A challenge for Hartshorne riders

Point well taken Don.

I am ashamed to say I only made 1 TM session this season. There where a lot of reasons why I couldn't attend more regularly but to those of you who go to TM on a regular basis they are a bunch of excuses.

A lot of attention is paid to go fast guys and races but I greatly appreciate folks who do volunteer work on our trails. I have to make a better effort next year to get to more TM sessions.

Every time I come to the trailhead of Rocky Point I think of you Don grappling that 500lb rock and beating it into submission. ;)http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailgorilla/3579756043/in/set-72157619113928366/

No worries PoorIggy - I know you put in the time when you can. And the fact that Hart is a pretty far distance from you and your a busy dad I can relate.

Too funny on that pic - I look like a spazz. I brought my wheelbarrow this time and Hiker Joe and I were pushing wheelbarrow loads of rock up hill to give a section a good foundation. That beat the hell out of me - maybe more than that rock did that day :D

I was just there Sunday. The recent trail work is great, some much needed re-routes. The part that was just done caught me by surprise, it's still a bit spongy but once it gets packed down more it'll be great.

I do most of my TM work at Allaire or C-Rock, I need to make the training class for MCP eventually.

Our sections should have been plenty firm - saw some riders climb up and tires didn't sink at all. I think there was another re-route further down the trail - I didn't get a chance to peep it. Maybe I'll get over there in the next few weeks - I want to see how the work holds up after it gets some use/weather on it.

I was one of those people, and I can tell you that I am genuinely appreciative of any work, that anyone does, at Hartshorne and Huber.

And, as with others, knowing about the MCPS class well in advance, and putting it on my calendar, is the next step I need to take in order to join you out there.

Cool. I think anyone who rides and truly loves mtn biking gets a lot from doing TM. The feeling of riding something that you built is the best feeling - some might call it zen or spiritual but I think it is flat out rad.

Need to add - thanks for the work at Allaire - I think you were the one that said there was a TM there and I saw your name on the Allaire TM thread. You guys have done a great job at that place.

Last edited:
Thanks again.

Cool. I think anyone who rides and truly loves mtn biking gets a lot from doing TM. The feeling of riding something that you built is the best feeling - some might call it zen or spiritual but I think it is flat out rad.

Need to add - thanks for the work at Allaire - I think you were the one that said there was a TM there and I saw your name on the Allaire TM thread. You guys have done a great job at that place.

Hey Don ,Thanks for the great work to you and the rest of your crew! Not to steal ChrisG's thunder but it was I who mentioned about Allaire TM for Sunday. It made me feel a little less guilty climbing up past you guys knowing that Sunday I would be trading places with you at Allaire. You guys had a great and friendly group and seemed to be enjoying your work. Every time we rode past, you were like, " whata think?, How is it? Is it ok?"
Well it was great and very much appreciated. Please post the next training class up here and Im sure more will come.. Thanks again, Mitch

Last edited:
I agree that the classes are a bit of a pain in the a$$ and the classes and TM are scheduled last minute. With 3 kids and a busy household, I work best with last minute but for others it may not. I think Karen the the MCP group is working on it - she mentioned they will have dates for next year just not the places associated with them.

As far as the training class itself being bunk. I have to disagree. I'm sure I've said it before but the class is worthwhile. And you still get to do an hour or so of TM at what ever place they host it. I have been shaping dirt then riding bikes on it since I was 10 and learned a few cool things at the class I took a couple years ago. To be honest, I think there could be an advanced class and round table discussion added if the budget and staff hours are available.

WOW.. i almost thought i bore people when i teach the class reading some of the coments listed. I know i try very hard to keep it interesting and worth while...
As far as the class being bunked, stupid, nonsens...like it or not its park rules and also the insurance comanys rules.. hope to see those who want to attend the class thier. Ill posdt up when i find out when the next class will be. Sorry i couldnt make the last Tm on saterday but work called.. i was bummed...

The reason why we or " that person " asked if you now JORBA or Work with JORBA at other places is that we need to know who has the experiance and who deosnt, also knowing we can use you somewhere else maybe doing the heavier stuff. and i know i can count on Iggy and Don to roll with me and do some major trialwork..

PS_ Saturday, December 11th, Trails Team Holiday Lunch at the Visitor Center, Thompson Park 12:00noon -3:00pm, plesae RSVP to Melissa Kelly at mkelly@co.monmouth.nj.us

Peace..See you on the TM sessions.

Mike

Last edited:
Good Work

Our sections should have been plenty firm - saw some riders climb up and tires didn't sink at all. I think there was another re-route further down the trail - I didn't get a chance to peep it. Maybe I'll get over there in the next few weeks - I want to see how the work holds up after it gets some use/weather on it.

I spoke with Harden one of the MCPS Master Volunteers and trail Crew Leaders he told me everyone kicked butt out thier, cant wait to ride that section.. Great work to all involved..

to see pictures from that day go here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lincroft-NJ/Monmouth-County-Park-System/172049432834

mike

Last edited:
Hey Don ,Thanks for the great work to you and the rest of your crew! Not to steal ChrisG's thunder but it was I who mentioned about Allaire TM for Sunday. It made me feel a little less guilty climbing up past you guys knowing that Sunday I would be trading places with you at Allaire. You guys had a great and friendly group and seemed to be enjoying your work. Every time we rode past, you were like, " whata think?, How is it? Is it ok?"
Well it was great and very much appreciated. Please post the next training class up here and Im sure more will come.. Thanks again, Mitch

Hey Mitch - thanks for the props! And thanks for the help at Allaire :thumbs: I get a bit geeky/techy into trail work. And if if doesn't flow well please let me know. I know my work isn't perfect but will get better the more I do/learn.

When I build dj trails I ask everyone who rides it how it works and I give it a runs too. If it's not as close to perfect as possible we change it. Had a mint landing I had a LOT of hot summer hours on (probably 10+). All squared off and packed not to mentioned the work on the lip that feed into it. After some riding and discussion we figured out the whole set needed to be moved 6 or so feet to keep up the speed. We are still working on it. But it will be sweet when it's done.

Also, have a berm that has been a work in progress for about 4 years now. Finally got it to where we like it just this year. So if it's not dialed, then let me know - if I can, I'll put in the hours to fix it.

I spoke with Harden one of the MCPS Master Volunteers and trail Crew Leaders he told me everyone kicked butt out thier, cant wait to ride that section.. Great work to all involved..

to see pictures from that day go here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lincroft-NJ/Monmouth-County-Park-System/172049432834

mike

Mikey - thanks - the crew was solid and keeping a real strong pace! Let me know what you think of that section (look at my previous post). Love any and all feedback. Will see you on the trail.

Don,

My brother Pat and I rode the park on Sunday after we did the trail work and again on Thanksgiving morning...I had a blast going up and down the connector. The reroute on top was tight and solid going down. I think the area we worked on right at the end of the session where we repositioned the rocks and buried them was great.

The new section at the bottom of the hill was cool too, just a little spongy...nothing a little time and traffic won't fix. I'm sure the rain today will help speed the process along. I will be back on Sunday to give it another go and check out the work we did.

I too would be interested in a more advanced session...will keep a lookout from MF on any new developments.

Brian

Was all about those 90min double sided to record on my magnavox boom box
Hellz yeah
IMG_1028.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions