31/31 ---> JULY 2017! CONTEST! WIN $100!

jackx

Did you get ice cream at the cali general store?
NO. We bring our own snacks/chews. The return half of the ride is more uphill and sometimes farther so we keep snacks light. I think the store across the bridge and on Main street up towards 513 closes around 3 or 4pm.

Ice cream would be nice at end of ride, though!

jackx

Our pace on the return was pretty slow because my wife's knee was bothering her from riding 2 days in a row. On some sections, I sometimes wonder if we can go any slower.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It's an Airplane quote. Making fun of Pat's semi-random question about ice cream.
Or
Have you ever seen a GMN?

Ice cream with spouse always a win!
Guess driving to Highbridge and doing the up first ??

jackx

It's an Airplane quote. Making fun of Pat's semi-random question about ice cream.
OK. I must've gotten it at least subliminally, because it triggered in my head "have you ever been in a Turkish prison"...and "have you ever seen a grown men naked?." but I didn't want to really obfuscate the banter.

jackx

Or
Have you ever seen a GMN?

Ice cream with spouse always a win!
Guess driving to Highbridge and doing the up first ??
There is a lot of up from High Bridge to Califon on the road, although that could be a nice option for those riding the flatter Columbia Trail round-trip.

I will have to see about planning a ride route that includes a DQ along the way, although my wife might prefer ice cream at home post-ride while watching Airplane!

Patrick

Staff member
Day 19 -

Spent 1:10 warming up, then went on a 3:45 sprint - came up 10 seconds short of the leader - Damn that Dave, he is everywhere.
20 mile, 1:20

https://www.strava.com/activities/1091770882

this is my usual position on the road - can see the fog line through the bars.
I must look like i'm taking up the whole lane.....

IMG_7038.JPG

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Day 19

After my 1:00 conference call I jumped out on the road for the least interesting ride of the month. There was nothing about this ride that was remarkable in any way, other than the absolutely brutal heat. If I could have called in a chilled box truck at the 1 hour mark to get me home, I would have.

July Challenge Day 19: Far too hot to enjoy much of anything about this day

1:39:46
24.9 miles

Overall

Days: 19
Rides: 23
Time: 47:05 (9:05 overage)

706436main_20121114-304-193blend_m6-orig_full.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Day 19 - Part I and Part II
Total Time : 2:51:37
Total Miles: 32.1

It was really hot during both rides today, more so earlier for sure. It was kind of annoying tonight because my Sir9 keeps dropping the chain off the cog. It makes me really nervous on climbs - I just keep picturing the chain popping and me knee hitting the stem. I think I just need to replace the whole drivetrain. I've tried everything but replacing the free hub housing, which I think is what I really need to do (it's kind of grooved out so the cog wobbles a bit.) At any rate, only marginally annoying - overall it was a good day to ride, even with the heat.

36036217775_9fb0f506e3_b.jpg

My weird cycle tan game is on point right now ...

35902285061_fe46d523ee_b.jpg

Nice night tonight, but it was still 89 degrees here at 9:00 tonight.

Patrick

Staff member
Day 20

Got out for a little bit longer ride today. Smart, i pick the muggiest morning to ride around for 3 hour.

45 miles 2:48
https://www.strava.com/activities/1092969953/overview

5451D63C-ADB4-435E-873F-E11F61BB8B8A-5327-000007F60101EA2C.jpeg

Why the bee? For the third time this year, i've gotten stung while riding the bike. Two on the mtb, this one on the road. Was buzzing along,
and suddenly i'm getting stung in the left shoulder blade. I had unzipped the jersey 5 inches to vent....
Well at least the one i got below the left butt cheek on monday isn't bothering me anymore compared to this one.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Day 20

Hectic day today. Put in a few hours yesterday so I could do a run to Six Mile, drop D's bike off at Halters, then go home. Well, I left the house at 8:00 am and got home just now at 3:00 pm. Where does the time manage to go? Well now I have new brake pads on my own bike and I did manage to have a nice lunch with D on the way home. As for the ride, it was brutal hot again but the trails were a-ok. Worst part was the parking lot on the other side. It was like riding on the surface of...a hot place.

July Challenge Day 20: Quick Six Mile Dragon before I go to get my brake pads replaced at Halter's

1:36:55
14.8 miles

Overall

Days: 20
Rides: 24
Time: 48:42 (8:42 over goal)

I confess I have been tired the last 2 days. The heat is catching up.

20245343_10213014305808321_7807259407284482210_n.jpg

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Day 20

Why the bee? For the third time this year, i've gotten stung while riding the bike. Two on the mtb, this one on the road. Was buzzing along,
and suddenly i'm getting stung in the left shoulder blade. I had unzipped the jersey 5 inches to vent....
Well at least the one i got below the left butt cheek on monday isn't bothering me anymore compared to this one.

This reminds me of the last time I did the Michaux Terror at Teaberry race. It was probably four years or so ago and I was having a decent but not great day - I was chasing second or third place (can't recall which) with the guy in sight but just out of reach for like 12 miles. At one point there was a section of the course that was hike-a-bike because of a set of downed trees. I hopped off the bike as pro-like as I could and was running over the tree pile and managed to step right in the middle of a hornets nest. At the time, I did what one should always do in that situation: I panicked, started screaming like a little girl, tossed my bike to the side and started to run like hell while frantically waving my hands all over the place. After they had their fill of stinging me (I think I got stung seven times or something), I retrieved my bike and decided that my chase was over and I basically took it easy the rest of the race. Until then I didn't know if I was allergic to their sting or not, so luckily that turned out to be a negative.

Bee stings on a bike ride suuuuuuuuuuck, but at least you can take solace in knowing that if you react anything like I do, then at least you would have provided entertainment for anyone who happened to see it happen.

Patrick

Staff member
This reminds me of the last time I did the Michaux Terror at Teaberry race. It was probably four years or so ago and I was having a decent but not great day - I was chasing second or third place (can't recall which) with the guy in sight but just out of reach for like 12 miles. At one point there was a section of the course that was hike-a-bike because of a set of downed trees. I hopped off the bike as pro-like as I could and was running over the tree pile and managed to step right in the middle of a hornets nest. At the time, I did what one should always do in that situation: I panicked, started screaming like a little girl, tossed my bike to the side and started to run like hell while frantically waving my hands all over the place. After they had their fill of stinging me (I think I got stung seven times or something), I retrieved my bike and decided that my chase was over and I basically took it easy the rest of the race. Until then I didn't know if I was allergic to their sting or not, so luckily that turned out to be a negative.

Bee stings on a bike ride suuuuuuuuuuck, but at least you can take solace in knowing that if you react anything like I do, then at least you would have provided entertainment for anyone who happened to see it happen.

@Dominique provided a reenactment at CR last Monday. Luke was not running the camera.....

i was gang attacked when my brother's friend threw a football at a nest while i was near it. so yeah....but 1 bee just gets smashed - or in this case, squeezed between my fingers.
I did ride open jersey for awhile. that was different.

Top Bottom