6 Mile Run Conditions

pygmypony

depending on my work schedule tomorrow...i might break out the snowshoes and hike in tomorrow to break some more trail...maybe it will be rideable saturday AM before the thaw/rain...that, or maybe i should just go skiing...

GHM73

White was broken through already and totally rideable. Not bad while it's frozen. There will be plenty of melt today though. Not sure what tomorrow AM will look like before it rains.

pygmypony

the blue from canal rd was more rideable today than y'day...i left the lot at around 11am and it was still pretty frozen (dashboard temp of around 32 or 34 can't remember), and more packed down than y'day...i only had a short window so needed to head back to the lot...the way back was a little softer and more wet...

it doesn't look like it's going to get that cold tonite, but the early am temps could provide pretty decent conditions before the rain starts (looks like between 8 and 10am as of now)

also, don't follow my tracks completely...i missed the trail somewhere in the middle of the ride here, and did a little hike-a-bike...
https://www.strava.com/activities/903770180

thegock

THIS MAY CHANGE WITH THE WEATHER

Wheels down 7:55am @ Canal Rd. Blue was fine Rollin swole with the Fattie. Lost the trail at one point. When I circled back and realized it, simultaneously realized that it didn't matter, because I could ride on the crust of the snow.

Only rode west of Middlebush Rd.

Heard that White was bad. Red was slow with lots of footprints. Saw 3 other fat bikers.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Boy, I sure hope not. Ridicule is the only attention I get these days. :rolleyes::oops:o_O

85122ede72fce2b4a2d6cee41fc514da.jpg

GHM73

Echoing what Tom said, White was kind of a mess mostly. Lots of frozen footprints making it tough. Crust was good and frozen early though, floated over most of that for a smooth ride. Did white to red to blue up to the fields and then turned back because I was punching through the crust a lot more, even at 4psi. It just got too soft. Tomorrow will probably suck and after that it'll be a muddy mess unless it's really cold all day.

viper8315

go to allaire. i predict the muddiest day on record @6MR.
or round valley - that is a major adventure. and the views are better.
Agreed, if there ever was a day to go police the lot, this Saturday would be the best day to do it. It will probably be insanely muddy.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you think it would be better on Sunday then? I only mtb Allaire and 6 miles and I am probably gonna ride Allaire Saturday.

Ian F

It seems like we go through this every Spring... I wouldn't plan on riding 6MR until mid April, but it'll depend on rain amounts. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the trees are waking up late this year. Until they do and start sucking moisture out of the ground, it's going to take awhile for the area to dry out.

GHM73

Agreed, 6 will be mud all weekend and likely most of next week. Saturated from snow melt, plus it's going to rain this weekend which always means stay away.

Generally this time of year, WITHOUT snow melt and above freezing temps, you'd need at least a solid week (or two) of zero precipitation to even think about THINKING about going to SixMile.

Go explore the state! Lots of other trails out there :)

GHM73

Still a mudfest. Still seeing the uneducated posting pics from riding this weekend. Trying to spread the knowledge.

Jairo S.

Hey there.
I have never been to 6 mile and was hoping to maybe go on Saturday.
Any locals around that can give some advise? maybe not a good idea with all this rain?
Thanks!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions