8th Annual Cranks Around the Campfire MTB Festival

charlesrg

Guys, it's going to be our first year there. Me, wife and 2 little kids. What do you guys recommend as gear ?
Tent, grill, sleeping bags, inflatable mattress, stove, grill ? wondering what I will need to take. If anyone has a list or some opinion please share. don't want to order stuff at the last minute.

zip

Swimsuit. Lifeguards on duty Saturday afternoon 2:30 to evening and Sunday 10 to 2. Swimming area also has a sloping walk in sandy beach for wee ones.
You do not need a lot of $$camping gear because the weather this time of year is usually warm and it is only a two night out. Essential items would be a tent, mattress, blankets, flashlights, bug spray, long pants and a cooler. ( Good idea to put food and garbage in cars at night to avoid animals big and small. There is a dumpster by the dining hall, please close lid.)And a simple one burner propane stove. The rest can be improvised with household items.
Most sites have a roofed pavilion if it rains. There are picnic tables, tent platforms, water spigot, and a charcoal grill at each site. Each site can hold multiple groups with plenty of room leftover. There are about 14 sites spread out around the camp. ppbsa.org has a map of the camp.

Last edited:

zip

We bought new mallets a year ago so if anyone wants to put together a challenge the equiptment is available.

DanBrodeen

IMG_8499.JPG
Cranks is next weekend! Check out the new logo! T-shirts available online and onsite. Register at www.bikereg.com/cranks-around-the-campfire

DanBrodeen

Cranks Schedule!

Friday

12:00pm Cranks Opens
Campers and Day participants may begin arriving. Please check in at office.
4:00pm Group Rides

Beginner ride: Around camp

Intermediate Ride: Stephens or Allamuchy North

Advanced Ride: Allamuchy North

8:00pm Campfire
Across from Shower House. Bring a snack and your favorite beverage.
8:00pm Night Rides presented by Princeton Tec

Ride on the Reservation Bring a bike light, flashlight, and water. Meet at Office.

9:00pm Movie Night Double Feature at the Dining Hall
Bring munchies and favorite beverage to watch some cycling themed cinema! Meet at office.

Saturday

8:45am Festival Opening Ceremony
Meet at the office with fellow campers to officially start the weekend.

8:45amKids Activities
Meet at Office. Camp staff will watch your kids while you are on your group ride. Activities will include arts/crafts, fishing, hiking, biking, nature walk, and more! Please pick up your kids by 11:45. Send them with water bottle and a snack.
9:00am Group Rides

Beginner: Camp and/or Stephens SP

Advanced Beginner/Intermediate: Deer Park with Brad 1.5-2 hours

Intermediate: Stephens 1.5+ hours with Burke

Advanced: Allamuchy North on Technical terrain with Peyman 2+ hours

Advanced Endurance: With Jim Vreeland at Stephens 3+ hours
11:00am Kids MTB Ride (Red Barn)

2:30-8:00pm Open Swimming at the Waterfront
2:00pm Cognition Endurance Sports Coaching Intermediate to Advanced Skills Clinic
Intermediate/Advanced MTB Skills Clinic

Looking for some new skills to help conquer the challenging Allamuchy terrain? Join the Cognition Coaching crew for an Intermediate/Advanced skills clinic. After a brief refresher of critical fundamental skills, we'll move on to each of the skills required for riding the type of terrain you will find throughout Allamuchy. Topics to be covered include cornering, wheel lifts, navigating switchbacks, small drops, and more. Limited to the first 20 riders that sign up upon arrival. Meet at Vollers field up past the Red Barn

2:00pm Group Rides
Advanced Beginner/Intermediate: Stephens with Rich 1.5 hours

Intermediate: Allamuchy with Jairo 1.5-2 hours
Advanced: Allamuchy North with Brodeen 2.5-3 hours
6:00pm Beach Party BBQ
Join your fellow campers at the waterfront for some lakeside fun. Bring your favorite beverage (solo cups provided) and enjoy some free hot dogs/hamburgers. There will be music playing to get your post ride recovery groove on!
8:30pm Campfire
Across from Shower House. Bring a snack and your favorite beverage.
8:00pm Guided Night Hike presented by Princeton Tec
Meet at the office. Bring some water, sturdy shoes, and headlamp. Lights also available for use from Princeton Tec. Hike 2-3 miles long.

Sunday

8:45 Kids Activities: Fishing
Meet at Office Poles, tackle, and bait provided
9:00am Group Rides
Beginner: Camp

Intermediate: Stephens with Burke 2 hours

Intermediate: Deer Park with Brad 2 hours

Advanced: Allamuchy with Jairo 2 hours

Advanced Endurance: Allamuchy and Stephens with Peyman 3 hours

11:00am Kids MTB Ride (Red Barn)
10:00-2:00pm Open Swimming at the Waterfront
1:30pm Group Rides
Advanced: Allamuchy

Intermediate: Stephens
6:00pm Cranks Closes

Trash to dumpster in back of dining hall.

Thanks for joining us! See you next summer!

zip

You will eclipse your food mooch amount of last year.:p
We are working on last minute preparations, including trying to scrounge up more ride leaders.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You will eclipse your food mooch amount of last year.:p

I don't know, I did pretty good last year, including the banging grilled cheese sandwich you made me after I already had two breakfasts. And I think I ate 12 cheeseburgers last year.

Top Bottom