27.5 plus

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
so you saying anyone who bought a 148 got dup'd?

148 was another bullshit move, to make room for plus sized wheels, and its not like you have much choice these days because most new bikes come with it. Like why not use the existing 157 standard? They'll tell you it was to make wheels stronger and stays shorter, but any decent bike designer can make stays shorter with 142, and a decent wheel builder can make you a stout pair of wheels with offset rims, that everyone is still using anyway even with boost.

And if 2.6 is so great, why aren't the elite guys racing with it?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
if 2.6 is so great, why aren't the elite guys racing with it?

The Elite guys/gals weren't running 29ers... now they're beginning to. Would that make it better? Heck, the elites could run tricycles and still be great. What the elites run is of no concern to me. I don't have their genetics or aptitude... if it works for me, I embrace it... if not... I never give it a second thought.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
The Elite guys/gals weren't running 29ers... now they're beginning to. Would that make it better? Heck, the elites could run tricycles and still be great. What the elites run is of no concern to me. I don't have their genetics or aptitude... if it works for me, I embrace it... if not... I never give it a second thought.

Point is, if something is that much better, and offers that much of an advantage, the pros run it too.

And they just started running 29 in DH (lot of hype, results to be seen). Enduro guys have been running 29 for years, but results haven't matched the hype. Whereas in XC, results have matched the hype. Will be interesting to see where this all nets out.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Elites run Tubulars, no non-world cup rider anywhere in the world runs tubulars on a mountain bike.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And they just started running 29 in DH (lot of hype, results to be seen).

Dhing has brought everything to the table in what works and what doesn't. My wife had bought a rotec dh bike back in 98 that tara llanes was racing. That thing was like 8' long which now most dh sleds are and can afford on 29ers. If that 29er wheel can hold up now through the garbage and punishment then its only natural the the bigger circle wins over the obstacles. Courses back then and today are a stark difference. My wives bike did not work at platty but fine at big bear in cali. Look at the dh sleds now long and the courses wide open.
I grew up where mx really had no jumps just whoops now its all about air time.
Santa cruz started lourdes on 29ers before the rain in dominate fashion. They the dhers show up with a couple knives at the fight every one of them.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ggp-tour-de-fat-fat-tire-bike.jpg

Top Bottom