has plenty of good reviews, but don't see why one would go that way especially seeing how the used market is. Not uncommon to find a few sets of Enves around for under $1200 not to mention other brands like Zipp, Bontrager, Reynolds, Easton and Roval all well within the $1200 budget.

Wind...I am 125lbs, 5'6 on a S5 (read: windsail in crosswinds) and I ride Reynolds Aero 58/72s in the allamuchy flats. The only time I have ever had a problem is when a massive gust of wind hit me at the right moment and didn't allow me to turn into a corner initially. Aside from that, it's predictable and is almost never a sudden push aside from that moment. A few years ago I rode first gen 808s as my every day wheels and didn't really have much of an issue. 25 vs 38, IMO, won't be a significant factor in wind. This is "IMO" with my experience!

DT Swiss 350s are great hubs. They use the same ratchet style engagement as 180s and 240s.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I saw a few sets of Duraace c24/34 9000 on facebook market the other day for under $500.

Thats an 11 speed sub 1400gram wheelset for a silly price and the quality is really good
Highly recommend, these are hard to beat for the money. I have over 25,000 miles on a set of 7900 c24 with zero issues. I now have around 6,000 on a set of 9,100’s. DA bearings are silky smooth... they have an aluminum brake track so no squirlly carbon in wet condition.

I am not sure if these wheels have a weight limit but I would say if you are above 185, these may be alittle On the flexible side. I don’t have an issue at 160 but under really hard efforts you can get them to move.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Highly recommend, these are hard to beat for the money. I have over 25,000 miles on a set of 7900 c24 with zero issues. I now have around 6,000 on a set of 9,100’s. DA bearings are silky smooth... they have an aluminum brake track so no squirlly carbon in wet condition.

I am not sure if these wheels have a weight limit but I would say if you are above 185, these may be alittle On the flexible side. I don’t have an issue at 160 but under really hard efforts you can get them to move.
Thanks. I’ll probably steer clear. I am 190 race weight and 205ish off season.

Top Bottom