2018 NJ Rando series

liong71er

Great job Walter
Congrats finishing your first rando
Take this first event as your learning ropes
Most important is you made it home safely,. it's the journey that counts!!
Just like Jim states above "it's easier as you go along"..

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congrats on the finish. What was the total mileage? Not sure if I missed it in the write up, but looks like at least 90. Those skinny tubes will explode even in a 32 sometimes. Why did you decide on those tires rather than a 28 or 32?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
What time? I was slow and solo. That 10 mile stretch was the worst of the whole ride due to the strong head winds and the torturous noise off my helmet.
I was rolling north during the 11AM hour, headed up to Sandy Hook for some laps before hitting a few of the hills in that locale.

Nice work knocking off your first 200K. Long rides teach us all kinds of things.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Congrats on the finish. What was the total mileage? Not sure if I missed it in the write up, but looks like at least 90. Those skinny tubes will explode even in a 32 sometimes. Why did you decide on those tires rather than a 28 or 32?
Total miles a tad over 127 due to missing a few turns. You're from the EU, can't you convert 200k? ...

A few reasons for the wide tires. Wider for comfort and sucking up the potholes. Steel fork and weighing in close to 40 pounds seems like a good fit. The wheels were new and already need a truing after this ride. The frame, which is a Bruce Gordon Rock n Road, was built for the 43mm tires, which they also make by the same name. So 47 front and 42 rear is just a minor deviation. Also aero bars with wide tires are very comfy and compliant. Having trained for tris in the past, the tires take the sketchiness out when stretched out.

Had a quick chat with @jdog at his shop and he showed me the "new" tire size on the Konas for gravel bikes, 650b with 45mm rubber. We'll be talking about trying to squeeze +40s in all our gravel/adventure bikes soon.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We put 650x47 on almost every gravel bike that goes out the door. I get the idea but still prefer a faster tire for long distance events. Less wattage output per mile adds up fast for the really long ones. Carbon bikes have gotten so good that steel is dead. Covering ground on a 20 pound loaded bike is a lot nicer than a traditional Rando rig.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We put 650x47 on almost every gravel bike that goes out the door. I get the idea but still prefer a faster tire for long distance events. Less wattage output per mile adds up fast for the really long ones. Carbon bikes have gotten so good that steel is dead. Covering ground on a 20 pound loaded bike is a lot nicer than a traditional Rando rig.
These were my thoughts. Those new gravel wheelsets look sweet and all, but you’re pushing that extra rolling resistance. 28 work for stuff like H2H and MKF, so they’ll work for these. Don’t hit pot holes.

Reactions: rlb

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
These were my thoughts. Those new gravel wheelsets look sweet and all, but you’re pushing that extra rolling resistance. 28 work for stuff like H2H and MKF, so they’ll work for these. Don’t hit pot holes.

Last season I got zero flats in 12k miles on 25c tires. Both David's did 15k plus sans flats on 26c Turbos. Faster is faster and just as reliable. Win win.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I would imagine riding on wider tires would be forgiving on the arse.
Longer rides really kill my butt but then again, I recently realized my previous saddles sucked!

grilledcheeseking

Nice work finishing the ride up, looks like you had some stuff to contend with! This was my first one too. I would have been screwed if I was alone the whole time cause in my newbness I didn't have a way to clip a cue sheet to the bars. Garmin is less useful than I expected it would be. You were better prepared than I was.

The Kalmyk

Nice work finishing the ride up, looks like you had some stuff to contend with! This was my first one too. I would have been screwed if I was alone the whole time cause in my newbness I didn't have a way to clip a cue sheet to the bars. Garmin is less useful than I expected it would be. You were better prepared than I was.

I use Cue Clips with cut tires under them to stop them from rotating on me in weather. Ive used my office laminator to weather proof the paper.

The Kalmyk

Nice job Walter -
Fending off the negative thoughts to complete the journey is a win.

This is very very much on point. Knowing on longer rides the likeliness of highs and lows are almost inevitable, I've always tried to inoculate myself to the down times by telling myself over and over how much its going to blow. Treat poison with poison.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

anyone think this is too short a write-up, and needs pictures? :D
Good job on the finish!

rick81721

Lothar
Congrats on the finish and nice write up. Even on shorter solo rides i like to break it up into shorter segments, typically 25, 50, 75% of distance. Yes all mind games. Very impressive on such a heavy bike - 40 lbs for that distance is crazy!

qclabrat

Yeah, I think steel bikes are only going to be used in FLT in the near future. Also with the new bags designs, small panniers are becoming obsolete as well

qclabrat

did go you off in time? what was your ride?
congrats also for the finish, doing the 300K?

Top Bottom