28c why does everyone look at me funny?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Cross the country on your bike and this becomes relevant conversation

Maybe
Was going to tagged you for the clearance question as I remember that one bike you had where the first couple rides the brake would be shaving off some tire.

mstyer

Pretty much so they don't rub on anything.....The safety peeps will tell you more than that doe.

Which Hi-Mod ? That terms applies to different frames. If it is the EVO hi-mod, I fit my 27 Victoria Pave's with plenty of clearance.

2012 Evo Hi Mod, and I'm using 20.8mm external width Shimano WH-7850-SL wheels. 28mm Schwalbe Ones tickle the underside of the fork crown and get uncomfortably close to the chainstays.

thehammerdog

So like most I started on 23's and went to 25's for a long time. After moving to a more rural area with worse roads I tried 28's and I instantly fell in love. But obviously their slower I thought. But after doing my normal loops I was even if not slightly faster than 25's. There's tons of info online about tire size battle, I don't want to go there. INSTEAD I'd like to talk why everyone is shocked and taken back that I'd want to run 28's. I don't race, but I love the confidence I get that I dont have to watch out for every pebble. I just bought a new bike and told him I'm putting 28's on. He said " you just bought a Porsche and you're turning it into a van". Another one I got is "you're young enough for 23's really". Am I honestly doing a disservice to my new bike by riding 28's? Someone out there show some 28c love. Or am I out of touch.
I ride both 25 & 28 different bikes as well as 27 x 1 1/4.... Actually prefer the bigger tired feel like a smooth race care....Unless your racing comfortable is the key.

goldsbar

How far the tire rolls in each revolution has absolutely nothing to do with efficiency.

If there is indeed a loss from a slightly wider tire - which as the OP mentioned has been debated for years on various forums with no clear resolution - it's small enough that 99%+ of the cycling population won't be impacted by the difference.

Top Bottom