9-29-2012 winging it

Blk06CompIRL

i am going to attempt a ride here tomorrow (sat 29 2012) 8am, never been so hope its well marked. I have read some old posts on diff trails but ill never recall that while riding so i will use mapmyride to tack where i go to help me from getting to lost haha (can always back track). Ill be on my 26" HT for yet more abuse so prob be a slow ride and interesting experience for i need more rock time. will park at the lot at Intersection of Green Pond and Lower Hibernia Rd, Rockaway long as i can find it.

Blk06CompIRL

so i rode here this morning, I accomplished 1.5 hours of ride time for roughly 7 miles. I parked at bat cave lot took orange all the way to the top of hawk watch overlook and chilled out for a little bit. I left the overlook back tracking orange a little and made a left onto white trail, i took white trail until in intersected the fire road which i fallowed down (prob only section of trail i wish i had a FS and more travel) to where i made a right on blue. I got a little confused on blue when i reached a large open dirt area with a few back and forth but ventured on managing to stay on blue all the way back to the parking lot. Overall i had a blast of a time. I was able to ride roughly 75% of it. i Had a few foot downs from the normal not knowing the trails, confusion of where trail went due to heavy leaf ground coverage (it all blended in) and lack of skills to maneuver up and over terrain while climbing. I managed to clear most logs and did well on most down hills till nerves hit a wall at times do to drops/ steepness and exit angle. I do want to go back and ride again soon i just need to learn how to get on top of objects and work the back wheel better lol so oh no i must ride more what a shame :-D

MannyL358

Nice running into you out there! You're doing great! Keep it up and next year you'll be a mad man ripping stuff up. :popcorn:

Blk06CompIRL

Nice running into you out there! You're doing great! Keep it up and next year you'll be a mad man ripping stuff up. :popcorn:

agreed was a very unexpected surprise to turn a corner and see people standing around with a camera lol and its always good to put a face to a name! Thank you, i hope that works out like that and i look forward to the release of the trail review as well. keep up the good work!

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
On the last shoot, we spent several hours out there without seeing a single rider, and you were the only one this time.

You still have plenty to discover, the loop around is 10 mile min, and you need a few hours to complete. You can find an updated map here:
http://www.jorba.org/wildcat

Sorry for the confusion at the ATV play ground, I painted up some trail makers yesterday and will likely put them in tonight.

Blk06CompIRL

On the last shoot, we spent several hours out there without seeing a single rider, and you were the only one this time.

You still have plenty to discover, the loop around is 10 mile min, and you need a few hours to complete. You can find an updated map here:
http://www.jorba.org/wildcat

Sorry for the confusion at the ATV play ground, I painted up some trail makers yesterday and will likely put them in tonight.

i had a lot of fun riding there and plan to hit it up tonight or tomorrow for round two. and no worries on confusion i dont mind getting a little distracted. i figure ill do a couple small loops then hope to have enough experience to do over 10 mile loop with minimal walking

Last edited:

Dirt Dawg

Quick Question on this same subject - I have only been out here twice, but loved it both times. Would this loop be feasible? Park at Bat Cave - Follow Beach Glen Trail to the end, jump on Meridian Road for a short bit, then left onto Green Righter Mine Trail - to Split Rock Dam area - then Yellow to Orange and Back down? Seems like an big loop - but doable ?

Blk06CompIRL

Are the trails marked pretty good out there. I live just down the street but have never ridden out there.

from the trails i rode on orange blue white yes well marked just on the trees my only issue was with the one blue section that trailhead said he was going to put more markers up in. i went solo and survied fine just print out a trail map and bring some common sense as you will need to connect trails to make a loop.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Quick Question on this same subject - I have only been out here twice, but loved it both times. Would this loop be feasible? Park at Bat Cave - Follow Beach Glen Trail to the end, jump on Meridian Road for a short bit, then left onto Green Righter Mine Trail - to Split Rock Dam area - then Yellow to Orange and Back down? Seems like an big loop - but doable ?

Ya that is a roughly 10-11mi loop, plenty doable.

Blk06CompIRL

if rains holds out i plan to ride here again tomorrow 10-2-12 at 520pm if anyone is interested in joining me let me know based on last ride im aiming for roughly 6miles in a 1 hour time frame and ill dismount when needed.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Be careful out there folks..I have noticed hunting activity in the area...I think they are using guns and so you should take precautions....dusk is an especially bad time as wildlife activity increases and the trigger finger gets itchy.... Bear bells, Bright orange, communicate ...be courteous...they have the right to be there too.

For our own good, I'm obligated to remind everyone:
http://www2.jorba.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=35

jackx

Isn't hunting prohibited on Sundays? Or is that not a general rule, and it is dependent on what (animal) season it is, or by geographic area?

Blk06CompIRL

Correct me if im wrong, but you can only ride out at wildcat ridge on Sundays now that it is past Sept.15.
i will have to look. i have read a few sites recently with no mention of tht from what i saw but best to doubld check. with the rain today ill prob have to skip it s i dont feel like riding slick rocks lol
Isn't hunting prohibited on Sundays? Or is that not a general rule, and it is dependent on what (animal) season it is, or by geographic area?
when i rode at tourne on thurs i saw signs saying hunting in progress safety stuff every day but sunday so it may depend on location/game/equipment

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions