6 Mile Run Conditions

GHM73

@jdog, I'm off for two weeks. I'd be glad to help with some trail work. Let me know when and where. Only thing I have scheduled so far is 10am Thurs so any other time is good, especially next week.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thanks a ton.

When an old section of trail is closed, "someone" always takes it upon themselves to reopen the old one. This happens nearly every time.

New sections are added for a reason, but this is what keeps me from making big changes during the busy months.

In this particular section, the new trail is way more fun, so it seems it must be someone who is anti-fun??

i would put forward this. Opening an old trail is the same as building a rogue trail.
I was not able to find the legal stuff about building trails in a county/state park - but i'm sure it is out there, and the
fines are not small. maybe @Carson or @Jerzeejoe knows how to find it??

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i would put forward this. Opening an old trail is the same as building a rogue trail.
I was not able to find the legal stuff about building trails in a county/state park - but i'm sure it is out there, and the
fines are not small. maybe @Carson or @Jerzeejoe knows how to find it??
The likelyhood of catching someone red handed is very unlikely. It isn't like they have shovels or something.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The likelyhood of catching someone red handed is very unlikely. It isn't like they have shovels or something.

Agree -
was considering some type of signage -
for all we know, they might think they are doing something good...more is better, or 'we always go this way' mentality.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I know this is going to be some real "Captain Obvious" shit, but why is there no signage asking people to please remain on the paths and not "trail blaze"? You know, something that points out the damage "extra" trails do to the park. Yes, we do have a few "rouge builders" but mostly, it's hikers just taking a walk in the woods and bikers following what they think "IS" the trail. Periodic trail side signage might go farther "long term" than just closing short cuts.

While I think about it, most parks have more "paint on tree" trail markers than 6mile. I realize that it's not exactly a labyrinth out there....but if given the choice of a marked or unmarked trail, most recreational park users will choose the marked trail. That should help the "cheater" trails recover faster.

Last edited:

I Ride Bikes

I know this is going to be some real "Captain Obvious" shit, but why is there no signage asking people to please remain on the paths and not "trail blaze"? You know, something that points out the damage "extra" trails do to the park. Yes, we do have a few "rouge builders" but mostly, it's hikers just taking a walk in the woods and bikers following what they think "IS" the trail. Periodic trail side signage might go farther, "long term" than just closing short cuts.
This is true. For all we know these people think the're helping out by clearing some debris. Some people aren't as smart as we think and need signs to get through life. Some people don't know coffee is hot.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I know this is going to be some real "Captain Obvious" shit, but why is there no signage asking people to please remain on the paths and not "trail blaze"? You know, something that points out the damage "extra" trails do to the park. Yes, we do have a few "rouge builders" but mostly, it's hikers just taking a walk in the woods and bikers following what they think "IS" the trail. Periodic trail side signage might go farther "long term" than just closing short cuts.

While I think about it, most parks have more "paint on tree" trail markers than 6mile. I realize that it's not exactly a labyrinth out there....but if given the choice of a marked or unmarked trail, most recreational park users will choose the marked trail. That should help the "cheater" trails recover faster.
I am not a fan of more signs solves the issue but Mercer and Monmouth use those "natural area restoration" type signs in some places where they reroute a very worn in trail. This gives people and opportunity to remove and toss a sign, but it is an additional way to say "all these sticks mean you don't go this way any longer"

Mountain Bike Mike

I recall riding through Jamesburg park with a group and as we passed a "closed" trail, one of the Jorba guys said... "That's how you close a trail"... The trail had a huge pile of logs and brush... The logs were huge and the scattered pile was high and deep - so much so, you would really need to take some time and lots of energy to clear it.

I knew that trail well and I really wanted to explore it but it wasn't worth trying to get over and around all that crap so it worked and sent a clear message.

ilnadi

any idea if 6MR will be ride-able this afternoon? Too far away to see if it got any rain and not extremely familiar with the trail.

also, my son (10 year-old on a 20" bike) and I have been doing the blue trail from the Canal St lot, we get abut 2-miles in without too much problem. Is the red or orange from the 27 lot comparable?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@ilnadi, The trails are in good shape and we haven't had any rain so far today... We are expecting some this afternoon. 6mile is mostly red clay, so if it rains it'll be slick as ice.

People will tell you differently, but in my opinion red, 27 lot to the first field (power lines) is the most beginner unfriendly "legal" part of the park. It can be bypassed (kid friendly) to get to orange... (The kid will love orange) by starting behind the soccer fields and then going up the little hill to the first field.... But it would be better if you had someone show you so you don't get lost.

@Arwen's Mom, perhaps you could do a better job describing the kid friendly way to orange.

2c-

Dan-

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
any idea if 6MR will be ride-able this afternoon? Too far away to see if it got any rain and not extremely familiar with the trail.

also, my son (10 year-old on a 20" bike) and I have been doing the blue trail from the Canal St lot, we get abut 2-miles in without too much problem. Is the red or orange from the 27 lot comparable?

there are a couple quick steeps in the beginning from 27. and the red trail can get a little swampy. i like the canal side for kids.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
@Arwen's Mom, perhaps you could do a better job describing the kid friendly way to orange.
cross the soccor field, enter trail, small down hill with some loose rocks :) make the first right. go up the hill and make the left at the top just after the roots :). If you go straight, you will still get there but in a round about way and at the end of the twisties rather than the beginning.
once you cross the first field there will be a left turn. Its not well travelled and sneeks up on ya so keep a sharp eye.

you will now enter the famous twisties. make a right. Have fun. dont make shortcuts!

Rdoonz

cross the soccor field, enter trail, small down hill with some loose rocks :) make the first right. go up the hill and make the left at the top just after the roots :). If you go straight, you will still get there but in a round about way and at the end of the twisties rather than the beginning.
once you cross the first field there will be a left turn. Its not well travelled and sneeks up on ya so keep a sharp eye.

you will now enter the famous twisties. make a right. Have fun. dont make shortcuts!

This description is dead on. I have taken my kids to 6 Mile since they were 7 years old and the route described by @Arwen's Mom totally avoids the ups and downs coming out of the Rt 27 lot, totally kid friendly. My kids have always LOVED riding the Orange twisties. Although starting out of the Canal Lot out and hitting the Blue Trail is my now my son's favorite because he loves the mini "pump track" in the open field before hitting the woods. He'll ride back in forth in that one section like 20x before he gets tired of it.

GHM73

Did Blue to S. Middlebush this morning. Finished around noon. Great conditions. Will be even better tomorrow if we get just enough rain to tack the place up.

ekuhn

Was there tonight. Quick 5 min shower while out was just enough to make the roots slick. Dry as a bone over most of my loop.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions