6 Mile Run Conditions

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Can we do this as a vinyl banner? @jdog?
I don't really care for the last line. Maybe something about enforcement instead?

I’d rather
Especially when the tape looked like a child put it up. Can the state put up some official looking tape? Or even red stop signs, something a little more official and attention grabbin.

I see your point completely, but rather than offer criticism for the quality of the way it was done, it like to praise them for taking a stand to protect the previous trail work I’ve done.

This situation sucks, but it’s happening all over as we live in an overpopulated state with precious few spots set aside for outdoor recreation of any kind.

When I spoke to the park rep on Friday, we both knew that this effort would be ignored and that anything that they might do would be taken down. We also agreed that this might act as a signal that could start a conversation about why the trails might be closed.

I’d love to see locking gates and sophisticated signage at every trailhead explaining that the soil here locks in moisture and that riding these trails when wet is an act of ignorance and selfishness, but I’ll take what I can get today.

I’m forever thankful that years ago, some good people from JORBA believed in what I said I could create and they stood by me as we met with park reps to request access to build and maintain trails here. Many don’t understand that they said NO many times before they said maybe and then much later a hesitant yes.

Today I’m happy too see that the tide is turning on the way we treat this resource and that we have created something unique that makes life in NJ far more bearable. Know it isn’t Moab or Kingdom trails, but I’m glad to offer as many hrs as I can to make it a little better each year than it was before...

I Ride Bikes

I read the article and it was good but it's just not true. The problem isn't just within the MTB community, it's with our whole society in general. I don't know what it is or how to fix it but these are drastically different times. Too much entitlement and a lack of desire to volunteer and give back is a large aspect. Too many people want everything done for them for free and have grown accustomed to that.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This was sent to me today. Posted as you see it in UT

I sent it to the park reps and they like it

DDEFFFE8-C793-4E6F-8D3A-A5EE98622F36.jpeg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Too much entitlement and a lack of desire to volunteer and give back is a large aspect.
Its easy to jump on that band wagon but I will say if you look for answers to these questions you can find solutions.

People will volunteer, but you have to ask them directly. Asking for volunteers on the internets is not asking directly, you may get some response but for the amount of people that read it, very few will help. Before computers, we used to call people on the telephone and ask for help volunteering, it was harder to say no to someone on the other end of the line you knew when they asked for help. These days if you need volunteers you have to be direct and ask someone via text, phone, word of mouth. This isn't just Iggy bs, its what I've learned and read.

“Of all the research I’ve seen, across all age groups, the number one reason people volunteer is because they’re asked,” says Sarah Jane Rehnborg, a professor of public affairs in volunteerism and board governance at the University of Texas at Austin. “A single person directly asks a single other person—that’s really, really important. When you ask everybody—when you send a flyer home saying ‘We need help with X’—you’re essentially asking nobody. Some will come forward, but a lot will think ‘I’m too busy’ or ‘They don’t need me’ or ‘Someone else will come forward.’”

Entitlement, if we did create a generation of kids that we feel is entitled, I'm sure we can figure a way to foster responsibility and connection to each other, which is what we all want anyway.

I'm not picking on you Mike, I'm just responding to the things I hear repeatedly. We can all point out problems(myself included) and pile on blame, but we can also fix problems.

Also the more mtbers become aware of trail etiquette the better the chances they will stay out of 6 mile when muddy. Pics of signs should be posted all over social media, FB, IG and talked about...the more mtbers that see it the better the chances of peeps respecting trails.

Are we allowed to xc ski 6 mile if we got snow?

GHM73

That's a fantastic sign. The park could use about 40 of them.

Check out Safetysign.com. Excellent quality, ability to make custom signs, good prices. Official OSHA signs, etc. Great resource.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its easy to jump on that band wagon but I will say if you look for answers to these questions you can find solutions.

People will volunteer, but you have to ask them directly. Asking for volunteers on the internets is not asking directly, you may get some response but for the amount of people that read it, very few will help. Before computers, we used to call people on the telephone and ask for help volunteering, it was harder to say no to someone on the other end of the line you knew when they asked for help. These days if you need volunteers you have to be direct and ask someone via text, phone, word of mouth. This isn't just Iggy bs, its what I've learned and read.

“Of all the research I’ve seen, across all age groups, the number one reason people volunteer is because they’re asked,” says Sarah Jane Rehnborg, a professor of public affairs in volunteerism and board governance at the University of Texas at Austin. “A single person directly asks a single other person—that’s really, really important. When you ask everybody—when you send a flyer home saying ‘We need help with X’—you’re essentially asking nobody. Some will come forward, but a lot will think ‘I’m too busy’ or ‘They don’t need me’ or ‘Someone else will come forward.’”

Entitlement, if we did create a generation of kids that we feel is entitled, I'm sure we can figure a way to foster responsibility and connection to each other, which is what we all want anyway.

I'm not picking on you Mike, I'm just responding to the things I hear repeatedly. We can all point out problems(myself included) and pile on blame, but we can also fix problems.

Also the more mtbers become aware of trail etiquette the better the chances they will stay out of 6 mile when muddy. Pics of signs should be posted all over social media, FB, IG and talked about...the more mtbers that see it the better the chances of peeps respecting trails.

So volunteers need to beg people to volunteer? Maybe we can get someone to volunteer to handle that.

I Ride Bikes

As far as volunteering goes, I wasn't limiting that to just MTB. Just in general in society. Just look at the decrease in volunteer firefighters around the country. Sure there are exceptions but there's a pattern.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Per your own post, this post means nothing because only so many people will see it on the internet.

This site via J was responsible for six mile TM days with 50? people. IIRC, there were maybe 3-4 like that until the majority of those people never helped again. J has asked since, but could barely muster a handful of people. I am not sure that is because those people haven't been asked to their face or via simultaneous communication. I am one of those people, as my office used to be 15 min from 6 mile, house 30 min, where now 15-20 min has been added to both those times. Maybe everyone else moved too.

Information can be spread so much faster with the internet / social media / electronic communication, yet it seems, that everything on the internet just becomes blurred by everything else on the internet. The other issue is you never really know what is actually getting out to people. A flyer used to be a way for people to find out about something. If you hung it in certain places, people may see it. Now, Zuckerberg decides what you see, based on likes, so people like shralp sunday much more than muddy trail signs and I see the same shralp post 5 times where 6 milers condition reports doesn't even show on my feed anymore.

I really don't have a point other than asking people isn't magically going to work.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really don't have a point other than asking people isn't magically going to work.
You'd be surprised Kevin, it certainly works better then the internets.
As far as volunteering goes, I wasn't limiting that to just MTB.
I understand, volunteering is down everywhere. The reasons given are universal.
So volunteers need to beg people to volunteer? Maybe we can get someone to volunteer to handle that.
You mean like a volunteer coordinator? , no that would never work.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions