26x2.25" tubes

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Looking for 26x2.25 tubes, presta or schrader. I know this might sound silly since they're easy to find but here's the deal. My son is getting into mtn biking and seems to slam into something and pinch flat nearly every ride and I'm tired of buying $8 tubes. Just thinking so many are on 27.5 or 29 and any 26" holdouts are running tubeless and some of you might have a bunch gathering dust you'd let go cheap. Cheap being the main thing. I'm in Denville so hoping for local meet up. Lmk, thanks.

THATmanMANNY

Is tubeless an option?

Ghetto tubeless (1” gorillatape and stans) has been like the bible to me that is if i was religious...

Not sure what rims he is riding but my 10yr old rims can still run tubeless without it being designed for tubeless.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
+1 on patch kits, those things hold up surprisingly long and they're cheap. Or bump up his air pressure and you'll get 2 benefits: less pinches and better bike handling

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Ghetto tubeless isn't a great option because the kid ain't ready to handle repairs if needed on his own. Patches are getting old quickly as he keeps managing to get holes the little dime size patches don't hold on.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Another trick for preventing pinches with tubes is to coat the inside of the tire with baby powder to help the tube slide instead of grab on impacts.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Another trick for preventing pinches with tubes is to coat the inside of the tire with baby powder to help the tube slide instead of grab on impacts.

Been doing that since the early 80's :).

Umm... what about injecting some stans into the tube?

That could work for him. Then he could still swap a tube in on his own if needed.

THATmanMANNY

Ghetto tubeless isn't a great option because the kid ain't ready to handle repairs if needed on his own. Patches are getting old quickly as he keeps managing to get holes the little dime size patches don't hold on.
Ghetto tubeless is your best option and is THE best mtb upgrade he can have. Most people still carry a tube with tubeless including myself. If the punctured/gashed tire is bad enough that the sealant wont seal then you just dump the sealant out and put in a tube. It is the same as swapping out a flat tube. I find it cumbersome and a crapshoot to fix or patch a tubeless tire while on the trail.

Top Bottom