28c why does everyone look at me funny?

YouRang87

So like most I started on 23's and went to 25's for a long time. After moving to a more rural area with worse roads I tried 28's and I instantly fell in love. But obviously their slower I thought. But after doing my normal loops I was even if not slightly faster than 25's. There's tons of info online about tire size battle, I don't want to go there. INSTEAD I'd like to talk why everyone is shocked and taken back that I'd want to run 28's. I don't race, but I love the confidence I get that I dont have to watch out for every pebble. I just bought a new bike and told him I'm putting 28's on. He said " you just bought a Porsche and you're turning it into a van". Another one I got is "you're young enough for 23's really". Am I honestly doing a disservice to my new bike by riding 28's? Someone out there show some 28c love. Or am I out of touch.

Mountain Bike Mike

I have a 28c on the rear of my road bike when I'm running the power tap wheel.. 25c on front

When I run a regular wheel (no power meter) I run 25.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
im in the same boat with a specialized tarmac s-works that just barely squeezes 28c , also triple wrapped bar tape all the time , screw em its your bike run what you like . Unfortunately my fork was getting chewed up pretty good so had to settle with 25c tire in the front

YouRang87

Tires ALWAYS get bought online. And new bikes ALWAYS get bought at the LBS. hey Ryan could you explain why your fork was getting messed up? And I feel great on 28's and so so on 25's.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's nothing wrong with a 28c if you can fit it. In professional bike racing, they have been bumping up their sizes over the years from the 22-23c standard up to 25-26c. Wider tires mean less air pressure, which in turn provides more comfort as well as more grip. The weight increase and aero drag is pretty insignificant for people like myself that don't race, so I can see myself on a 28c, though I'm currently on 25c. It also really depends on how much you weigh. I'm just under 200lbs. Lighter folks may be able to run a 23c at 80psi where I may have to ride the same tire at 120psi to prevent flats, and they would have a much comfier ride.

I'm guessing Ryan's fork was getting messed up because the 28c tire was too wide and rubbed inside the fork.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tires ALWAYS get bought online. And new bikes ALWAYS get bought at the LBS. hey Ryan could you explain why your fork was getting messed up? And I feel great on 28's and so so on 25's.
any debris that stuck to the tire would scrape the underside of the fork, after some time developed some nice grooves. width was fine

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a 28c on the rear of my road bike when I'm running the power tap wheel.. 25c on front

When I run a regular wheel (no power meter) I run 25.

Is there some special reason you run bigger on the back instead of front? It feels like reverse of MTB.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lighter folks may be able to run a 23c at 80psi where I may have to ride the same tire at 120psi to prevent flats, and they would have a much comfier ride.

I pump my 23c tyres up to 100. When I ride at 80 or even 90 the squishiness feels weird to me. But I haven't really given it much of a chance. I also finally got some 25c tyres so I can start experimenting.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Fatter tyres are in right now and rolling resistance is a function of the rubber, not the size. 28 rolls further than a 23 for each rotation, so if you have a 4000s in 28, it will be faster, not slower than its smaller counter part.

That being said, I run 23 or 25 depending on which is cheaper.

Mumonkan

i believe some guys in the pro peloton had 30s last year on the cobbles and other "classics"

my "skinny race tires" are 38, and i couldnt imagine riding anything smaller at this point. a wider tire is more comfortable, and since i like to ride 12 hrs at a time that kindof math helps a lot

@soundz - badonkadonk tires on the back of road bikes is generally for comfort (i havent heard of any other reason)

rick81721

Lothar
28 rolls further than a 23 for each rotation, so if you have a 4000s in 28, it will be faster, not slower than its smaller counter part.

?? Do you mean for the same RPM/gear you'll go faster? But wouldn't it take more power (heavier, more friction?)

Mountain Bike Mike

Is there some special reason you run bigger on the back instead of front? It feels like reverse of MTB.

No reason. I had the 28s on my hybrid / cx for commuting and had them sitting around. When I needed a tire, just used what I had. I would've used the 28 on the front but it rubbed the fender

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
?? Do you mean for the same RPM/gear you'll go faster? But wouldn't it take more power (heavier, more friction?)
In theory if it is the same tire in each size, the larger would be faster. I guess the question is which factor is more negligible, size, weight or increase contact patch.

The other factor is that you can run lower pressure with the bigger tire, which will roller over bumps faster because the tire is rolling over instead of "bouncing" over, but this is on the micro level.

Last edited:

YouRang87

ut oh. What's considered okay clearance and what's considered not enough on my frame. Any rules of thumb? Don't want to create issues.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The only reason I run 25s on my Hi Mod is because 28s won't fit. Schwalbe One tubeless
Pretty much so they don't rub on anything.....The safety peeps will tell you more than that doe.
ut oh. What's considered okay clearance and what's considered not enough on my frame. Any rules of thumb? Don't want to create issues.
Which Hi-Mod ? That terms applies to different frames. If it is the EVO hi-mod, I fit my 27 Victoria Pave's with plenty of clearance.

The Kalmyk

You should've seen how it was for me years ago at PFW rides with them on. Never ever got the 23c thing unless you're racing.

Top Bottom