6 Mile Run Conditions

Poison ivy is now showing trail side, be careful if you stop and step off the pedals.

Got a late start (about 10 am) and the parking lot was PACKED. Only a few small puddles, otherwise the trails were actually pretty dry and dusty. I bit it hard, about 3 miles in, right after the small bridge crossing the stream where the Blue trail swings out right next to Blackwells Mills Rd. Luckily, my ribs were there to break my fall and I was just happy I didn't trash the new Garmin I just picked up eight days ago because I bounced my old one off the pavement riding my road bike.

I saw Wild Bill out there with the hedge clippers clearing trail and chatted it up for a couple of minutes. If you see the guys out doing TM, be sure to stop and let them know you appreciate the work they are doing.

I ended up cutting my ride short because my ribs were bothering me, still got 5th on the Lower Outer loop with the new Blue Section, LOL. Have fun out there today, just be careful in the turns....they can be a little loose.

Got a late start (about 10 am) and the parking lot was PACKED. Only a few small puddles, otherwise the trails were actually pretty dry and dusty. I bit it hard, about 3 miles in, right after the small bridge crossing the stream where the Blue trail swings out right next to Blackwells Mills Rd. Luckily, my ribs were there to break my fall and I was just happy I didn't trash the new Garmin I just picked up eight days ago because I bounced my old one off the pavement riding my road bike.

I saw Wild Bill out there with the hedge clippers clearing trail and chatted it up for a couple of minutes. If you see the guys out doing TM, be sure to stop and let them know you appreciate the work they are doing.

I ended up cutting my ride short because my ribs were bothering me, still got 5th on the Lower Outer loop with the new Blue Section, LOL. Have fun out there today, just be careful in the turns....they can be a little loose.

Glad you had fun, but seriously you guys have to give the Strava competition a break when as you said, the "place was packed." I almost had a head on with someone as he passed full speed, mid turn between myself and two stopped riders. I was going uphill, so at least I knew I had the right of way. He was going hard for the win.

Glad you had fun, but seriously you guys have to give the Strava competition a break when as you said, the "place was packed." I almost had a head on with someone as he passed full speed, mid turn between myself and two stopped riders. I was going uphill, so at least I knew I had the right of way. He was going hard for the win.

I doubt that has much to do with strava. People need to have bells on their bikes for that place if you plan on riding when it's crowded

I doubt that has much to do with strava. People need to have bells on their bikes for that place if you plan on riding when it's crowded

Nope. This wasn't a blind turn. We all saw each other. He just blasted thru at full speed right between us.

Which, might not bother me, but could easily scare the crap out of a more casual rider.

Last edited:
I wonder if it was the same dude who pretty much ran me off the trail right before crossing S. Middlebush. Didn't even hear him coming. I just so happened to turn around and he was flying right up my ass. A friendly 'rider back' would have been nice. Yeah, I'm always ringing my bell here. At blind turns, down and up hills.

Had a great time today, it was my first ride there. Started around 930. Some douche in an S5 pulled in crazy fast, basically acting lkke he owned the place while kids and others were riding their bikes in the lot. I should have said something.

Can't believe how much fun I had in a flat park. The ride was really a test run for my ankle which I've been having problems with for a week now, since there were no hills or jumps.

I saw wild bill and thanked him a thousand times, as did the other two riders that I was with. It was pretty loose on a whole bunch of corners. Definitely not expecting that. Towards the end, it started to get dusty.

Great times to be had, usual dry 6mr conditions, lots of dust, and loose gravel in the turns aside, great day to be here. Get it while you can.

Yes, indeed, great day for some Six Mile Run. A little busy mid-day, but really started to clear out late afternoon / early evening, as is typical. The only really moist section was the rooty side of the concrete bridge, but that's nothing new.

I had only previously ridden the new blue section heading toward Middlebush. Today I did it both ways, and the half pipe is actually much easier heading toward Canal Road. Or is it just me ? :) I see that there is now a bypass as well.

On my final lap of the day, as I was approaching one of the bridges, I spotted two women SITTING on it, dangling their feet over the edge. They made absolutely no effort to move out of the way, and in addition, they had a little dog that kept darting into the little remaining space that was left. Sheesh. If you want to sit, that's fine, but find a better place for it.

Last edited:
Nope. This wasn't a blind turn. We all saw each other. He just blasted thru at full speed right between us.

Which, might not bother me, but could easily scare the crap out of a more casual rider.

Could be strava. Then again could just be an asshole. There are plenty of assholes that ride at 6mr. I see more people riding without helmets there than any other park, and I occasionally run there and find more riders not yielding to hikers/runners - a few times I had to duck into the trees to avoid getting hit.

confirms why you won't see me there on weekends, maybe some early mornings before these helmet-less folks wake up. Friday afternoons are so quiet, couldn't imagine it could be even more so earlier in the week

Not exactly empty this afternoon but not crowded either. Trails were in great shape and the etiquette was top notch, climbers were yielded to, walkers were given right of way, maybe Monday afternoon is the optimal time to go. I use strava to track my rides but I know I'm never going to sniff anything beyond mid pack status so I don't let it make me ride crazy. I attribute the poor behavior to too many mountain dew commercials.

Did the area get hit with rain just now? I was going to pack my car with the bike to go for a quick ride after work tomorrow, but it had started to drizzle a little as I left work today (10 minutes north of 6 mile). I have heard to stay away for at least a few days if any rain at all falls on 6 mile.

It rained hard for a bit but considering how dry the place was today I don't think that little blast of rain making unridable tomorrow

its will be fine tomorrow if we don't get a ton of rain overnight.
go to chimney rock now and meet the guys - do a newman side loop!
they'll show you what you need to know!

Did the area get hit with rain just now? I was going to pack my car with the bike to go for a quick ride after work tomorrow, but it had started to drizzle a little as I left work today (10 minutes north of 6 mile). I have heard to stay away for at least a few days if any rain at all falls on 6 mile.

No problem. That place needs an hour of rain to go from a 3 to a 4. It's too dry right now.

Apparently there's always a good "Six Mile Weekend Story." I saw a guy blasting through the parking lot in a full face Bell helmet almost get tagged by a car backing out of a spot -- everyone in the lot saw it happening in slow motion but we couldn't get any noise out quick enough to get one of them to stop...

Not sure how it was before the rain yesterday but it was close to perfect today. Not what I would call tacky but fast nonetheless. A little loose in some spots. Just enough to keep you honest.

Really needs rain - getting really dusty. It was amusing following Dave last night seeing how high the dust rooster tails got off his rear wheel. Well amusing at the time, now I'm wondering how much dust is in my lungs

got caught in the shower this am. should be nice and tacked up now if we dont get any more rain. only passed 3 other riders at 830am. 2 of which had no helmets:(

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions