[a very large proportion of] drivers of large pick up trucks drive like complete a-holes

wonderturtle

I drive 70 miles every day on 287 and the GSP and have made the undeniable (IMHO) observation that a very large percentage of people who drive those extra large pick ups drive like total assholes. They tailgate like crazy! Weave in and out of lanes and just genrally drive like complete jackasses.

I honestly can't think of any other type of drivers where this type of driving behavior is so overwhelmingly obvious.

Any one else ever notice this?

My apologies to the few owners of huge pick ups that don't actually spend their entire commute riding two feet from someone's bumper at 80mph

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I drive 70 miles every day on 287 and the GSP and have made the undeniable (IMHO) observation that a very large percentage of people who drive those extra large pick ups drive like total assholes. They tailgate like crazy! Weave in and out of lanes and just genrally drive like complete jackasses.

I honestly can't think of any other type of drivers where this type of driving behavior is so overwhelmingly obvious.

Any one else ever notice this?

My apologies to the few owners of huge pick ups that don't actually spend their entire commute riding two feet from someone's bumper at 80mph

as a driver of a full size pickup who doesnt tailgate, my observation is that EVERYONE on 287 (at least the northern section) drives like that at rush hour (i grew up in kinnelon for reference). However i would say BMW drivers are worse from my observations on the parkway driving over 100 miles a day :/, and most of those assholes seem to have NY plates on their cars . . .

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
To be fair, it is only about 80%.

I have a guy that passes me anytime I take a particularly route so I am within a 1/2 mile of the same spot at the same time. It apparently never gets old For him to speed around and probably burn 1/2 gallon in the process.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
There's a guy that I've seen regularly on my commute over the years, who happens to live a few miles from me on a main drag that I drive and ride the road bike on often. I've seen the various trucks parked in his driveway over the years.

This guy will roll up on people in the fast lane on Rt. 18 and get in their back seat if they don't get out of the way.

Currently , he's driving a Tundra that's entirely blacked out, it's not even really a legit brodozer. And when I see him coming in my mirror, even when I'm doing 80, which I agree is the left lane minimum speed on a freeway, I get the hell out of the way. I'll admit, seeing this obnoxious jerk pulled over one morning will make me smile.

Last edited:

wonderturtle

as a driver of a full size pickup who doesnt tailgate, my observation is that EVERYONE on 287 (at least the northern section) drives like that at rush hour. .

No im not talking the run of the mill driving a little too close im talking mere feet from the car in front going 80. I'm talking you're driving in the MIDDLE or SLOW lane going with traffic and above the speed limit and out of no where you look into the rear view and see nothing but grill. Happens all the time. Happened twice on my commute home today. Both time middle lane, with traffic, above speed limit, pickup inches from my rear bumper

FWIW I have noticed that this actually happens far more on the GSP than 287. After all it's hard to tailgate doing 80 when traffic is going 15.

Dingo

BMW drivers are the 2nd worst, Audi drivers a close third.

First place is the brodoser's, with the rolling coal for full effect. Of course I get to deal with the GMC brodoser owners at work. Lets just say nobody here at work goes out of their way to make them a happy customer. Total fucking a-holes every single one.

Dingo

I enjoy screwing with pick-up trucks. I let them ride my ass and then gun it when they try to pass. I consider it payback for the hundreds of times I've been coal rolled on the bike by one.
We get 'em back even better. The rolling coal means the software has been modified. We take a snapshot of the data and send it to GM. Instant powertrain warranty void. Oh you should hear a half grown up adult cry.

wonderturtle

I enjoy screwing with pick-up trucks. I let them ride my ass and then gun it when they try to pass. .

I screw with them too. They get on my tail and I let up completely on the gas. 75-70-65-60-55. Then they pass. And if I am able (I drive an Elantra LOL) I get close enough to the car in front that they can't pass.

I'm happy to stay out of the fast lane so dont friggin tailgate me in the middle lane when I'm doing 75 (just like the hundreds of cars ahead of me)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
set adaptive cruise control to 'tailgate' - it isn't my their fault!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We get 'em back even better. The rolling coal means the software has been modified. We take a snapshot of the data and send it to GM. Instant powertrain warranty void. Oh you should hear a half grown up adult cry.

There was one kid with a Dodge that would get me almost every ride coming out of Summit.
I screw with them too. They get on my tail and I let up completely on the gas. 75-70-65-60-55. Then they pass. And if I am able (I drive an Elantra LOL) I get close enough to the car in front that they can't pass.

I'm happy to stay out of the fast lane so dont friggin tailgate me in the middle lane when I'm doing 75 (just like the hundreds of cars ahead of me)

The GTI accelerates from 80 to 150 like a bat out of hell so I haven't run across one yet that the move doesn't work. Although driving home from Egg Harbor today I had a guy in a FIT that kept trying to go around me for some reason. I was doing 100 in the left lane and he kept trying to slingshot me. I think those things max out around 100 so I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish. Never even accelerated, once the thing came out into wind it didn't have enough gusto to go around and he'd slide back behind me.

Tim

aka sptimmy43

I'll agree with earlier sentiments and say that if you're in the left lane going the speed limit or less you get what you get, but the middle lane is another story. Rush hour traffic just sucks but when it isn't bumper to bumper I think the problem is actually the completely ignorant guy in the left lane going 10 under the limit with miles of empty road ahead of him. Everything gets jammed up behind and people look for a way around.

A few months ago I was behind an ignorant slow poke on I-80. This guy was so clueless he didn't notice the state trooper damn near in his trunk for a couple miles. Still didn't notice once the lights were on. Trooper had to wail on the siren to get this guy's attention. It made my day to see him finally pull over to the shoulder. Turns out it is illegal in NJ to drive in the left lane if you are not passing.

Top Bottom