A new name, better access and more activity for Jungle Habitat

V-Dub

So the pole structure may be taken down soon, moving the gate and kiosk probably will not happen till spring sometime.
We are looking forward to starting a new (large) project as soon as the snow melts.

gtluke

The Moped
LAAAAAME

HTML:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTXinHH8AI/?taken-by=midhursttreecare

Thanks for sharing @Robin

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@pooriggy - looks like it is marked ground-under-repair. should be a free drop.

kinda unbelievable that this is the solution they concocted for a non-existent parking problem - esp right before winter.

gtluke

The Moped
i can't figure out how to paste a link to instagram that's clickable without it converting it to a photo. weird

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
URL

it should put up a pic, and make the pic clickable - imho.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Bummer. The Park is losing its character. "Plans for the former Warner Bros. theme park that now serves as a mountain biking destination include a freshly paved, well-lighted and camera-monitored parking area, said Eric Pain, Ringwood State Park superintendent." Lame, but at least it seems the trails won't be touched and we won't be charged to ride there, so I guess that's a win.

oobaa47

damn, so they removed the entrance way.....can anyone advise if anything else was removed yet? Is the place suitable to take the family hiking to point out the odd little items still about and to "search" for released zoo animals? Have far in do you have to hike to see the old exhibit locations? My youngest is 4 so after a mile or so, I'm sure he'll start dragging.....thx

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would say you have to cover more than a mile to see the old exhibits, they are definitely more than 1/2 mile from the entrance.

huffster

Its a little more than 1/2 mile walk to get to the parking lot if you just go up the paved park road from the entrance. That includes an uphill. But, before you reach the lot (and top of hill), you can take a detour and go to the right and look out over the cliff at the airport and planes parked below. Maybe with some luck one will land or take off.

If you continue up into the lot and stay along the left edge, you will see the tunnels about 1/2 way up the lot. Those are kind of neat for kids. You will have done 3/4 mile already. If you wander around the trails in the woods to the East (the tunnel side) there are some old cages in that vicinity. Kind of hard to remember the exact turns.

If you were to stay in the lot and walk along the tunnel side to the top and then turn left (paved), then turn right (woods road), there is an old choo-choo track up that way. That might be a little beyond the stamina of the 4 year old.

If you know your way to the base of Otter Slide trail, there is an old Otter slide exhibit at the junction of Warthog and Otter Slide.

Hope that helps a little!

damn, so they removed the entrance way.....can anyone advise if anything else was removed yet? Is the place suitable to take the family hiking to point out the odd little items still about and to "search" for released zoo animals? Have far in do you have to hike to see the old exhibit locations? My youngest is 4 so after a mile or so, I'm sure he'll start dragging.....thx

oobaa47

Its a little more than 1/2 mile walk to get to the parking lot if you just go up the paved park road from the entrance. That includes an uphill. But, before you reach the lot (and top of hill), you can take a detour and go to the right and look out over the cliff at the airport and planes parked below. Maybe with some luck one will land or take off.

If you continue up into the lot and stay along the left edge, you will see the tunnels about 1/2 way up the lot. Those are kind of neat for kids. You will have done 3/4 mile already. If you wander around the trails in the woods to the East (the tunnel side) there are some old cages in that vicinity. Kind of hard to remember the exact turns.

If you were to stay in the lot and walk along the tunnel side to the top and then turn left (paved), then turn right (woods road), there is an old choo-choo track up that way. That might be a little beyond the stamina of the 4 year old.

If you know your way to the base of Otter Slide trail, there is an old Otter slide exhibit at the junction of Warthog and Otter Slide.

Hope that helps a little!

Great, thanks huffster! I was there once a couple years ago. All I remember is that huge paved parking lot. Yeah that does seem a little much for my young one.

Top Bottom