6 Mile Run Conditions

Saw your tracks this morning @BiknBen :) Just went to check it out, not ride though.

I was considering going today after work, but I was thinking that there is going to be so much melt, that we get down the the mud :( But if you think it'll be rideable I may give it a try.

I was considering going today after work, but I was thinking that there is going to be so much melt, that we get down the the mud :( But if you think it'll be rideable I may give it a try.

I'm at Jacques Lane lot not. About to 'roll' out. I'll let you know what I think later. I doubt we will see Dirt in the next two days. What is packed is becoming hard and will last longer. Stay tuned.

I'm at Jacques Lane lot not. About to 'roll' out. I'll let you know what I think later. I doubt we will see Dirt in the next two days. What is packed is becoming hard and will last longer. Stay tuned.

Thanks Ben - would also appreciate your opinion on how those of us with 2.2" tires would fare

Well, I'm done riding. It was much more difficult than I hoped. I slept in too long and it didn't get cold enough last night.

I went from Jacques to Canal Rd. Even the open trail from the lot was difficult and slow. A couple forced stops along was way. Once in the woods, it was as much walking as riding. Frustrating but challenging.

Once at Canal Rd. I took the roads back to the lot and repeated my original path. It is more downhill and easier.

The second pass was noticeably easier but still involved plenty of walking in the woods. Took the roads back to the lot again.

Rinse and repeat. This time again even easier. Was able to get a little further through each section that stopped me the time before. When I got to Canal Rd this time, I turned around instead of taking the road. Back to the lot on the trail.

Because I'm stubborn, I did that one more time. At this point I'm eaven confusing myself. So yes, I only rode from Jacques Lane to Canal road...many times.

Snow is too soft now. Not enough traction to accelerate or turn normally. I'm done with the bike today. I'm gonna snowshoe in the other direction and see what I find. @alex_k , that is what I'd suggest.

Maybe a dawn patrol fat bike ride tomorrow. Any later and it will be too soft. No way you are riding this on less that 4" tires.

@alex_k I snowshoes from the Jacques Ln lot to White. Entire length of White. Then turned left on Red and took that back to the lot. It is not rideable yet so you could repeat what I snowshoed and get it closer to rideable.

@alex_k I snowshoes from the Jacques Ln lot to White. Entire length of White. Then turned left on Red and took that back to the lot. It is not rideable yet so you could repeat what I snowshoed and get it closer to rideable.
I packed the white trail from 7 to 9pm. Unfortunately all open segments were already frozen when I started.

Had time free in the afternoon, so after a stop by Halters I stopped by to try some new snowshoes. Was going to blaze some trail on the 27 side, but doesn't look like anyone has been in that lot since before the snow. Went to canal and did a quick out and back to the tree line.
Pretty sure I managed to find the trail today, as there was a bit of a depression forming in the snow. Saw what I am assuming were @BiknBen 's tracks, but no others. Getting spotty bits of exposed dirt, but on the whole probably a bit too deep and crunchy for anything but a fat bike. If you get out soon to may spot my line, being that it veers from the pack in multiple spots.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I packed the red trail from white to blue and then down to the metal bridge. The white is a little bumpy and soft but looks much better than the connection from Jaques Ln parking to the red which is quite icy.

I'm debating which tires I'll choose tomorrow - studded Dillinger 4 or GC 4.6.

Last edited:
After spending 5 hours there on Wednesday (riding/hiking and snowshoeing) I gave up. The warm temps are screwing with the snow conditions. I'm not able to get there at dawn and what I found Wednesday was too soft and slushy. I'll wait for the next snow. :-(

After spending 5 hours there on Wednesday (riding/hiking and snowshoeing) I gave up. The warm temps are screwing with the snow conditions. I'm not able to get there at dawn and what I found Wednesday was too soft and slushy. I'll wait for the next snow. :-(
What about tomorrow morning? I'm sure the trails will be frozen.

I'm trying to get there from the Weston tow path, lots of pushing but breaking trail for folks interested, about half way after an hour
WP_20160130_11_16_18_Pro.jpg

Yesterday morning was perfect on White. I was out from about 8 to 10:30 and it was just starting to soften up a bit from the sun by the time I left. Red between White and the Jacques connector was not rideable, but Jacques connector was fine. From White, took Red to the Blue connector and down the hill to the metal bridge. Once down the hill, not really that rideable even with 4" tires at 7psi or so. Nothing past the bridge was rideable.

It was 41 when I left the house this morning I would say the freeze did not happen :(

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions