6-30-2012 Damage Report Anyone?

BonsaiMTB

Went out at 6:00pm, there is wood down the trail were you are better off walking ( should of not been on the bike ). Some of the trees that are down looks like a 18 inch bar on the saw will do it but I think the park will not go for that. There is alot of work in there and I didn't even ride that much of the trail. As for a geared bike in there I wouldn't do that. A lot of overhangs that do not look good. I wished I had my bow saw in the truck and get on some of the smaller stuff on the trail or at lease start on some of it. Did move what I could but there is alot of big shit on the trail.

I don't want to sound like a broken record (for those of you that even know what a record is..pre compact disc:) But....if your using a chain saw..please be careful and incognetto with it...they will (park ranger) give you a load of shit and may even summons you if they catch you using one in the park. I whole heartedly agree with using one..but for some reason they frown upon it and have threatened me more than once for using one...so just beware.

I maybe able to make a trail maintance day @ EMP this coming week..please keep us posted:)

Optiwizard

I do have a chainsaw and would be willing to do some work but wont be able to get out until Thursday but i'll be off thur Fri Sat and Sun next week. I wouldn't attempt to take the chainsaw back on the trail without being part of a tm crew that's telling me what to cut or have permission.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I can do this Monday 7/9, after 2:00pm and next Tuesday 7/17 in the AM. Can bring my bucksawfromhell and we still have sj_john's 2 man crosscut saw in the trailer... if a few more people show up. (Thanks John!)

Will email tomorrow, but consider this a deal. I will post up the time when the park confirms.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I do have a chainsaw and would be willing to do some work but wont be able to get out until Thursday but i'll be off thur Fri Sat and Sun next week. I wouldn't attempt to take the chainsaw back on the trail without being part of a tm crew that's telling me what to cut or have permission.

Good stuff! I am working on getting us chainsaw permission, but at minimum it will require a certification. For the time being its all hand tools for TM crew, and the park runs chainsaws when we need it. With all of the wood I cut this past week I am looking forward to NOT having a chainsaw in my hands. :D

The park staff has been pretty busy since the storm. Once they settle down anything we cant bucksawfromhell they will come in and clear for us.

Rocks & Water

You will need one

From how much of the trail I tried to ride there was some big wood across the trail. If a chainsaw is not allowed there is going to be alot of go arounds on the big wood ( there is alot of them ). As for the smaller stuff on the trail I'm going to try to get there after work a few times with the bowsaw. I will not cut anything that looks like a good logover. If anyone feels this is not right for me to do please post or pm me.

moray42

Merman
From how much of the trail I tried to ride there was some big wood across the trail. If a chainsaw is not allowed there is going to be alot of go arounds on the big wood ( there is alot of them ). As for the smaller stuff on the trail I'm going to try to get there after work a few times with the bowsaw. I will not cut anything that looks like a good logover. If anyone feels this is not right for me to do please post or pm me.

The larger of the 2 log overs on the stretch of trail that runs parallel to Rt 50 is courtesy of the bucksawfromhell when that tree was lying low over the trail after Irene. With that, the 3' saw, and Kurt's mad skill as a lumberjack:D it should be possible to clear up a fair amount.

Hopefully there will be enough manpower. If crews are going to be out during the week on a day i can make it then i'll be there. So far the previously mentioned Tuesday(s) should work. If i can't make it one of them i'll see what i can do about packing in with my 18" saw and pruners to make a dent.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions