6 Mile Run Conditions

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
suppose to freeze tonight. Think its a good idea to head out there at 7 AM while its still frozen?

yep. you should be OK. i bet some of the deeper puddles wont be frozen still though. watch for the ice. if there is a layer of snow on top, you won't see it. front tire disappears out from under you real fast when you hit ice.

Tonggi

how much snow is on the trails now? I havent been out in 2 weeks. I see posts from friends in other trails riding in the snow. Lewmo being one of them. Not on fat bikes. They said doable, cant go fast but still decent enough to get a ride out. Wish my dang spike tires came in already!

alex_k

narrow tires will be ok. some segments in woods were still under packed snow, few places were quite icy.

GHM73

Hiked Red from 27 to the concrete bridge yesterday. It's all unrideable. Can't speak for the Canal side / Blue but I'd guess it's all a mudfest by this point.

GHM73

What's it like rut-wise tho? I was considering going there this weekend but frozen ruts in mud aren't much fun either

Lotsa ruts, at least on the East (27) side. I haven't been over on the Canal side in a while. I have lots of pics. Pretty ugly.

rick81721

Lothar
Lotsa ruts, at least on the East (27) side. I haven't been over on the Canal side in a while. I have lots of pics. Pretty ugly.

That's what I thought. If I venture out anywhere sat or sun (not likely) it will be someplace close and there will probably be sheets of ice in spots. At least I could get in my annual wipeout on ice pic for @soundz

Tonggi

Rode a small section today. From 27 lot, red to orange back to red. THe trails were fine minus a few spots that will be frozen. Its 50/50 dirt and snow but I had no issue doing anything with my skinny tire bike. After another night of freezing. tmw morning everything should be solid. The snow was pretty solid I didn't really sink much. Funny the snow is mostly on the trail. anything off the trail had absolutely no snow.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
@Tonggi called it. Conditions at 6MR were great today. About 50/50 snow/dirt...maybe 40/60. We did both sides. The trails in the wooded areas have decent snow cover. Snow is firm, but lumpy. Not sure if it's been reported before but the northern 1/4 of the cement bridge is under deep water. We had to "bucket-brigade" the bikes across after leaping from bridge to bank. Dirt is frozen hard.

0213161101d_zpscfo8rn9r.jpg

File%20Feb%2013%205%2016%2002%20PM_zpsnls7dusr.jpeg

Rdoonz

I hit 6 Mile this morning. I rode the canal side of the park. I feel like I saw things a little differently than the guys writing the two previous posts. I would describe the trails as "rideable". I agree with the 4o% snow cover on the trails. The Blue trail coming out of the canal lot was a rutty, frozen mess coming through the field. Once in the woods the trails were hit or miss. The field runs on Blue were covered with lumpy, frozen snow which was slow going but not too bad. The White Trail coming was sketchy in a multiple spots. A very light covering of snow over ice made it very dicey for a 1/4 mile or so coming off the Red Trail through the cedars. Same thing for the 1/4 mile or so of the White Trail near the lot on Jacques Ln. The best section of trail by far was the Red Trail between Canal Rd and Rabbit Chase Run, very little snow cover and very smooth.

My two cents, take a ride to Hartshorne. I rode Harts and Huber woods yesterday and the trails were pristine. I rode 14 miles and saw one section of trail (maybe 100 or so ft) that had any snow, other than that the rest of the park was fast and smooth.

fdr_us

Second that. Rode the whole park this morning. Few parts are in great shape, but overall there are too many ice ruts to get a good pace going.

ekuhn

On Saturday there was a tree down on the top of the climb on blue before heading down towards the steel bridge. I tried to push pull and twist it out of the way, but it was just too big. Should be able to handle it with a small hand saw. If I get out later in the week I will try to take care of it.

I cleaned up some other fallen branches on the trail as well.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
On Saturday there was a tree down on the top of the climb on blue before heading down towards the steel bridge. I tried to push pull and twist it out of the way, but it was just too big. Should be able to handle it with a small hand saw. If I get out later in the week I will try to take care of it.

I cleaned up some other fallen branches on the trail as well.

thanks - i'll get out there. happen to have a pic of it?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions