2020 garden thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I had a solid raspberry patch going, but they slowly lost steam, and are now gone.
The local variety (along the edge of the yard) has stepped up its game. a bit weaponized, but solid crop on the way!

IMG_3639.JPG

Robin

Between the rain/high clay content and not being home much in June, my garden is a mess. Nothing but weeds. Is there anything I can plant now?

IMG_20190626_183843.jpg

ekuhn

Built this raised bed for my grandfather 3 years ago for Father’s Day cause he couldn’t reach the ground anymore. Now it’s back with me. Prob a month late planting those peppers. Hoping for something.

B1DE79E1-8978-4662-92DA-1D60D14E0263.jpeg

Cherry tomato plant was a quart sized pot compared to other tomatoes which were in 4 packs. Just can’t seem to get those others off to the races. Maybe I need better crop rotation or newer potting soil.

10EA677A-7187-4F1E-A832-11624605AB68.jpeg

E7CE81BF-9943-40B1-B2A6-A33817C40E54.jpeg

qclabrat

Built this raised bed for my grandfather 3 years ago for Father’s Day cause he couldn’t reach the ground anymore. Now it’s back with me. Prob a month late planting those peppers. Hoping for something.

View attachment 98320

Cherry tomato plant was a quart sized pot compared to other tomatoes which were in 4 packs. Just can’t seem to get those others off to the races. Maybe I need better crop rotation or newer potting soil.

View attachment 98321

View attachment 98322
Not too late for peppers they don't grow till temps stay in the eighties. Fertilize the matos well, you are about a month behind.

qclabrat

Maybe some zucchini? Scallions/onions? Those grow like weeds.
Too late for zucchini,
@Robin at this point plant mostly for the Fall. Waxy leafed plants like kale, chard, cabbage and even broccoli. Also good time to start fall root plants like radishes, carrots and beets. If you want some thing to harvest in the summer your choices are limited. I'd do a lot of bush beans and when they taper off in late August replace them with lettuce and other quick harvest greens. Season's not over yet, just need to rethink the options. Also consider mature pepper plants in the 8" or larger pots. But expect a late harvest

ekuhn

Not too late for peppers they don't grow till temps stay in the eighties. Fertilize the matos well, you are about a month behind.

Tomatoes went in May 18th ish. Same time as the large cherry tomato plant.

What kind of fertilizer? I had some liquid stuff but I never noticed a difference.

qclabrat

Tomatoes went in May 18th ish. Same time as the large cherry tomato plant.

What kind of fertilizer? I had some liquid stuff but I never noticed a difference.
I've been using Nature's Care by Miracle Grow for the past few years. There's a vegetable version
e5ef803d-4cf0-4ed0-9aaa-c711109ec42b_1.c6f8a64d65087317b50bdde4c3f6c91f.jpeg

qclabrat

What do you do with fennel? I'm not a big fan of the flavor, but keep getting it in my CSA.
Raw has a light licorice flavor which many don't like
I usually cook it with shellfish like mussels in a curry sauce.
My fennel, orange and kale salads are a real hit. Fennel does better as a supporting cast from my experience

Mahnken

Raw has a light licorice flavor which many don't like
I usually cook it with shellfish like mussels in a curry sauce.
My fennel, orange and kale salads are a real hit. Fennel does better as a supporting cast from my experience
The licorice flavor is what turned me off. How do you use it in the salad? I need more good salad recipes.

qclabrat

The licorice flavor is what turned me off. How do you use it in the salad? I need more good salad recipes.
slice paper thin season with balsamic, olive oil and fresh OJ
you won't taste the licorice and it's similar to tender celery without the veins and tough skin

Top Bottom