jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

ACTION ALERT:
Protect Access to E-bikes in NJ​
394bab40-0ae5-4af6-96af-284c4ce412be.jpg

Right now, the New Jersey Legislature is considering a bill (S2292) that will require everyone who owns an electric bicycle (e-bike) to obtain registration and insurance. This bill would limit access to e-bikes across the state by creating barriers to ride. Your voice matters! Help protect access to e-bikes.

To view the pre-written letter addressed to your elected official visit the action alert page here. You can review before it is sent and feel free to add any personal comments in the letter that explain why this legislation would negatively affect your access to riding an e-bike.​
Use the link below to send a letter to your representative!​
Help us spread the word!
Encourage your friends, family, and colleagues to join the movement by sharing this email and the link to the digital letter on your social media channels. The more voices we gather, the stronger our message becomes.

Stay informed!
To stay updated on the progress of Senate Bill S2292 and similar initiatives, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and visit our website NJBWC.org regularly. Knowledge is power, and by staying informed, you empower yourself to be a catalyst for positive change.​
S.gif
Stay connected with us!​
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Have questions?
info@njbwc.org

New Jersey Bike & Walk CoalitionSuite 140551 Valley RoadUpper Montclair, NJ 07043​

Sent. Twice.

Never owned a dirt bike, but just curious are dirt bike owners required to register and insure dirt bikes that aren't ridden on the streets?

Sent. Twice.

Never owned a dirt bike, but just curious are dirt bike owners required to register and insure dirt bikes that aren't ridden on the streets?
Yes...kinda. There are off road plates available.

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) or Dirt Bikes: license​

You do not need a permit or license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in New Jersey. However, the vehicle must be registered and you must observe the following regulations:

• Operator must be at least 14 years old.
  • Always carry proof of liability insurance and current registration.
  • Use the ATV or dirt bike for off-road use only.
  • If you are under 18 years old, you must enroll in the ATV Safety Institute course to operate an ATV; if you are operating a dirt bike you must enroll in the safety course provided by dirtbikeschool.org to obtain a safety certificate*. For information on fees and duration of the course, please check their website or call (800) 887-2887.
  • Anyone under age 16 is prohibited from operating an ATV or dirt bike with an engine capacity greater than 90 ccs during training or while on public lands or waters or to cross a public roadway.
  • Individuals cannot sell more powerful ATVs or dirt bikes to anyone under 16 years of age.
    • ATV and Dirt Bike use is prohibited in all New Jersey State Parks and Forests – no exceptions.
    • See below for registration information.
      *If you are under age 18 and only operate an ATV or dirt bike at licensed special events, you are exempt from the safety education course. You are also exempt if the ATV or dirt bike is used on public lands or waters or across a public highway as an incident to or in the actual performance of the operations of a farm that is adjacent to the public land and or water or public highway upon which the vehicle is being operated.

Senator Bucco was my neighbor a few years back, great family !!! I should swing by and say hello to him again.

Honestly I hope this curbs a bunch of Class 2 Bikes. Mopeds require Reg and a Liscense at 25mph and most e bikes are 30mph...

Senator Bucco was my neighbor a few years back, great family !!! I should swing by and say hello to him again.

Although he is my age, i actually knew his Dad - went to school with mine (Boonton.) Good family all around.

this really has nothing to do with e-mtb's used on trails. this has to do with the street-ridden e-mopeds that you get on amazon.
Uh, this is the definition in the text of the bill. Looks bad for pedal assist ebikes.

""Low-speed electric bicycle" means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, that meets the requirements of one of the following classifications: "class 1 low-speed electric bicycle" which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or "class 2 low-speed electric bicycle'' which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour."

I agree Class 2 might be "curbed", since these are basically electric mopeds, but they've added pedal assist only in with them. And, as far as trails are concerned, this is the text in the bill.

"e. Unless permitted by a local government entity or State agency with jurisdiction, a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter shall not be operated on a trail designated for non-motorized traffic if such trail has a natural surface tread made by clearing and grading the soil and no surfacing materials have been added."

This seems to be an exclusion unless specifically allowed. So, pedal assist ebikes will be illegal on trails by default.

Sent as well.

I see this as one step closer to requiring all bikes to be registered and insured. I know there's been some talk of that in the past.

Uh, this is the definition in the text of the bill. Looks bad for pedal assist ebikes.

""Low-speed electric bicycle" means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, that meets the requirements of one of the following classifications: "class 1 low-speed electric bicycle" which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or "class 2 low-speed electric bicycle'' which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour."

I agree Class 2 might be "curbed", since these are basically electric mopeds, but they've added pedal assist only in with them. And, as far as trails are concerned, this is the text in the bill.

"e. Unless permitted by a local government entity or State agency with jurisdiction, a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter shall not be operated on a trail designated for non-motorized traffic if such trail has a natural surface tread made by clearing and grading the soil and no surfacing materials have been added."

This seems to be an exclusion unless specifically allowed. So, pedal assist ebikes will be illegal on trails by default.

Technically they are illegal everywhere now, is that stopping anyone? 😁

I’m not for e bikes personally buy before we ban them from our roads without insurance and registration how bout we tackle the problem of idiots on 2stroke dirt bikes and quads on public streets that are not insured or registered?

Back
Top Bottom