6 Mile Run Conditions

Blue and red heading out from canal definitely have a few Muddy spots, but they can mostly be ridden around. Orange is in really good shape. Red near the 27 lot is a bit muddy as well.
The usual advice is if there are a lot of puddles, ride the road. Please do not go around puddles as this widens the trail. If you do encounter a puddle, slow down, to a walking pace, and go through the middle, this displaces less mud to the edge of the puddle (displaced mud makes it deeper). If the puddle is already too deep, walk it, a couple footprints does less damage.

this time of year is hard on clay base trails. Any "damage" done now can easily freeze and make winter, and spring riding conditions sketchy until the trails can be repaired by volunteers.

Soil is now saturated for sure. Any rain or freeze/thaw will make things pretty bad.

Pretty stoked how things are holding up.

Frustrating amount of shortcuts happening.

Please take a second and shut them down when you see them

The usual advice is if there are a lot of puddles, ride the road. Please do not go around puddles as this widens the trail. If you do encounter a puddle, slow down, to a walking pace, and go through the middle, this displaces less mud to the edge of the puddle (displaced mud makes it deeper). If the puddle is already too deep, walk it, a couple footprints does less damage.

this time of year is hard on clay base trails. Any "damage" done now can easily freeze and make winter, and spring riding conditions sketchy until the trails can be repaired by volunteers.

Thanks, great advice! Most of the muddy sections were able to be avoided while still staying on the actual trail if you sacrificed your KOM aspirations and took it slow. :) I personally prefer not to be covered with mud, so I take it pretty easy through that kind of stuff.

I played hooky from work this morning, it was well worth it! a little wet in spots especially as the overnite freeze started to thaw as the sun broke through the clouds...but in general a great day for riding!

I also wanted to thank the guy I saw hauling a wheelbarrow on the blue trail his morning. I ran into someone else on the trail later and he told me his name is Justin from one of the local bike shops...I'm guessing he's on this site so I wanted him to know his hard work is really appreciate! thanks!

i don't know... i was there at 10 am and i thought it was a little too mushy for my liking... i actually shortened my ride because of the conditions.

i ran into Jay @jdog while riding... maybe he can comment better on conditions... i feel the need to apologize for actually riding today...

Last edited:
i don't know... i was there at 10 am and i thought it was a little too mushy for my liking... i actually shortened my ride because of the conditions.

i ran into Jay @jdog while riding... maybe he can comment better on conditions... i feel the need to apologize for actually riding today...

I think I may have run into you in the canal parking lot and I was thinking I felt bad...you asked me how the trails were and I said great...but you are right, after 10am things definitely softened up quite a bit...especially in the section from south middlebush to canal road...earlier in the morning, from 27 to middlebush it was really nice

That's the slick stuff on the top layer that melts when the sun hits it after it freezes. L It's not a good idea to ride 6MR when the temps are freezing in the early morning hours but then go above freezing. Either hit it when it's still frozen (early like sunrise), or wait until late afternoon if the sun or wind can get to it. If it's an overcast day with no wind chances are it will not dry out if it was frozen in the morning but not in the afternoon.

I think I may have run into you in the canal parking lot and I was thinking I felt bad...you asked me how the trails were and I said great...but you are right, after 10am things definitely softened up quite a bit...especially in the section from south middlebush to canal road...earlier in the morning, from 27 to middlebush it was really nice
and yes, apologies to jay (i called him Justin earlier
That's the slick stuff on the top layer that melts when the sun hits it after it freezes. L It's not a good idea to ride 6MR when the temps are freezing in the early morning hours but then go above freezing. Either hit it when it's still frozen (early like sunrise), or wait until late afternoon if the sun or wind can get to it. If it's an overcast day with no wind chances are it will not dry out if it was frozen in the morning but not in the afternoon.
totally makes sense clarkenstein...i left rte 27 at about 845am and things we still nice and firm and mostly frozen (and my dashboard temp was at 36)...by the time i got to canal rd (a little before 10am) things were definitely getting a bit softer...i'm glad i checked in here...next time i'll get started even earlier...thanks for the feedback folks!

Basically from here on out.. If it is not well below freezing you will come out of the woods with 100+ lbs of mud on your tires.. AND you will rut the shit out of the trails.

Yeah. That was me. I started riding and got to some mushy parts and was like "WTF.. This isn't good"

It's OK. I should have come earlier or something. I get the six mile peanut butter speech from Luke every winter. I should know better. Lesson learned first hand. I'll plan earlier rides or just go somewhere else.

Sorry again. :/

Freeze/thaw is on. You have been warned. It will be 60 on Thursday and that sure sounds like a perfect shit-show in the making after a freeze tonight.

Nice seeing you on the trail this morning J-Dog!

Warning is no B S I started riding early and everything was still frosty till I hit the field section of white (where the sun hit) I was shocked at how quickly conditions turned from great to crap. So much so I will be proactively cutting out white if I am not able to hit it before the sun does. Or just walk that section (yes it was that bad).

Riding frozen trails is a lot more fun than I thought I actually dressed appropriately for the high 20 degree temps and I really had a ton of fun.

Rode by around 11 and the parking lot was packed with a large group ride just heading out. Probably a rutty mess by now.

Person rides on muddy trail and makes ruts.
person knows its winter time and the ground will freeze.
person rides frozen ruts and thinks this sucks
person rides the next sunny day and creates more ruts
all the same person
dont people THINK anymore?
no idea of cause and effect

My thought is that the people that build the trails /maintain should have the say if it's open or closed . To me there is no difference from a group going out to play or a race being held . Other then it's acceptable for a race ??? i stay in the rocks where it's safe .

these recent write ups on 6MR conditions are great, I now know to stay away till we get solid freezing temps
3 weekends ago, the place was spectacular, guess clay trails change quickly

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions