29+ Wheel build

numbnut

I'm looking to turn my Surly Ice Cream truck into a Krampus for the summer. Can anyone recommend someone to build a 29+ wheelset for me?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jimvreeland built me a set of carbon wheels. They have over 3000 miles on them, and many of them are pretty rough and rocky miles. They are still bomb proof and true, but they are actually fat wheels, not mid fat, so your mileage may vary.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Totally vote for you to build em yourself!

Lacing is one of my favorite bicycle maintenance activities. The satisfaction off turning the hub, then crossing the spokes is unmatched.

Mr.Moto

to build wheels, what tools do you need other than a stand?
dishing tool, tensioner?

A nipple wrench, tensiometer and lube. Wish I had the skills to build without a tensiometer, but I have come to depend on it. A stand has become more important in recent years with all the variations in sizes for both hubs and rims. Otherwise you could even use a frame or fork for one-offs if you don't want to invest in a stand. Dishing tool is handy but you can get away without if needed. My dishing tool is an older one, so it does not come set up to handle all the variations in hubs and rims.

Lube for threads and nipple/rim interface. You can read plenty on what other people use and make your own decision. I use anti-seize for the threads and oil for the interface.

And your favorite beverage always makes it more fun. ;)

Supermoto

Another vote for vreeland, He has done wheelsets and hub swaps for me. All of them have been great, turn around time was quick and at a price that made trying it yourself a nonstarter

Top Bottom