Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
That was Funny!! I needed a god laugh on a day like today.....
If it's what I think it is... here is something for ya. I heard on the news last night after Trump won that Canadian immigration website crashed.

On the bright side, at least our taxes won't be used to build that wall on the Mexican border. I am pretty sure Mexico will foot the bill.... to keep Americans out!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
POSS's first official duty

20161223_155859.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
you need some racks and or baskets, but looks good from 10 ft away
Yep... will be adding a rack as soon as I make a visit to @soundz

The messed up thing is... there is no legit place to lock up the bike at my local mart.

The POSS also needs a longer quill stem.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Never thought too much about sizing and fit for MTB... not until recently after a bout with the roadie. The roadie took a good 2 months and I don't think I am there yet. Pretty comfy but still not 100%... can you get it to 100%? Even on the MTB, I went with function over form. Both mtbs now sport a stem boner pointing up.

Anyways, I am now on a hunt for a 27.5 FS frame. The plan is to move over the best parts from the Talon and SL over. I want the new frame to be comfortable but I am at a lost as to what size I need. The Talon is a L and I was told the SL was a L as well. Talon feels slightly big and the SL feels a bit small. Been browsing the measurements of different bikes here and there and they seems to be all over the place. Just as an example, I think it was Orbea? their fit calculator said I should be on a S? Obviously the best thing to do is to ride one... but since I am only looking at a used frame, how do you ride a frame? I suppose one can go to a bike shop and ride the newer counterparts but the measurements can be different from MY to MY.

I think I have finally gotten used to the clipless.... enough so that I have clipless pedals on 3 of the 4 bikes. POSS will never have clipless. It took a while because I was consistently bailing early and it really sucked the fun right out of riding. Out on a ride just to be on a bike... no good. Then one day, I just decided to grow a pair and hammer it down. Its been about good 5 or 6 rides where I haven't had a clipless fail moment but there has been a couple of close calls.

Just a couple of thought to jot down before hitting the trails this AM.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally, I like slightly smaller than slightly bigger. When I got my custom made, I found out most mediums are tiny bit big for me.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Good thing about buying used is you can offload it for about the same price or at least a slight loss if it doesn't work for you.
The problem I am having is that my current bikes are so cheap... I don't think anyone would want them lol. Once I get the FS frame, the SL probably be stripped completely and up for grabs to whoever wants it. I got it for free, so it will be given free.

Personally, I like slightly smaller than slightly bigger. When I got my custom made, I found out most mediums are tiny bit big for me.
I also think Medium bikes look the best aesthetically.
You and I are pretty similar in height? Doesn't the smaller frame bother your back?

Last edited:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You and I are pretty similar in height? Doesn't the smaller frame bother your back?

5'8" 30" inseam .. no back issues, I must be young for my age. I find when you have more distance between the seat and grips, it forces you to adjust your riding to use your core more to hold yourself up which is the proper way to do it.

Last edited:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have the most problem with the back of my neck and holding the head up. It gets better as you get used to it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Is it possible to fatigue faster on a smaller chainring?

I've been riding the Talon with a 1x10 setup with 32t up front with a 11-36 cassette. Recently, noticed that 2 teeth were broken so I pulled out the SL with 2x9 with a 32t and 26t? up front and 11-34 cassette. 2 days ago, wanted to see how much easier it would be with the smaller ring and certainly was easier but my legs lost all will to peddle. At this point, even hike a bike was tiring.

Fast forward to today. Figuring I had an off day the last time, off I go with the SL. Soon, I start to fatigue and the damn chain kept on dropping so moved up to the 32t and my legs kinda came back to life. Am I crazy?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it possible to fatigue faster on a smaller chainring?

I've been riding the Talon with a 1x10 setup with 32t up front with a 11-36 cassette. Recently, noticed that 2 teeth were broken so I pulled out the SL with 2x9 with a 32t and 26t? up front and 11-34 cassette. 2 days ago, wanted to see how much easier it would be with the smaller ring and certainly was easier but my legs lost all will to peddle. At this point, even hike a bike was tiring.

Fast forward to today. Figuring I had an off day the last time, off I go with the SL. Soon, I start to fatigue and the damn chain kept on dropping so moved up to the 32t and my legs kinda came back to life. Am I crazy?

I've been told to use the big ring when the legs get tired and use the small ring when your lungs get tired. It seems counter-intuitive and of course you have to use some common sense as well depending on terrain and situations, but seems to work for me.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some people are mashers, some are spinners. I'm more of a spinner. There's probably truth as well to what Jimmy said though. Spinning that smaller gear faster must have killed your cardio, which I think you always said was shittier, while your legs are stronger because of all your mileage this year. At the same time, your SC probably weighs more than the Talon? Not sure if that has anything to do with it since you felt better in the larger gear.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
your cardio, which I think you always said was shittier
This is true... when my lungs are in the red and I feel like I'll drop dead, my legs usually feel like they have more to give.

When on the road, I have been trying to increase my cadence and it has gotten better but I guess I'm still relying more on my legs.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Never thought too much about sizing and fit for MTB... not until recently after a bout with the roadie. The roadie took a good 2 months and I don't think I am there yet. Pretty comfy but still not 100%... can you get it to 100%? Even on the MTB, I went with function over form. Both mtbs now sport a stem boner pointing up.

Anyways, I am now on a hunt for a 27.5 FS frame. The plan is to move over the best parts from the Talon and SL over. I want the new frame to be comfortable but I am at a lost as to what size I need. The Talon is a L and I was told the SL was a L as well. Talon feels slightly big and the SL feels a bit small. Been browsing the measurements of different bikes here and there and they seems to be all over the place. Just as an example, I think it was Orbea? their fit calculator said I should be on a S? Obviously the best thing to do is to ride one... but since I am only looking at a used frame, how do you ride a frame? I suppose one can go to a bike shop and ride the newer counterparts but the measurements can be different from MY to MY.

I think I have finally gotten used to the clipless.... enough so that I have clipless pedals on 3 of the 4 bikes. POSS will never have clipless. It took a while because I was consistently bailing early and it really sucked the fun right out of riding. Out on a ride just to be on a bike... no good. Then one day, I just decided to grow a pair and hammer it down. Its been about good 5 or 6 rides where I haven't had a clipless fail moment but there has been a couple of close calls.

Just a couple of thought to jot down before hitting the trails this AM.
Everyone has their own opinion on fit. I think large is good based on your height. Feel free to try my Turner out. I should be at High Mountain a couple of times during the next few days.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Maintenance week...

I lost the lock out function on the RS Sektor some time ago so on Tuesday, I "serviced" it. I should have replaced all the seals and whatnot but just cleaned and changed the oil hoping this would fix the issue and not to mention, I didn't have the seal kit. No surprise here... didn't fix the lock out. Then it dawned on me that I used the wrong oil. The dampener side needed 5w oil. I had filled it with 15w on Tuesday. Yesterday, went out and got the correct 5w oil and this morning drained the dampener and refilled it. The fork does feel better but still, the lock out does not work. Seal kit is on order.

As mentioned, I was dropping the chain on the SL quite a bit. Looked at the chainrings and the chain and they look ok. Then I took a look at the chain line and the alignment was pretty bad. No wonder I was dropping the chain. No too long ago, I had switched out the BB and crank between the SL and Talon and since then, the SL was in storage. Pulled out the bottom bracket and moved the spacers from the drive side. The chain line looks a heck of a lot better.

Also bled the front brakes on the Talon... I hate bleeding brakes with a passion.... probably due to the crappy bleed kit. The hose kept popping out from the syringe. Made a mess and prolly the pad are contaminated. Need to torch that sucker. I also had to take the caliper apart as the damn thing would not accept the new oil. Found a piece of gunk in there and I figure it was blocking the passage.

Still... more things to do....

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Everyone has their own opinion on fit. I think large is good based on your height. Feel free to try my Turner out. I should be at High Mountain a couple of times during the next few days.
I've always had a bit of a back problem and I am concerned with a smaller frame. Altho I have to say that the smaller SL feels more nimble but can't ride it for an extended period of time. About 2hrs and I am done. On the larger Talon, I can go longer. I guess I need to look at the top tube length and find something that comes closer to the Talon.

I am planning on hitting HM tomorrow morning if you want to join me. LMK.

Top Bottom