6 Mile Run Conditions

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dry and dusty! Didn't cross Middlebush but the whole canal side was good. The only softish spot was the reroute down on blue and even that was just tacky.

I second this. Grippy. Conditions are perfect for testing how much you can lean into a turn.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Are you guys feeling like the trail closure was helpful?

How does that new section ride? I have a lot more work to do there btw.

I think it probably was. My thoughts are based on what I read here, though, not on first hand observations. Sounds like there were few cars in the lots during the closure so that seems like a win. I know for me personally if I were to go to a park unsure of conditions and found the trail head to be blocked with a "closed" sign it would remove all doubt and I would find something else to do. I am not naive enough to think everyone thinks like I do but, hopefully, closure during sensitive times combined with the new signage will help deter at least some people that would otherwise be causing damage.

Are you referring to the new section along the field on blue? It was a little rough but should get better as it gets ridden more.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG

I think the closure really helped. It was getting bad and there is a lot less to fix than normal at the start of the season.

New section is still a little rough but riding much better than it was in the winter.

I am gonna get in there with the rake again (this time in daylight) and I’ll also get some saw work done on blue.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

i'll have a better idea after riding, but i'm going to guess it was too late to reduce the amount of trail work
that will be needed -

I think the better reason for the closure is the displacement of the compressed dirt which will be subject to
flowing away with the rain. Like the trail becoming a culvert in the field sections of blue.

Also people going in and looking at deep bike ruts just seems like a bad association for the mtb community.

jklett

I think that it was much needed, probably should have happened a bit sooner but I still think that it was helpful.

I really like the new part(if it's the section I think you're talking about). It adds some fun to a part that was just straight.

I'm going back after work today with a hand saw and some clippers to help with a few things, thank you very much for all the work you do for this place.

Reactions: Tim

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
I think that it was much needed, probably should have happened a bit sooner but I still think that it was helpful.

I really like the new part(if it's the section I think you're talking about). It adds some fun to a part that was just straight.

I'm going back after work today with a hand saw and some clippers to help with a few things, thank you very much for all the work you do for this place.

Lemme know what you hit (which trail) so I can plan my tomorrow morning.

Kangdoy

Rode blue, red, crossed Middlebush to orange and took shortcut red back and onto white. Conditions were perfect! Only spot was iffy was on shortcut red when it opens up. It's dry, but there were a ton of ruts. Sucks that it's going to rain tomorrow though...

jklett

Just got back, did a little cutting on Blue, it should be clear all the way up except for a few logs that are too big for my saw. Both areas I cleared were starting to get ride around but no reason for that now.

These are the ones I couldn't take care of but with some more stick piling they could be rollable.
IMG_20190404_182534803.jpg
IMG_20190404_182019182.jpg
IMG_20190404_181800186.jpg

BTW, thanks to Pedro on the blue santa cruz for the help. It would have taken me a good bit longer without him.

Last edited:

Dajerseyrat

I think the closure really helped. It was getting bad and there is a lot less to fix than normal at the start of the season.

New section is still a little rough but riding much better than it was in the winter.

I am gonna get in there with the rake again (this time in daylight) and I’ll also get some saw work done on blue.
You guys need a hand tamper to pack it down some? I have one I can bring if you pm me when you're going I'm off all day tomorrow.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
@jklett that one log with the ride around forming is definitely one I’m gonna get tomorrow morning. Thanks for the update.

@Dajerseyrat i like to use a bowed rake vs a tamp. Rake it out and then ride it in. Tamping could help with the riding in faster but that’s a lot of work where a few passes on the tires will get a line going.

jklett

@jklett that one log with the ride around forming is definitely one I’m gonna get tomorrow morning. Thanks for the update.

@Dajerseyrat i like to use a bowed rake vs a tamp. Rake it out and then ride it in. Tamping could help with the riding in faster but that’s a lot of work where a few passes on the tires will get a line going.
I only went as far as where I knew were major problems today, I'll be keeping the saw and clippers on me from here on in and next time I'll focus on some of the face slappers. I know that there's a big log down on the other side of Middlebush but I don't think there's much more as far as major problem areas(trimming wise at least).

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Couldn’t get in this morning. My early morning access was thwarted by local authorities. If no one can get out to cut, I’ll get it after the rain.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions